MATCH: Gateshead (H) 26/08/24

Just now, daniel said:

Where does Dolan fit in?

From the (admittedly little) I know of him it sounds like he could be really handy in home games where the incentive is on Oldham to break down the opposition, like the Fylde game last week. We've got some good players in that midfield now but I'm not sure any of them are capable of a bit of magic to open up a tight defence 

Think Mellon mentioned he wanted more precision in the final third and was hoping Gardner might provide that. Once Dolan is up to speed- and presuming Khan signs - they would seem better alternatives, particularly as we need a goal contribution from that area

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

l thought we controlled the game fo 6 mins yesterday 

is that it? fuckinell BOOOOOO

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think Lundstrum has shown quite abit of improvement, I'd even go as far to say that from the players that were here from last year he's the one thats Improved the most he looks alot more confident and is showing that by his desire to get on the ball more.

In each of the 3 home games I've seen we've been the better team over the 90 minutes. I've been slightly concerned about not turning good possession and periods of play into goals in the last few games, whether that's getting a few of the forwards upto speed or if its something deeper I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me if once Norwood and Garner are fully fit or if/when the 2 potential new signings Stones and Kahn happen then I wouldn't be surprised if we really click and start to rattle off the wins.

8 points from the first 5 is a satisfactory start it's not sensational but it's not bad either we are not having to play too much catch up with the sides at the top but it could be better. We are more pleasing on the eye than the last 2 seasons where we've been very much result grinders. We are about 90% there to getting a promotion winning side, we just need that extra bit more to get us over the line in games hopefully it will come soon.

couldnt agree more. 

with regards to Lundstrum l think lots of people are just bein stubborn after making their minds up early. like @BP1960 did after watchin Charsley in a pre season match 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The board must be concerned about the drop in gates.

The BH fixture last season saw 6815 in attendance, with 125 coming from Solihull. Yesterday, we had 5583, with 213 from Gateshead. That's a drop of well over 1000 fans...

Yes, early days I know but the reported attendance is down almost 25% I think after three home games this season v last. That's a big drop. £25 for POTD is a lot if you are worried you won't be guaranteed entertainment and/or a Ltics win.

31 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

is that it? fuckinell BOOOOOO

couldnt agree more. 

with regards to Lundstrum l think lots of people are just bein stubborn after making their minds up early. like @BP1960 did after watchin Charsley in a pre season match 😉

This is it 100%. Some football fans have a weird stubbornness regarding certain players and would rather they fail than be proven wrong. The Charsley thing is just... odd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Where does Dolan fit in?

Not sure he'll be a first choice yet tbh. On rotation with Hammond / Charsley would be most likely. Khan can play centrally but in recent times he's been used on the left wing so he and Jes might be sharing that position based on form, fitness and fatigue.

Nice problems.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

This is it 100%. Some football fans have a weird stubbornness regarding certain players and would rather they fail than be proven wrong. The Charsley thing is just... odd.

I don't want anyone to fail I'm just giving my opinion. 

If they appear to be improving like Lundstram I'll say so. 

4 hours ago, josh_latics said:

Can we improve on Hobson? He cannot bring the ball forward like Monthe does on the other side, and his distribution is really poor. Perhaps Raglan on the right, and then someone a bit quicker in the middle would also stop us dropping too deep. 

I think that's harsh. A couple of times in the 2nd half, and in other games, Hobson has driven forward from the RCB position - he was combining with Ogle and Caprice quite nicely yesterday.

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

That is fair. I think switching him and Gardner would be best. Lundstram is at his best when driving with the ball at players. I don’t see him as the deep midfield player picking the ball up from the centre backs. 

Lundstram wouldn't get a look in if Gardner was the same age,

His reluctance to drive forward has held him back from chipping in with a few goals.

It'll come, there's still time if he takes it onboard 

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

But in this case (and I've only seen two games via terrible cameras)is it really fair and objective to pick him out quite frequently?  He's even chipped in with a couple of goals.  I've no particular opinion on him, largely because in the game v Fylde the picture was so bad I'd have had trouble distinguishing between him and Monthe!  It didn't help that my eyes were streaming from the sulphur dioxide cloud emanating from the volcano eruption in Iceland

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But in this case (and I've only seen two games via terrible cameras)is it really fair and objective to pick him out quite frequently?  He's even chipped in with a couple of goals.  I've no particular opinion on him, largely because in the game v Fylde the picture was so bad I'd have had trouble distinguishing between him and Monthe!  It didn't help that my eyes were streaming from the sulphur dioxide cloud emanating from the volcano eruption in Iceland

I may see things others don't see, if I stop seeing them I'll stop the frequency accordingly. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I may see things others don't see, if I stop seeing them I'll stop the frequency accordingly. 

Honestly,  and you wonder why people sometimes have a pop. You don't have to be a scout to see things at a football match. You do come across as a know it all. Just have an opinion like the rest of us. 

Edited by Lags
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Not sure he'll be a first choice yet tbh. On rotation with Hammond / Charsley would be most likely. Khan can play centrally but in recent times he's been used on the left wing so he and Jes might be sharing that position based on form, fitness and fatigue.

Nice problems.

Hammond is the only one I look at and think he’s not quite there. His work rate is first class, but I struggle after that. But he’s young, and if Lundy has taught us anything - it’s the art of patience. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Hammond is the only one I look at and think he’s not quite there. His work rate is first class, but I struggle after that. But he’s young, and if Lundy has taught us anything - it’s the art of patience. 

Maybe we should start calling him Hammy, make him feel more loved.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Charsley has been our best midfield player over the games. I don’t know what else you want him to do ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Charsley has been our best midfield player over the games. I don’t know what else you want him to do ? 

To be fair Charsley was poor pre season as he looked unfit and was blowing early in most matches, as the games have gone on he's looked much better, he's probably the first midfielder on the team sheet now, my one criticism would be his pass accuracy at times but he can work on that, I think he could play deeper as well but Mellon no doubt admires his work rate as well as his goal involvements. 

51 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Hammond would have been on from the start for me against Gateshead, we needed the high energy press early in the game, having said that I'm just a bloke on the terraces who has an opinion, I trust MM to get it right. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Hammond would have been on from the start for me against Gateshead, we needed the high energy press early in the game, having said that I'm just a bloke on the terraces who has an opinion, I trust MM to get it right. 

Same mate. 😂👍🏻

I said Gardener was awful first half yesterday, turns out MM got it wrong tactically and he suffered because of it. Second half he was much better and delivered a peach for the goal. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Looks busy to close down, but often stops short. If he improves that aspect he will be OK. 

That's my observation anyway. No point in discussing it further. 

Edited by BP1960

26 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Looks busy to close down, but often stops short. If he improves that aspect he will be OK. 

That's my observation anyway. No point in discussing it further. 

Don't think bone-crunching ball-winner is his style. As attacking midfielder his job out of possession is to close people down, hustle and hurry, shut down passing lanes , etc.

To that end I  think he is doing okay. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes, early days I know but the reported attendance is down almost 25% I think after three home games this season v last. That's a big drop. £25 for POTD is a lot if you are worried you won't be guaranteed entertainment and/or a Ltics win.

Don’t know so genuinely asking…

Financially is it a drop? Given the rise in ST prices and the knowing drop in ST holders. Didn’t Luke say there wasn’t a difference in the last meet the manager? 

58 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Don’t know so genuinely asking…

Financially is it a drop? Given the rise in ST prices and the knowing drop in ST holders. Didn’t Luke say there wasn’t a difference in the last meet the manager? 

The solution is quite simple really….continue playing decent football on a regular basis and win more games!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The solution is quite simple really….continue playing decent football on a regular basis and win more games!!

I reckon they may have already worked that out :)

We aren't far away at all it's just that final bit needs to click and when it does I think we might dish out a few battering to some of the teams in this division, that's when the crowds will really start to rise.

• Like 1