MATCH: Gateshead (H) 26/08/24

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I reckon they may have already worked that out :)

We aren't far away at all it's just that final bit needs to click and when it does I think we might dish out a few battering to some of the teams in this division, that's when the crowds will really start to rise.

Have a few more shots and be clinical with the finish when the chance arrives 😉

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

How did Hudson not get in the team of the week? 😄

As good as he's been that was a piss poor goal to give away and he must be disappointed by it, it's hard to even see how it's beat him, he should of caught it never mind saved it.

Saying that our main issue still remains and that's our inability to put the ball in the net, if we do that we probably have another 4 points on the board.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

As good as he's been that was a piss poor goal to give away and he must be disappointed by it, it's hard to even see how it's beat him, he should of caught it never mind saved it.

Saying that our main issue still remains and that's our inability to put the ball in the net, if we do that we probably have another 4 points on the board.

The Gateshead goal and the Monthe goal against Fylde show the value of an accurate shot from distance in this league.

The Gateshead goal did go right in the bottom corner, perhaps the power was deceptive, or Hudson was unsighted in some way, I was surprised he was beaten from that distance. He's not made many mistakes since he became number one and he's won/saved us more points than he's lost so plenty of credit in the bank. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

The Gateshead goal and the Monthe goal against Fylde show the value of an accurate shot from distance in this league.

The Gateshead goal did go right in the bottom corner, perhaps the power was deceptive, or Hudson was unsighted in some way, I was surprised he was beaten from that distance. He's not made many mistakes since he became number one and he's won/saved us more points than he's lost so plenty of credit in the bank. 

I think we'd need to see it from right in line to be sure what's happened, but going off how he struck the ball it will have started outside the post and curved in, ending just inside. It also bounced at probably the worst point for the keeper. I'd put more fault at the lack of closing down than the goalkeeping for this one.

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think we'd need to see it from right in line to be sure what's happened, but going off how he struck the ball it will have started outside the post and curved in, ending just inside. It also bounced at probably the worst point for the keeper. I'd put more fault at the lack of closing down than the goalkeeping for this one.

Bit of both but a recurring theme from the Fylde game about lack of closing down. Both very soft goals

• Like 1

14 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Don’t know so genuinely asking…

Financially is it a drop? Given the rise in ST prices and the knowing drop in ST holders. Didn’t Luke say there wasn’t a difference in the last meet the manager? 

I did wonder about that, actually. What was POTD last season - £22? If so that's gone up just under 14% and crowds to date are down nearly 25%. Of course it's very early days and I don't know the mix of fans i.e. how many are ST holders, how many POTD get concessions etc. On balance though I suspect gate money overall may be down so far, and we'd all rather see BP fuller rather than emptier.

42 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Yeah, very much so, meant to say that too. The lack of closing down was uncharacteristic, the lad was given far too much time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I did wonder about that, actually. What was POTD last season - £22? If so that's gone up just under 14% and crowds to date are down nearly 25%. Of course it's very early days and I don't know the mix of fans i.e. how many are ST holders, how many POTD get concessions etc. On balance though I suspect gate money overall may be down so far, and we'd all rather see BP fuller rather than emptier.

I’d be interested to see what the concession stats are for POTD season over season. £10 last season, and £19 this season. My Grandad certainly won’t be going to any games he has to pay for and will now only go on the rare occasion I have a spare ST. You could argue that it’s £15 in advance but he rarely makes a decision until on the day. 

On 8/27/2024 at 8:29 AM, TheBigDog said:

The PotD prices don’t help and are simply too high for the level of football. 

The increase for an Adult ticket (£20 to £25) is 25%

The increase for a concession ticket (£15 to £19) is 26.67%

Now I get that the intention behind the pricing structure is to encourage people to buy ahead of match day and also to know in advance how many are guaranteed (ish) to rock up on a Saturday but I cannot help thinking the pricing is too high for pay on the day.

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The increase for an Adult ticket (£20 to £25) is 25%

The increase for a concession ticket (£15 to £19) is 26.67%

Now I get that the intention behind the pricing structure is to encourage people to buy ahead of match day and also to know in advance how many are guaranteed (ish) to rock up on a Saturday but I cannot help thinking the pricing is too high for pay on the day.

It should be £20/£15 for everyone whatever the day you get it. The club only have themselves to blame for lower attendances this season. 

8 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

It should be £20/£15 for everyone whatever the day you get it. The club only have themselves to blame for lower attendances this season. 

There should be some discount for purchasing early to facilitate catering anf policing levels but the difference does appear too large.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

There should be some discount for purchasing early to facilitate catering anf policing levels but the difference does appear too large.

20 on the day and 18 in advance then. They are down 1500 from last season and less people will be paying for the food and drinks because its shocking and overpriced 

Edited by oafcmb

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

A goalkeeper at NL level should feel disappointed to let any goal from long range in low down, despite the awkward bounce. Top bag, they're often just worldies.

The hole in front of defence though which allowed the shot was unforgivable though. A hangover from last season which hopefully should get eradicated the longer the season wears on.

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

A goalkeeper at NL level should feel disappointed to let any goal from long range in low down, despite the awkward bounce. Top bag, they're often just worldies.

The hole in front of defence though which allowed the shot was unforgivable though. A hangover from last season which hopefully should get eradicated the longer the season wears on.

Yeah I agree, I think he'd be disappointed to be beaten from there. But that can happen, the bigger crime is the lack of closing down. 4 dropped points now in games where that's happened. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oafcmb said:

Exactly, why can’t the OAFC business model be, let’s make is easy and good value for the fans to attend, rather then, sod the fans this makes our life easier.

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Exactly, why can’t the OAFC business model be, let’s make is easy and good value for the fans to attend, rather then, sod the fans this makes our life easier.

Catch 22 ain’t it. You still have to monitor your competitors prices and what they are offering. You can’t blame the club for looking to charge what is about average throughout this league and in one of the best stadiums in the league. 
It’s £22 to stand in that shit hole at Altrincham on Saturday, and if I remember it’s also £24 POTD at Woking in 2 weeks, which whilst you can get seating is another open terrace. 

2 hours ago, daniel said:

Catch 22 ain’t it. You still have to monitor your competitors prices and what they are offering. You can’t blame the club for looking to charge what is about average throughout this league and in one of the best stadiums in the league. 
It’s £22 to stand in that shit hole at Altrincham on Saturday, and if I remember it’s also £24 POTD at Woking in 2 weeks, which whilst you can get seating is another open terrace. 

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I POTD. 

Last season was £24 POTD and £6 for my daughter.  I could get us both some food and a drink and be all in for £40. 

This season it’s £25 for me and it’s £8 for her. So £3 pound difference- which isn’t too bad but then comes the food, which has really gone up and there’s no change from £50 now. 

I don’t think it’s about comparing tickets prices though. It’s about the match day experience. What is fair price overall for parent and child match ticket with pie/chips and a drink? 

For division 5 football-

£40 was probably the upper limit all in. 

£50 is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Not really how business works though is it unfortunately. Ultimately thats what we are. 

52 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I POTD. 

Last season was £24 POTD and £6 for my daughter.  I could get us both some food and a drink and be all in for £40. 

This season it’s £25 for me and it’s £8 for her. So £3 pound difference- which isn’t too bad but then comes the food, which has really gone up and there’s no change from £50 now. 

I don’t think it’s about comparing tickets prices though. It’s about the match day experience. What is fair price overall for parent and child match ticket with pie/chips and a drink? 

For division 5 football-

£50 is ridiculous. 

Yeah I agree £50 for that is over the top. Such a shame too, the club should be encouraging adults to bring their kids along, fans of the future after all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

I POTD. 

For division 5 football-

£50 is ridiculous. 

I totally agree about the food, I missed lunch on Saturday and was going to pick something up at the ground, unbelievably a buger was £7.50 and they wanted £4 for the smallest tray of chips £11.50, with a drink it would of been over £15 which is scandalous really and I just went hungry. 

I've seen absolutely nothing from the club with regards to what's happening and I personally feel they are now taking custom for granted on a number of levels which isn't in line with the image they want to portray. 

I've actually contacted the club a couple of times since the back end of last season with issues surrounding matchday experiance and pricing and I've not even had a reply or an acknowledgement of the issues which is piss poor form.

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I totally agree about the food, I missed lunch on Saturday and was going to pick something up at the ground, unbelievably a buger was £7.50 and they wanted £4 for the smallest tray of chips £11.50, with a drink it would of been over £15 which is scandalous really and I just went hungry. 

I've seen absolutely nothing from the club with regards to what's happening and I personally feel they are now taking custom for granted on a number of levels which isn't in line with the image they want to portray. 

I've actually contacted the club a couple of times since the back end of last season with issues surrounding matchday experiance and pricing and I've not even had a reply or an acknowledgement of the issues which is piss poor form.

Don’t start on the cost of stuff in the club shop.