MATCH: Gateshead (H) 26/08/24

17 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't think today is a must win by any stretch, although it's probably important that we see a response to Saturday's result, I think that would be said at any stage of the season. It's also really important that the fans stay onside and are patient, I couldn't make it last Tuesday but it sounds like it was a really patient and positive atmosphere and I don't want us to slip into bad habits. That's not to say if we're being turned over there shouldn't be some reaction

The fans were behind them on Tuesday even though we weren’t great but on the back of two wins previous they were in the good books. If we lose today it might be different. I’m hoping if Norwood is back he can offer that spark up front but we still need another striker I think. 

I'm hoping the players keep believing in what they are doing as other than Saturday the squad we have assembled has looked largely solid, competitive and competent. 

Obviously we can see where we are a bit light and I expect that to be addressed in the coming days, we need to remember Dolan hasn't really trained with us and Norwood will probably be given half hour as he builds back up to full fitness so it's a bit of a case of sucking it up at the minute as options improve game after game.

I'm sure we'll see a reaction today, Conlon and Gardner particularly need to take control of the game and get on the ball and I hope the likes of Uchegbulam are brave on the ball and offer that outlet, I personally think Gateshead have had the easiest start of anyone fixture wise and I've got more faith in our current bunch than it appears many on here have, it should be a good game with a bank holiday crowd and I think we can edge it if we stick with the lads 

• Like 4

• Bender featured this topic

If Norwood is on the bench today I can see him coming on to massive cheers. Which would be quite the turnaround from being subbed to massive cheers at Oxford last season. 

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Obviously we can see where we are a bit light and I expect that to be addressed in the coming days, we need to remember Dolan hasn't really trained with us and Norwood will probably be given half hour as he builds back up to full fitness so it's a bit of a case of sucking it up at the minute as options improve game after game.

Said this a few weeks ago, another striker should’ve been signed because with Reid completed not fancied we might as well have one fit striker. It’s already bit on the arse with Mikey missing numerous chances, and like you say it’s unfair on Norwood just expect him to start scoring straight away. He’ll need game time. I think it will be quite a few weeks until we see our strongest starting 11, I just hope we’re still in touch by then. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Said this a few weeks ago, another striker should’ve been signed because with Reid completed not fancied we might as well have one fit striker. It’s already bit on the arse with Mikey missing numerous chances, and like you say it’s unfair on Norwood just expect him to start scoring straight away. He’ll need game time. I think it will be quite a few weeks until we see our strongest starting 11, I just hope we’re still in touch by then. 

Maybe the striker we want (hopefully Stones 🙏🙏) wasn’t available and we’ve had to wait.

I suppose we could have got someone in on a month’s loan but it’s not always that simple at this stage of the season.

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’re always a better player out of the team. 

His injury could be the best thing that happened in terms of his relationship with the fans. A few games where we’re short of options up front, he then comes back into the squad, off the bench and scores… relationship fixed. 

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I like big Mike but he’s never been our leading man.  Norwood with a new player is what’s needed on a week in week out basis. Mike on the bench and on when needed. Get this Dolan lad match fit and see what it brings. 

• Like 2

The team must take the game to Gateshead with enthusism, they are a decent footballing team, but have weaknesses, we aren't playing Manchester City, they are in the same league and didn't get promoted last season. 

• Like 2

I know they're a good team but a bit of perspective needed.

They've played, and beaten, three teams who I'd expect will be lower half cannon fodder. They've drew away to a team who will be upper half or mid-table in Halifax. Of course, I'd expect Gateshead to be right up there but despite being a bogey side, we should be favourites to win.

Expecting Norwood to be pushed forward a week and make the bench today. Possibly might start with Reid too and bring either Nors or Fondop on later in the match depending on the game situ. Dolan to start too.

I feel this is a different team mentally. We'll get setbacks but hope we continue our playing style and high press and not deviate into a defensive mindset at home.

7 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

They've played, and beaten, three teams who I'd expect will be lower half cannon fodder. They've drew away to a team who will be upper half or mid-table in Halifax. Of course, I'd expect Gateshead to be right up there but despite being a bogey side, we should be favourites to win.

Expecting Norwood to be pushed forward a week and make the bench today. Possibly might start with Reid too and bring either Nors or Fondop on later in the match depending on the game situ. Dolan to start too.

I feel this is a different team mentally. We'll get setbacks but hope we continue our playing style and high press and not deviate into a defensive mindset at home.

Don’t think there’s any chance of Reid starting a game tbh! 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

The team must take the game to Gateshead with enthusism, they are a decent footballing team, but have weaknesses, we aren't playing Manchester City, they are in the same league and didn't get promoted last season. 

Just for accuracy if they'd been allowed to participate in the play offs they might have been promoted.

26 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Could say the same about the two teams we've beaten.

No logical reason why we should be favourites to win.

20 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Could say the same about the two teams we've beaten.

No logical reason why we should be favourites to win.

At home to any team in this division this season we should be favourite this, we won't win them all but we should be favourites to do so.

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Nors starting is a big ask. Hope they haven’t rushed him back. 

He looks fit and ready to go, I'd rather start him than bring him on to try chase a game. Fondop needs a breather as well.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

They might have been promoted if they'd been allowed to take part in the play-offs