MATCH: Gateshead (H) 26/08/24

Guest O.A.F.C.
1 minute ago, AndyB2 said:

But heโ€™s the best centre half we have had in 20 years. Did you not see him against Braintree?

๐Ÿ˜

Just now, ghost of Leonard said:

Gateshead look much more comfortable on the ball.

I'm afraid whoever is responsible for recruitment should hang their head in shame.

We look such a poor team.

ย 

But the team is more balanced with square pegs in square holes is what I was hearing?

19 minutes ago, deckyd said:

This is abysmal.ย  No pressing, no urgency, certainly not on the front foot.ย  Being passed to death.ย  Do not understand the tactics at all.ย  Very very poor and undefendable.ย ย 

Playing very deep as well, has one result got Mickey scared??ย  It's walking pace and so easy for Gateshead.

ย 

ย 

The pace and depth of play has got worse since Lundstrom has been starting.ย 

First thought is always sideways or backwards and can't play a first time pass.....

• Like 1

A good game of football this, fairly end to end. They had a very dominant spell then we came back into it in the last 10/15 min. Other than their worldie and a shot from the angle they havenโ€™t created much to go with their good play. Weโ€™ve missed decent chances again. Ref doesnโ€™t seem to realise itโ€™s a contact sport.ย 
ย 

Anyoneโ€™s game.ย 

• Like 1

I can deal with them out-passing us, but we need to be exerting way more pressure on them, both with the press up the pitch and with physicality.ย 

ย 

I don't see what Lundstram is doing so deep and what Gardner is doing so advanced.ย  Lundstram actually has the energy and legs to press in a more advanced position, and Gardner alongside Conlon could control the ball in the centre of the pitch.ย  Added to that Lundstram doesn't really look for the forward pass and it's restricting what we can do going forward.

ย 

The goal was a good strike, but when we're supposed to have 4 central midfielders (deep or advanced) we shouldn't be letting a shot go unchallenged like that.

23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Charlsey, half hearted closing down and they score.ย 

Mentioned this before haven't I about him?ย 

Shut up you clown, Charsley is playing in a No 10 role so I'd suggest that Conlon was probably at fault, and Monthe and Raglan who seem reluctant to close down a man.

ย 

Gardner cannot play further forward he's fucked and a liability.

ย 

Jez done nothing and swanning around without a care in the world.

ย 

I'd be replacing Hobson, Jez and Gardner for Kitching, Dolan and Fondop and try and get a foot hold in the game, these can be got at but Norwood's so exposed he's nobody to link up with.

• Like 1

Not just Lundy, everyones second touch is a backwards pass.ย  Seems as though they are playing not only with the shackles on but absolutely shitting themselves for lack of a better descriptive.

ย 

I honestly think this is a Mellon call.ย  We have pressed high up in the other games, we seen happy to sit deep and let them play at walking pace.

ย 

Expect the second the second half to be very different, if not the natives will become very restless I think.

Edited by deckyd

Iโ€™ll be the first to say when we play well.ย 
ย 

But that was dogshit.ย 
ย 

No tempo.

No urgency.

Constantly playing backwards.ย 
No one running with the ball.ย 
We look leggy

We look laboured.ย 
ย 

Gateshead playing us off the park tactically.ย 
ย 

He needs to make changes.ย 
ย 

Jez needs hooking as does gardener.ย 
ย 

Get Caprice and Dolan on asap.ย 
ย 

Iโ€™ll be amazed if we turn this around.ย 

• Like 1

A very frustrating game so far - we really need some urgency from our players โ€ฆ

Gateshead are much better with, and without the ball than we are. I cannot understand is why most teams we play seem to work harder and press better than we do.

ย 

Gardner off at half time please.

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I can deal with them out-passing us, but we need to be exerting way more pressure on them, both with the press up the pitch and with physicality.ย 

ย 

I don't see what Lundstram is doing so deep and what Gardner is doing so advanced.ย  Lundstram actually has the energy and legs to press in a more advanced position, and Gardner alongside Conlon could control the ball in the centre of the pitch.ย  Added to that Lundstram doesn't really look for the forward pass and it's restricting what we can do going forward.

ย 

The goal was a good strike, but when we're supposed to have 4 central midfielders (deep or advanced) we shouldn't be letting a shot go unchallenged like that.

We have to be smarter when we do press, half the time it's just 1 man and it's piss easy to play through. These just have set plays, they know when they get pressed where their out balls are. We have to go as a team and take a few more risks, the wingbacks pushing up. Can't just have dangerous Dan running round like a maniac all game...

Just now, TheBigDog said:

A very frustrating game so far - we really need some urgency from our players โ€ฆ

Gateshead are much better with, and without the ball than we are. I cannot understand is why most teams we play seem to work harder and press better than we do.

ย 

Mellon's had his purple patch and now we're reverting to type

Losing ground and heading mid-table unless he gets us back on trackย 

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

ย 

Because he hasnโ€™t utilised his squad.ย 
ย 

Gateshead have made seven changes, weโ€™ve made two. Their ball retention and use is class, ours is woeful.ย 
ย 

ย 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Charlsey, half hearted closing down and they score.ย 

Mentioned this before haven't I about him?ย 

ย 

Positionally Conlon's at fault rather than Charsley.

ย 

Yes Charsley could be quicker to anticipate the danger, but Conlon was chasing the ball alongside Lundstram on the right.

ย 

Lack of anticipation isn't lack of effort, so calling a player half-hearted who is actually quite an energetic presser higher up the pitch isn't really correct, nor fair on Charsley.

• Like 1