MATCH: Gateshead (H) 26/08/24

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’re spot on Bosh. 

That game is the perfect example. 

We are still lacklustre in our mentality, the same players who look miles off it first half completely dominate the second half. That isn’t a lack of talent, it’s still needing a rocket to perform. 

I know a lot wrote off the whole first half but wouldn’t you say our improvement started at about 30/35 minutes? I thought we were much improved from then on. And then we kicked on in the second half and were even better. 

• Like 4

Well that was frustrating. First half was as bad as anything last season, gave them far too much respect. Second half, Latics started to press them up the field and they wobbled, much much better and how we haven't won in the end I'm not sure really. The block for Charsley's chance was absolutely ridiculous. 

Plenty to take from that second half, but i don't want to see a performance like that first half again 

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

Guest O.A.F.C.
7 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Cheers. Not as many as I thought. Not amazing that on a BH with no other footy on

As mentioned it's down to poor season ticket sales, expensive potd prices and being able to watch it from home. Other teams playing/not playing are irrelevant 

Edited by O.A.F.C.

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Well that was frustrating. First half was as has as bad as anything last season, gave them far too much respect. Second half, Latics started to press them up the field and they wobbled, much much better and how we haven't won in the end I'm not sure really. The block for Charsley's chance was absolutely ridiculous. 

Plenty to take from that second half, but i don't want to see a performance like that first half again 

You can say that again! :D 

• Like 1

Looking at the other results, the one that stands out for me is Tamworth winning 3-2 against Aldershot (after 21 minutes of added time!) their 1st National League win this season.

While 1 point from this weekend is annoying, I thought that Aldershot's high-tempo pressing on Saturday was an interesting tactic with a relatively small squad and another game 2 days later.

I'd like us to be higher than we are even at this early stage, but I can't see anyone storming this league this season and we just need to stay in touch until the last few weeks of the season before a big push at the end.  Fair play if Eastleigh do maintain what they're doing, but their inconsistency last season would point to them dropping off at some point.

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I know a lot wrote off the whole first half but wouldn’t you say our improvement started at about 30/35 minutes? I thought we were much improved from then on. And then we kicked on in the second half and were even better. 

Yeah, slightly. But from a very low bar. The second half was still miles better than the last ten minutes of the first half. 

I feel buoyed and frustrated after that. 

Play like we did second half, and we’ll win most weeks. But how can we start like that after a 4-1 loss?? Baffling. 

Edited by League one forever

First half absolute toilet. They're a good passing side, but that wasn't far off the Gateshead second string and, as soon as we pressed them, we won the ball back.

Second half much better. Extremely disappointing result and 2 points from 3 games a bit of a concern after winning the league against Braintree. 

Far too impotent up front again. Last four games, our scorers have been an own goal, centre half, right back, centre half...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Well that was frustrating. First half was as has as bad as anything last season, gave them far too much respect. Second half, Latics started to press them up the field and they wobbled, much much better and how we haven't won in the end I'm not sure really. The block for Charsley's chance was absolutely ridiculous. 

Agreed. 

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Looking at the other results, the one that stands out for me is Tamworth winning 3-2 against Aldershot (after 21 minutes of added time!) their 1st National League win this season.

While 1 point from this weekend is annoying, I thought that Aldershot's high-tempo pressing on Saturday was an interesting tactic with a relatively small squad and another game 2 days later.

I'd like us to be higher than we are even at this early stage, but I can't see anyone storming this league this season and we just need to stay in touch until the last few weeks of the season before a big push at the end.  Fair play if Eastleigh do maintain what they're doing, but their inconsistency last season would point to them dropping off at some point.

Top scorer in the league always gives you a chance

Guest O.A.F.C.
3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, slightly. But from a very low bar. The second half was still miles better than the last ten minutes of the first half. 

Play like we did second half, and we’ll win most weeks. But how can we start like that after a 4-1 loss?? Baffling. 

Not if we can't put our chances away

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

First half absolute toilet. They're a good passing side, but that wasn't far off the Gateshead second string and, as soon as we pressed them, we won the ball back.

Second half much better. Extremely disappointing result and 2 points from 3 games a bit of a concern after winning the league against Braintree. 

Far too impotent up front again. Last four games, our scorers have been an own goal, centre half, right back, centre half...

I really don't think Stones will be coming. If Norwood is going to play, then he needs more from the team behind him. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

They outplayed us for a huge spell in the first half and I agree we were well off it whether by design or not. The one positive I’ll take from that spell though is they didn’t create any chances when they were on top. 

It bodes well for when our transfer business is done and everyone is up to match fitness. 

4 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Top scorer in the league always gives you a chance

True, and with a good foil in Quigley and a pest in Chris Maguire alongside him they'll be a threat, but they conceded a lot last season and I'm not convinced they'll maintain their defensive record.

Their next match will be a very good test and a very long journey, Gateshead away.

Good game of football to watch today felt like we deserved to win. We gave them far too much respect first half and sat off. Players needed to be closer to Norwood who won everything.

Second half we pressed them well and forced them long. Not sure what Fondop and Gardner were doing. Both fannying around with the ball. 

Really don’t get Fondop for a big guy he wins very little flick ons 

Think Gateshead are vastly overated , I watched a rerun of their game against Yeovil the score flattered them. Yes they play the ball out around but pressure them and they panic . Think they tried to catch us out first half by using fresh players, seven of which didnt play /start for them Saturday. Thought we should have won the game today . Agree with Lee we need another goalscorer .Bit worried about Conlon after a good start maybe its the effects of his ilness but he looked a bit offf it again today . Thought Lundstram improved again today to me he looks to be getting better each game. Jess had a great secondhalf . Back three were good . Hudson at fault for goal .Good to see the true fans at the game stick behind the team . Read some right bullshit on the socials over the weekend really does make you wonder .

Started poorly, Hudson puts a bow on one for them and it changes the mood and we go in to our shells.

I keep reading Jez had a good second half, I thought he was poor, he didn't knock it and go once and he swans about like no other player I've seen, thought Dolan struggled when he came on as well he played a backwards pass 90% of the time, you'd take a point but again like the Fylde game we can't put them away because all our players go to pieces in the box, no composure at all and that's a huge worry.

• Like 1