MATCH: Gateshead (H) 26/08/24

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I called your opinion that of a clown 🤡  with an ulterior motive, Charsley voted man of the match by the way.

No one calls me a clown. You have a personal vendetta on my posts, a form of harassment IMO. 

I don't rate him and that's the end of it. 

Edited by BP1960

31 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I really don't think Stones will be coming. If Norwood is going to play, then he needs more from the team behind him. 

Every pass he made was misplaced today, it’ll take time with him. Surely we have some irons in the fire for a striker. 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Fondop needs to give his head a wobble. Don’t care how many fist pumps he does, just so so poor. 

We’re division 5 football club. Not every player is a proper footballer, not every player has sound technique. You need different types in a squad. 

We didn’t turn into Brazil second half, we just pressed much much better and it created chances. Play at a tempo we’ll win most weeks. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Barnet – 4/1… 1 point behind 

Forest Green – 9/1… level

Oldham – 9/1

Southend – 9/1… 2 points ahead

Hartlepool – 14/1… level

Solihull Moors – 14/1… 1 point ahead 

Rochdale – 14/1… level

Sutton - 14/1… 1 point behind

That’s how we’re comparing to the other pre season favourites. Are you writing off all their seasons too?

Edited by nzlatic
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

No one calls me a clown. You have a personal vendetta on my posts, a form of harassment IMO. 

I don't rate him and that's the end of it. 

We know (yawn).

Nobodies harassing you, yet again you're playing the harassment card when someone disagrees with you. Sad really.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We know (yawn).

Nobodies harassing you, yet again you're playing the harassment card when someone disagrees with you. Sad really.

It's you who is sad really, resorting to abusive language because you don't agree with my point of view. 

You will continue as long as you get away with it unfortunately, which is why you will be blocked, opinions are fine personal abuse is not. 

Goodnight for the last time.

6 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

Wont win many games when you are bringing Fondop on to find a goal. Might as well put Roger Palmer on 

Think this is a tad harsh but also in some ways very true!  Problem with Fondop is you never know what your going to get.  Some games unplayable and others poor. 

Today with the two on one with the keeper, 9 out of 10 times i would rather have Norwood. 

Personally don't think Fondop done much wrong other than could possibly have been quicker?  Some times he shoots from God knows what angle which can be frustrating.

• Like 2

Credit to Mellon today. Gateshead clearly a very technical side, all players know their roles and where they need to be in and out of possession. They have smashed teams in the past and will continue to do so this season. What happened in the first half is Gatesheads right back, Hannant, pushed on extremely high. This locked in Jez to mark him, allowing Gatesheads defence and midfield to have the run of the place on that side. Micky saw this and changed us tactically, which made the second half completely different. He told Jez to push on higher up the pitch and Manny to come wider to cover the space and pick up Hannant. This meant Gateshead very rarely had that outball. Conlon, Lundstram, Gardner and Charsley all locked on to Gatesheads midfielders giving them very little options. This forced Gateshead to go long a lot more, which is bread and butter for Hobson, Raglan and Monthe. Some people say Mellon is tactically inept, and that he’s abit of a dinosaur but today his adjustments were spot on. He stopped the best passing side in the league from playing. We had the chances to win the game in the second half but unfortunately it didn’t go in for us. Onto Alty.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

For all their possession football (which some of our fans hate when we try it) I don't think Gateshead created much.

We could/should have been level by half-time and could/should have won it comfortably in the end.

Missed chances have cost in the last three games. Our finishing must be sharper. If and when it is then we'll be fine.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Oldham_till_i_die said:

Credit to Mellon today. Gateshead clearly a very technical side, all players know their roles and where they need to be in and out of possession. They have smashed teams in the past and will continue to do so this season. What happened in the first half is Gatesheads right back, Hannant, pushed on extremely high. This locked in Jez to mark him, allowing Gatesheads defence and midfield to have the run of the place on that side. Micky saw this and changed us tactically, which made the second half completely different. He told Jez to push on higher up the pitch and Manny to come wider to cover the space and pick up Hannant. This meant Gateshead very rarely had that outball. Conlon, Lundstram, Gardner and Charsley all locked on to Gatesheads midfielders giving them very little options. This forced Gateshead to go long a lot more, which is bread and butter for Hobson, Raglan and Monthe. Some people say Mellon is tactically inept, and that he’s abit of a dinosaur but today his adjustments were spot on. He stopped the best passing side in the league from playing. We had the chances to win the game in the second half but unfortunately it didn’t go in for us. Onto Alty.

Spot-on 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

First half absolute toilet. They're a good passing side, but that wasn't far off the Gateshead second string and, as soon as we pressed them, we won the ball back.

Second half much better. Extremely disappointing result and 2 points from 3 games a bit of a concern after winning the league against Braintree. 

Far too impotent up front again. Last four games, our scorers have been an own goal, centre half, right back, centre half...

It's a fair point and I said before the season started, we wouldn't score enough goals to go up with 1 up front.

Our 10 and 8 and wide players just don't contribute enough goals between them.

We will need 75 ish goals I reckon to be in with a chance, and even if whoever plays the lone striker roll scores 25, where are 50 other goals gonna come from??

Just now, Boyyou said:

For all their possession football (which some of our fans hate when we try it) I don't think Gateshead created much.

We could/should have been level by half-time and could/should have won it comfortably in the end.

Missed chances have cost in the last three games. Our finishing must be sharper. If and when it is then we'll be fine.

We need to start better as well, other than the Braintree game we've been on the back foot the first 20, whether that's by design I don't know but we've got to be up for it sooner, two draws at home already is poor given the chances we've had.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

It's a fair point and I said before the season started, we wouldn't score enough goals to go up with 1 up front.

We will need 75 ish goals I reckon to be in with a chance, and even if whoever plays the lone striker roll scores 25, where are 50 other goals gonna come from??

For context in recent years Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts C all scored well over 100 goals going up, and Stockport 85 I think...

Just now, Londonboy said:

Defence is chipping in but only really Charsley looks like he's got a goal in him from midfield, Hammond, Lundstrum, Uchegbulam and even Conlon at times lack  composure and look scared to death when it drops, why won't Conlon shoot from 30 yards, plenty goals in this division are scored from that range but we seem afraid to have a pop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Barnet – 4/1… 1 point behind 

Forest Green – 9/1… level

Oldham – 9/1

Southend – 9/1… 2 points ahead

Hartlepool – 14/1… level

Solihull Moors – 14/1… 1 point ahead 

Rochdale – 14/1… level

Sutton - 14/1… 1 point behind

That’s how we’re comparing to the other pre season favourites. Are you writing off all their seasons too?

Yes I am and so should you.

8 points from the first 5 games has consigned us to this league for the next 20 years.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

We let our only goal scoring midfielder go. 🫣

On a serious note- you’re right. I don’t see us being high scoring, because I don’t think he have enough clinical or willing (to take chance) players. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be successful. You only need one goal to win a game. 

Edited by League one forever

Having only recently joined this forum and being generally unfamiliar with the national league, I come on here more to read and learn than owt else.

However I thought I should mention that I managed to watch most of the game online and was thereafter surprised to learn from you seasoned campaigners that Gateshead are known as a very polished side.
Watching with no preconceived expectations, other than a general hope that Oldham took the points, I must say that the Latics looked at least equal contenders in the 1st and the better of the two sides by a country mile in the 2nd half.

PS. I’ve noticed the word clown being used as a disparaging term and must point out that there are some wonderful clowns out there . . 

• Like 3