MATCH: Gateshead (H) 26/08/24

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We let our only goal scoring midfielder go. 🫣

On a serious note- you’re right. I don’t see us being high scoring, because I don’t think he have enough clinical or willing (to take chance) players. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be successful. You only need one goal to win a game. 

Actually we re-signed Gardner who scored a few back end, hence him being pushed further on today. 

You could argue the first half performance was affected by the very poor goal conceded , only one person knows how that somehow went in. Their left winger was a handful and our lack of support to our only striker returning from injury was a big issue. The second half was in my opinion an excellent half of football. Gateshead were on the back foot continually, desperately making subs to alleviate the pressure. That type of football will result in the playoffs and a chance to go up . Their right  wing had as many issues as our right wing had in the first half. The manager must be given credit for the half time improvement. I would still play 2 up front and try to win games 4-2 instead of 1 -0 but that is not likely to happen.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, EeeByGum said:

Having only recently joined this forum and being generally unfamiliar with the national league, I come on here more to read and learn than owt else.

However I thought I should mention that I managed to watch most of the game online and was thereafter surprised to learn from you seasoned campaigners that Gateshead are known as a very polished side.
Watching with no preconceived expectations, other than a general hope that Oldham took the points, I must say that the Latics looked at least equal contenders in the 1st and the better of the two sides by a country mile in the 2nd half.

PS. I’ve noticed the word clown being used as a disparaging term and must point out that there are some wonderful clowns out there . . 

We can't all be lion tamers !  😄

48 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We let our only goal scoring midfielder go. 🫣

On a serious note- you’re right. I don’t see us being high scoring, because I don’t think he have enough clinical or willing (to take chance) players. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be successful. You only need one goal to win a game. 

I’m hoping, and yeah it is mainly hope that Dolan can provide not only a plethora of assists for Nors, but maybe 15 goals himself. Once sharp and up to speed obviously 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick
Sharp not again 🙄
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldham_till_i_die said:

Credit to Mellon today. Gateshead clearly a very technical side, all players know their roles and where they need to be in and out of possession. They have smashed teams in the past and will continue to do so this season. What happened in the first half is Gatesheads right back, Hannant, pushed on extremely high. This locked in Jez to mark him, allowing Gatesheads defence and midfield to have the run of the place on that side. Micky saw this and changed us tactically, which made the second half completely different. He told Jez to push on higher up the pitch and Manny to come wider to cover the space and pick up Hannant. This meant Gateshead very rarely had that outball. Conlon, Lundstram, Gardner and Charsley all locked on to Gatesheads midfielders giving them very little options. This forced Gateshead to go long a lot more, which is bread and butter for Hobson, Raglan and Monthe. Some people say Mellon is tactically inept, and that he’s abit of a dinosaur but today his adjustments were spot on. He stopped the best passing side in the league from playing. We had the chances to win the game in the second half but unfortunately it didn’t go in for us. Onto Alty.

Great post and spot on btw

• Thanks 1

Literally a game of 2 halves.Thought Hudson should’ve done better for their goal,was way out and had plenty of time to see it to react.I think Lundstram is beginning to look like the player we thought we’d signed,hopefully Mellon can find the right combination of midfielders now he’s added Dolan aswell.Still like to see another striker,Reid is obviously not fancied so we do seem a little short of options in that position.

16 minutes ago, GrahamHughes said:

Literally a game of 2 halves.Thought Hudson should’ve done better for their goal,was way out and had plenty of time to see it to react.I think Lundstram is beginning to look like the player we thought we’d signed,hopefully Mellon can find the right combination of midfielders now he’s added Dolan aswell.Still like to see another striker,Reid is obviously not fancied so we do seem a little short of options in that position.

Which includes Gardner on the bench. Terrible first half.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Which includes Gardner on the bench. Terrible first half.

I prefer him sat in next to Conlon rather than blowing out of his arse killing the press further up the pitch, he literally doesn't have the legs anymore, it's weird we've not signed Khan yet because he slots in there for us and also offers that bit of quality on the ball. 

Must say Lundstrum is finishing off his games strong and is becoming more confident and assured with each game.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

In an ironic twist, plenty of Gateshead fans are saying they'd have lost that game last season...

So would we…………

2 hours ago, Oldham_till_i_die said:

Credit to Mellon today. Gateshead clearly a very technical side, all players know their roles and where they need to be in and out of possession. They have smashed teams in the past and will continue to do so this season. What happened in the first half is Gatesheads right back, Hannant, pushed on extremely high. This locked in Jez to mark him, allowing Gatesheads defence and midfield to have the run of the place on that side. Micky saw this and changed us tactically, which made the second half completely different. He told Jez to push on higher up the pitch and Manny to come wider to cover the space and pick up Hannant. This meant Gateshead very rarely had that outball. Conlon, Lundstram, Gardner and Charsley all locked on to Gatesheads midfielders giving them very little options. This forced Gateshead to go long a lot more, which is bread and butter for Hobson, Raglan and Monthe. Some people say Mellon is tactically inept, and that he’s abit of a dinosaur but today his adjustments were spot on. He stopped the best passing side in the league from playing. We had the chances to win the game in the second half but unfortunately it didn’t go in for us. Onto Alty.

Perfectly put. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

Didn't take long for some of the weapons to boo the team off at half time. I suppose they will never change. 

it's clearly the highlight of their week. total, total, sad as fuck weapons!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

We can't all be lion tamers !  😄

It’s said that in the circus the clowns played the fool but the idiot was the knife throwers assistant 😄

• Like 1

Guest O.A.F.C.
1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

it's clearly the highlight of their week. total, total, sad as fuck weapons!!

I'd say the sad as fuck weapons were the losers who applauded them after that first half shower of shite  

Guest O.A.F.C.
3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

In an ironic twist, plenty of Gateshead fans are saying they'd have lost that game last season...

Did you ask them what the fuck are they talking about? 

Edited by O.A.F.C.

29 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

I'd say the sad as fuck weapons were the losers who applauded them after that first half shower of shite  

l'd put them in second place, unless they did it as a response to the bitter boys. l can understand that l suppose.

45 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

It’s called support. Try it, you might actually like it.

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Started poorly, Hudson puts a bow on one for them and it changes the mood and we go in to our shells.

I keep reading Jez had a good second half, I thought he was poor, he didn't knock it and go once and he swans about like no other player I've seen, thought Dolan struggled when he came on as well he played a backwards pass 90% of the time, you'd take a point but again like the Fylde game we can't put them away because all our players go to pieces in the box, no composure at all and that's a huge worry.

Within a few minutes of dolan coming on he found space for a shot ,unfortunetly skied it,not unsual for him,few minutes later he pressed high in there box bullying there defender wining the ball and created another chance in the box which was skied by a team mate,few mins later on the 73rd minute he made a great run into the 6yard box for a tap him but wasn't picked out for a certain goal,tracked back countless times,i dont think he did too bad atall and will be fine once hes settled in

8 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

What is the point in booing at 1-0, when we could have gone in 1-1 if Monthe takes his chance.

i get booing if being drummed 3 or 4 nil.  But booing at 1-0 makes zero sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

They really are sad as fuck weapons aren't they?  They have no idea how to be a supporter.

When all the Victor Meldrew's have departed, it'll be far quieter but on the flip side, they'll be less money going into the clubs coffers,

Old age is a terrible thing, grumpiness is only the beginning.

I disagree we were poor first half. Sure it took some time to work out the press to nullify their passing finding space in between our lines.  Once we did they couldn't cope with us. 

I was disappointed with their goal,  the space afforded and distance but other than that they created little. 

The effort put in 2nd half was terrific and Gateshead were struggling to cope with us. I thought Charsley did well again after being below par at Aldershot. Special mention for Lundstrum whom I've been doubting, he did well yesterday. 

Credit to Mellon who juggled the side to gain the upper hand.  Ultimately we deserved to win that. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lags said:

Special mention for Lundstrum whom I've been doubting, he did well yesterday.

Maybe that's the position MM wants Lundstram in and DG will be replaced by Dolan or Khan? Seemed strange yesterday how DG was doing so much running - can't fault his effort but he won't play many games if he's asked to do that again.