MATCH: Altrincham (A) 31/08/24

• Bender featured this topic
24 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

This is a much different Altrincham side to last year. They'll finish mid table to bottom half and it is a game we really should be winning after 3 hugely disappointing results...

Exactly as I see it.

Also, a win here will get our season back into the "very good" start bracket 

There are no 'must win' games this early in the season but I think this is one we really need to be winning. We should have won on Monday and somehow managed to miss a glut of golden chances, if we keep doing that, it'll be another season of missing out. We really need to push on and start picking up all 3 points from games and it really needs to start now if we want to keep pace with the teams at the top of the league. Lets turn a middling start into a good start!

5 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

This is a much different Altrincham side to last year. They'll finish mid table to bottom half and it is a game we really should be winning after 3 hugely disappointing results...

It is and they've had a distinctly indifferent start. Their hammering at Sutton gave us a good insight. Nowhere near as robust and potent as they were last year.

Yep, we need to pick a win up sooner rather than later but I don't think you're likely to lose sight of anyone in top spot either. The results across the board show how unpredictable the season has been.

I was looking at Stockport's NL title winning season last night and they had a really average start. Something like one win in their first six or something. Up and down until December where they clicked into gear and won virtually every week until March. My point is, with quality additions, we're more than capable of a similar run and once you embark on something like that, you've automatically beaten some teams mentally as soon as you step on the pitch. I think Chesterfield found this last season, especially at home. We've already seen one or two teams adapt tactically to a a new Oldham Athletic which is evidence to me we're not being treated by the opposition as the suckers we were last season.

• Like 2

Guest O.A.F.C.
24 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It is and they've had a distinctly indifferent start. Their hammering at Sutton gave us a good insight. Nowhere near as robust and potent as they were last year.

Yep, we need to pick a win up sooner rather than later but I don't think you're likely to lose sight of anyone in top spot either. The results across the board show how unpredictable the season has been.

I was looking at Stockport's NL title winning season last night and they had a really average start. Something like one win in their first six or something. Up and down until December where they clicked into gear and won virtually every week until March. My point is, with quality additions, we're more than capable of a similar run and once you embark on something like that, you've automatically beaten some teams mentally as soon as you step on the pitch. I think Chesterfield found this last season, especially at home. We've already seen one or two teams adapt tactically to a a new Oldham Athletic which is evidence to me we're not being treated by the opposition as the suckers we were last season.

Because they sacked Simon Rusk in the November (whilst they were outside the playoffs), brought in Dave Challinor and only lost one game during the remainder of the season

44 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

they’ve won the same number of games as us. It will be a tough match. 

If Stones comes in I'd be tempted to throw him and Norwood straight in, we need to get this season started;

Hudson

Hobson

Raglan

Monthe

Ogle

Lundstrum

Conlon

Charsley 

Uchegbulam 

Stones 

Norwood

Subs;

Maloney

Caprice

Gardner

Khan

Dolan

Hammond 

Fondop

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Because they sacked Simon Rusk in the November (whilst they were outside the playoffs), brought in Dave Challinor and only lost one game during the remainder of the season

That can't be right because they had a wobble losing three from four before getting over the line ahead of Wrexham.

Guest O.A.F.C.
1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

That can't be right because they had a wobble losing three from four before getting over the line ahead of Wrexham.

Yeap you're right, I just checked.  

The point is Stockport had to change managers for their form to seriously improve 

20 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Yeap you're right, I just checked.  

The point is Stockport had to change managers for their form to seriously improve 

Stockport took a chance on a rookie Rusk who previously was under23s coach at a big club. It didn’t work out and the experienced Challinor took over.

Sounds very much like what has happened at BP.

Guest O.A.F.C.
10 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Stockport took a chance on a rookie Rusk who previously was under23s coach at a big club. It didn’t work out and the experienced Challinor took over.

Sounds very much like what has happened at BP.

Except Mellon hasn't had the same impact 

I'm going into games like this now expecting to us to win I think this is a good sign of how we are progressing..

How quickly will we throw Khan in you'd think he'd be on the bench for this. Norwood has had another weeks training which will help.

41 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

For every Rusk sacking I could counter you with umpteen managers who have come in and done nothing. For any manager to get the sack and the cost that comes with it, it needs to be serious underachievement given the time and resources. 

Unsworth was backed to the hilt- and was given a lot of time in the face of some prolonged shit results. Awful appointment- quite rightly got the sack. 

Mellon finished 10th from 35 games, it was average. His worst run was no wins in ten, but he only lost 3 of them as well. Was it disappointing he didn’t get us in the playoffs? Yes. Bad enough he deserved the sack? No. 

We have more points and are in a better league position this season than last. If Mellon gets us in the playoffs he’ll keep his job. If we don’t get in the playoffs he get the sack. 

I think the club and most fair minded fans just want to see progress. 

If he goes. 
10th

6th

He’ll be here next season to finish the job. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

I still think he needs sacking for us to make progress 

Guess you are either 🎣  or bored. Bit of a stupid comment , when its clear to see we have improved on last year .

Edited by penrhyn
typo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

if your expectation level is a new manage bounce of 21 wins from 24 matches then it’s perhaps set a bit too high!

He’s pretty much performed open heart surgery on a fairly dysfunctional and badly balanced squad over 9 months. Think he deserves a fair crack of the whip with it now. Green shoots of improvement are already starting to show.

• Like 4