MATCH: Altrincham (A) 31/08/24

In his post match presser. Why does Mellon seemed shocked/surprised that we keep missing chances? 

Mikey is an instinct player, capable of moments of brilliance. The minute he has to think about it, he fluffs his chances. 

Garner has never been prolific. 

It was in his gift to sort it, and he hasn’t. So don’t act bewildered that unless Nors plays every minute of every game. . . we will struggle to take guilt edge chances. 

6 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

true but this is division five!!

l can think of four he scored and he didnt play that many? so he should bang them in down here..

I'm with you on this

He was a real handful at PNE and should still have more than enough craft left, even at his tender age, to be a disruption to defences, win free kicks, bag a few and hold up to lay off.

Just wish we'd click and then someone's in for a tonking 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I'm with you on this

He was a real handful at PNE and should still have more than enough craft left, even at his tender age, to be a disruption to defences, win free kicks, bag a few and hold up to lay off.

Just wish we'd click and then someone's in for a tonking 

He'll have to stay on his feet to do most of that...

Confuses me why Garner gets so much praise for winning a few free kicks. Seems to be blowing out his arse everytime I have seen him play. 

I wouldn’t expect him to work in this current system, especially given he hasn’t had a pre season. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Confuses me why Garner gets so much praise for winning a few free kicks. Seems to be blowing out his arse everytime I have seen him play. 

I wouldn’t expect him to work in this current system, especially given he hasn’t had a pre season. 

He’s had as much of a preseason as Norwood!

he's class he's got a bit of magic, a bit of anger, a bit of shithousery and he runs around a lot. Teatime says he just needs a bit of rough and tumble in training and he will be ready to go. l'd start same XI but on 60mins l'd take off Gardner, move Charsley deeper and put Garner up top alongside Norwood.

lno theyre about 600 years old but l'd love to see them get a proper run of matches together l reckon they would legit smash it..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Mellon seems to prefer playing one up front.

If he does choose to play two up front, the option that worked best last season was Fondop and Garner.

Garner and Norwood did not work last season.  I don't know on what basis some seem to think playing those two up front will be better than what we saw last time round.

We're badly lacking a young, nippy, energetic striker..

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He'll have to stay on his feet to do most of that...

I've never forgotten that Corker he scored against Rotherham in the play offs

As for staying on his feet, must have learned some of Kevin Davies tricks at Deepdale.

Remember when that wily old sod was heading out of the box, Wes breathed on him and he gained a penalty, ridiculous but that's what experience can give you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

he's class he's got a bit of magic, a bit of anger, a bit of shithousery and he runs around a lot. Teatime says he just needs a bit of rough and tumble in training and he will be ready to go. l'd start same XI but on 60mins l'd take off Gardner, move Charsley deeper and put Garner up top alongside Norwood.

lno theyre about 600 years old but l'd love to see them get a proper run of matches together l reckon they would legit smash it..

Once again I must agree with all of this

I think he has a part to play and after more minutes under his belt, I'd expect we'll see a decent return 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

If he does choose to play two up front, the option that worked best last season was Fondop and Garner.

Garner and Norwood did not work last season.  I don't know on what basis some seem to think playing those two up front will be better than what we saw last time round.

No it wasn't our best form came in the middle of the season when we had first a combination fondop and Norwood and then Stones and Norwood.

Like it or Not Joe James Norwood is our best striker. He outscored the others last season he'll do it again this season.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

No it wasn't our best form came in the middle of the season when we had first a combination fondop and Norwood and then Stones and Norwood.

Like it or Not Joe James Norwood is our best striker. He outscored the others last season he'll do it again this season.

So Garner and Norwood didn't work and we need a young, nippy energetic striker (i.e Stones), then??

15 hours ago, JoeP said:

He said a while back that he is playing one up top because he needs the box midfield in order to not get overrun.

Personally I don’t think we need 3 at the back. Ogle, Raglan, Monthe and Caprice would do for me. 

I’d like us to have a left footed winger who can cut in off the right as still think we’re a bit imbalanced 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

He said a while back that he is playing one up top because he needs the box midfield in order to not get overrun.

Personally I don’t think we need 3 at the back. Ogle, Raglan, Monthe and Caprice would do for me. 

I’d like us to have a left footed winger who can cut in off the right as still think we’re a bit imbalanced 

Do Dolan or Khan tick that box?

I haven't read this thread too in depth so I'm not sure how popular this opinion will be, but I thought Saturday had a depressingly familiar feel to it. 

Overloaded midfield to little effect. We were good against Braintree (if that was something to be excited about...) and did well to come back against Gateshead and Fylde, but there was an itch there on Saturday that we'd slumped back to the Mellon side we saw last season. Maybe the element of the unknown with the new signings helped us in the first couple of games. Still good that we're picking up points mind...

Hope we really go for the jugular against Southend. Get Jes back to taking his man on and knocking it about tidily. 

40 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I haven't read this thread too in depth so I'm not sure how popular this opinion will be, but I thought Saturday had a depressingly familiar feel to it. 

Overloaded midfield to little effect. We were good against Braintree (if that was something to be excited about...) and did well to come back against Gateshead and Fylde, but there was an itch there on Saturday that we'd slumped back to the Mellon side we saw last season. Maybe the element of the unknown with the new signings helped us in the first couple of games. Still good that we're picking up points mind...

Hope we really go for the jugular against Southend. Get Jes back to taking his man on and knocking it about tidily. 

I thought we were really good for the first half hour, then after we scored I thought we were mixed. Overall from the games I've seen I thought it was probably our worst performance but yet we still had the better chances and should have won. Which I think is a big improvement on last season.

33 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think a lot of our fans are just looking for things that aren't really there at the moment and I'm not sure why, we are night and day from last season particularly performance wise and we've been unlucky we couldn't turn a couple of those draws in to wins

I thought three or four didn't quite play up to scratch on Saturday and that was probably the difference and that can happen, we dominated large parts of the game and should have really scored more.

I keep seeing snippets of play where Altrincham apparently played through us with ease which is frankly bollocks we controlled the midfield for the vast majority and outplayed Alty for the first 35, every team in this division will have passages of play where they have the ball so cutting a few 10 second clips is pointless really and proves nothing.

This team will come good and it won't be long before they are scoring two or three regular, you can see it in them we've just been a little unlucky in a few key incidents and have absolutely nothing to fear if you look at the last hour against Gateshead and the majority of the game against Alty.

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Not get overun?

There are no Manchester City's in this league, we should be on the front foot attacking them, not worrying about conceding a goal - which we inevitably do anyway when we sit deep. 

• Like 3