MATCH: Altrincham (A) 31/08/24

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

If Norwood stays on and he gets those chances Fondop fluffs he probably scores all three because he never looks like missing when he's in.

He missed a one on one in over half the games I saw last season (not a huge sample!). The one three minutes into the first game of the season springs to mind 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/jh2JnqRSPFxCc43Z/?mibextid=WC7FNe Markings poor but feel Hudson should

do better 

As good as he's been preseason the last couple of games have been poor from Hudson, Fondop takes all the shit but the last two games he's been party to the goalkeeping equivalent of missing a sitter and has cost us points, that's pretty routine stop no more than a yard to his right, last week when he is stuck on his heels and can't get down to a routine shot he should have put round the post, unfortunately there's no pressure on the GK position and there should be because he's been as poor as Fondop the last two games but nobody will talk about that.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

As good as he's been preseason the last couple of games have been poor from Hudson, Fondop takes all the shit but the last two games he's been party to the goalkeeping equivalent of missing a sitter and has cost us points, that's pretty routine stop no more than a yard to his right, last week when he is stuck on his heels and can't get down to a routine shot he should have put round the post, unfortunately there's no pressure on the GK position and there should be because he's been as poor as Fondop the last two games but nobody will talk about that.

Do we need to keep talking about any players errors?

We know they made errors, they know they made errors, keep pointing them out helps no-one.

Let's talk about the work-rate shown by Charsley to create the first goal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

If keepers made no mistakes most games would finish 0 v 0.

Unless you are right in line with the shot you can’t possibly know whether or not Hudson’s line of vision was obscured.

He’s been our most consistent player by far over the last season or so and has saved a damn site more points than he’s lost us!

25 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

We know they made errors, they know they made errors, keep pointing them out helps no-one.

Think he's just trying to highlight that some get a free ride whilst others are castigated for the slightest error.

In Hudson's defence the views on the last two goals he's conceded, although not glaring mistakes, are accentuated by his previous excellent form.

The amount of crap Fondop is getting is unjust and isn't going to help his confidence. 

Yes he missed a half chance earlier in the game and yes he missed a golden chance right at the end. The same chance he created ALL by himself after clearing the initial corner with his head. There's a reason he's playing in the National League and not League 1 or 2. 

Despite that, I do agree with the consensus he shouldn't be a starting striker but he's good enough for the bench. People keep mentioning the chances he's missing, I'd be more concerned if we/he wasn't creating these chances nor was he getting in the right place at the right time.

Think it's all gone a bit OTT with the frustration of not getting another striker in and the lack of options. As I said though, none of this constant calling him useless and shite is going to help his confidence.

His goals per game record since he joined is far from atrocious, never mind his goals per minute record.  

Edited by JumpingJoshLundstram
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

I've complimented Charsley for me he's been our most consistent player and a good signing.

For balance I've also praised Hudson in recent weeks on more than one occasion, he's becoming a complete goalkeeper but you can't get away from the fact he's contributing and a factor in games we are drawing instead of winning, it's not a witch hunt just observation, Hudson himself I expect will be disappointed as they are shots he'd routinely save and below what we normally expect from him.

Hudson fluffing a couple one end, Fondop missing sitters the other are the mistakes we need to iron out or at least minimise because it undermines what the rest of the team are trying to do.

I like how we are playing and our approach to games but we've got to turn good performances in to wins, not unlucky draws, draws in this division kill you and if you want an example Chesterfield drew five all season and we've drawn three in August, Barnet in second only drew eight. Since the turn of the year in twenty four games we've drawn half of them twelve, that needs to change if we are serious about challenging in the top two or three which is what I expect as a minimum.

We can discuss players performances without making it personal that's what a forums for.

• Like 1

I like Fondop as an impact sub. He also goes back to defend from set pieces and has made a few good clearance headers.

On Saturday he headed out a ball from our box near the end and then ran to receive the ball again which took him to the one on one at the other end. Pity that he fluffed that. He is not the perfect footballer but never gives up trying.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If keepers made no mistakes most games would finish 0 v 0.

Unless you are right in line with the shot you can’t possibly know whether or not Hudson’s line of vision was obscured.

He’s been our most consistent player by far over the last season or so and has saved a damn site more points than he’s lost us!

Fair point but surely the same goes for Fondop then?.

As for the two he's conceded I was right behind the goal against Gateshead and couldn't believe it had squirmed in, it travelled a mile and he was caught on his heels and the Alty goal is covered pretty well by their camera behind the goal, both were pretty routine, he's hardly had to travel to either to make the save yet both have gone through him, I bet you he's disappointed to let them in so I'd probably say it's fair that we are.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Hudson fluffing a couple one end, Fondop missing sitters the other are the mistakes we need to iron out or at least minimise because it undermines what the rest of the team are trying to do.

I get what you're trying to say but as much as they are mistakes they're always going to happen. No matter who we bring in. They aren't making these mistakes on purpose. Even the top players in the Premier League make the same mistakes in games, it's human nature.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Think he's just trying to highlight that some get a free ride whilst others are castigated for the slightest error.

In Hudson's defence the views on the last two goals he's conceded, although not glaring mistakes, are accentuated by his previous excellent form.

Yes but by doing this way it is saying don't just single out one player for being poor mention more and more players for being poor. It's like stand in a circle and point saying "you're shit, you're shit you're shit"

It seems a negative way of doing it. Maybe just don't single out any player but that is the Latics way, and probably a football trait for as long as I have followed it, although some Latics fans are better at it than most other teams. :)

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I've complimented Charsley for me he's been our most consistent player and a good signing.

For balance I've also praised Hudson in recent weeks on more than one occasion, he's becoming a complete goalkeeper but you can't get away from the fact he's contributing and a factor in games we are drawing instead of winning, it's not a witch hunt just observation, Hudson himself I expect will be disappointed as they are shots he'd routinely save and below what we normally expect from him.

I like how we are playing and our approach to games but we've got to turn good performances in to wins, not unlucky draws, draws in this division kill you and if you want an example Chesterfield drew five all season and we've drawn three in August, Barnet in second only drew eight. Since the turn of the year in twenty four games we've drawn half of them twelve, that needs to change if we are serious about challenging in the top two or three which is what I expect as a minimum.

We can discuss players performances without making it personal that's what a forums for.

Yes you probably have and to be honest I agree with more of your posts than disagree.

I just logged on this morning and saw that and it looked as though it was a "point out who is worse than Fondop" post.

I put it down to Monday morning blues and only just recovered from the booze up in Alty afterwards.

It still warms my heart bumping into fellow Latics fans in every bar/pub we went in. There you are am feeling better already :)

23 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

I get what you're trying to say but as much as they are mistakes they're always going to happen. No matter who we bring in. They aren't making these mistakes on purpose. Even the top players in the Premier League make the same mistakes in games, it's human nature.

On that basis, Mellon shouldn't be moaning about it in the pre match presser then. 

Of course they are going to happen and I know they aren't going out to fuck up but they need to be ironed out particularly if it's the same player making them.

43 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Yes you probably have and to be honest I agree with more of your posts than disagree.

I just logged on this morning and saw that and it looked as though it was a "point out who is worse than Fondop" post.

I put it down to Monday morning blues and only just recovered from the booze up in Alty afterwards.

It still warms my heart bumping into fellow Latics fans in every bar/pub we went in. There you are am feeling better already :)

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

We can discuss players performances without making it personal that's what a forums for.

From the one who called me a clown. 

😵‍💫

1 hour ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

The amount of crap Fondop is getting is unjust and isn't going to help his confidence. 

Yes he missed a half chance earlier in the game and yes he missed a golden chance right at the end. The same chance he created ALL by himself after clearing the initial corner with his head. There's a reason he's playing in the National League and not League 1 or 2. 

Despite that, I do agree with the consensus he shouldn't be a starting striker but he's good enough for the bench. People keep mentioning the chances he's missing, I'd be more concerned if we/he wasn't creating these chances nor was he getting in the right place at the right time.

Think it's all gone a bit OTT with the frustration of not getting another striker in and the lack of options. As I said though, none of this constant calling him useless and shite is going to help his confidence.

His goals per game record since he joined is far from atrocious, never mind his goals per minute record.  

Couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We can discuss players performances without making it personal that's what a forums for.

From the one who called me a clown. 

😵‍💫

I won't respond as I don't want you to get an injunction out on me.

Anyway how's Charsley doing...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I won't respond as I don't want you to get an injunction out on me.

Anyway how's Charsley doing...

😂

@BP1960 doesn't have that in his locker

He merely points out the inadequacies of the player's, whilst highlighting better options out there,

Just imagine what sort of team we'd be watching if he was pulling all the strings with signing's

Most definitely far better than 3 season's of this

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Hudson's still massively in credit for me but I wonder if the change of goalkeeping coach has impacted on him negatively? There's bound to be a change in style and routines. I think I'm right in saying that Hudson does his pre-match and HT routines with Moloney now, not with the GK coach who seems very involved in giving instructions to outfield players.

May be completely unrelated but Hudson was near faultless last season, player of the season for me. I'm sure he'll return to top form sooner rather than later.

And generally, if we had won the games against Gateshead and Altrincham there would be far less analysis of mistakes that have in effect cost us the game, let's hope we return to winning ways on Saturday.

12 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Hudson's still massively in credit for me but I wonder if the change of goalkeeping coach has impacted on him negatively? There's bound to be a change in style and routines. I think I'm right in saying that Hudson does his pre-match and HT routines with Moloney now, not with the GK coach who seems very involved in giving instructions to outfield players.

May be completely unrelated but Hudson was near faultless last season, player of the season for me. I'm sure he'll return to top form sooner rather than later.

And generally, if we had won the games against Gateshead and Altrincham there would be far less analysis of mistakes that have in effect cost us the game, let's hope we return to winning ways on Saturday.

Hudson does the pre-match routine with Davies and Maloney...

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hudson does the pre-match routine with Davies and Maloney...

Thanks, I thought I might have got that bit wrong although I do think Davies is less hands on than Collis (no pun intended) from the warm ups I've seen. Regardless, the change of coach is still a point. 

Edited by Hemel latic

12 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Thanks, I thought I might have got that bit wrong although I do think Davies is less hands on than Collis (no pun intended) from the warm ups I've seen. Regardless, the change of coach is still a point. 

He's let soft goals in for as long as he's been here, I'm surprised people are looking at it as a new thing...

21 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's let soft goals in for as long as he's been here, I'm surprised people are looking at it as a new thing...

You've been very consistent in that view.

Been meaning to ask you for ages, when are you going to get that sticky full stop button on your keyboard fixed?