MATCH: Altrincham (A) 31/08/24

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think a lot of our fans are just looking for things that aren't really there at the moment and I'm not sure why, we are night and day from last season particularly performance wise and we've been unlucky we couldn't turn a couple of those draws in to wins

I thought three or four didn't quite play up to scratch on Saturday and that was probably the difference and that can happen, we dominated large parts of the game and should have really scored more.

I keep seeing snippets of play where Altrincham apparently played through us with ease which is frankly bollocks we controlled the midfield for the vast majority and outplayed Alty for the first 35, every team in this division will have passages of play where they have the ball so cutting a few 10 second clips is pointless really and proves nothing.

This team will come good and it won't be long before they are scoring two or three regular, you can see it in them we've just been a little unlucky in a few key incidents and have absolutely nothing to fear if you look at the last hour against Gateshead and the majority of the game against Alty.

Hope so. 

Got to be honest, I viewed it slightly differently. We dominated possession in the first half hour without really hurting Alty. After that, I thought it was all pretty pedestrian. 

We had the goal, Norwood's one of the line and Mikey's chance, but apart from that didn't create masses. Alty created some decent opportunities too. A draw was about right.  

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I keep seeing snippets of play where Altrincham apparently played through us with ease which is frankly bollocks we controlled the midfield for the vast majority and outplayed Alty for the first 35, every team in this division will have passages of play where they have the ball so cutting a few 10 second clips is pointless really and proves nothing.

There is just as much 'bollocks' in this post.

Second half we never came out and our midfield was frankly out muscled and dominated by Alty. With Lundstram contributing next to nowt and Conlon lightweight it is going to happen again. We desperately lack size and physique or presence in midfield-more so when Gardner goes off.

Bet nobody there on Saturday was surprised when they equalised.

Watched this and the FA cup game last year which we won against a much better Alty side and didn't see a great deal of difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Not get overun?

There are no Manchester City's in this league, we should be on the front foot attacking them, not worrying about conceding a goal - which we inevitably do anyway when we sit deep. 

But we didn’t get overrun. We murdered them for the first half hour or so, they got a bit more of the ball and we survived a decent shot from them pinging over the bar off a defender.

Second half they came at us after an undoubted rocket from their manager, scored a set piece goal that we should have done better with, but I can’t remember them having too many clear cut chances after that. I think Hudson made a couple of decent stops all game.

It’s a shame that Norwood went off at the hour mark, as he’d have made a better fist of the chances that fell to Fondop (who’ll be disappointed in himself for not putting at least one away).

It was a warm day with drinks breaks, so you can’t expect to play at full pelt for the full 90 minutes. I went last season and the two performances were like night and day. I left the ground disappointed but not angry or deflated as I could see the obvious improvement.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

But we didn’t get overrun. We murdered them for the first half hour or so, they got a bit more of the ball and we survived a decent shot from them pinging over the bar off a defender.

Second half they came at us after an undoubted rocket from their manager, scored a set piece goal that we should have done better with, but I can’t remember them having too many clear cut chances after that. I think Hudson made a couple of decent stops all game.

It’s a shame that Norwood went off at the hour mark, as he’d have made a better fist of the chances that fell to Fondop (who’ll be disappointed in himself for not putting at least one away).

It was a warm day with drinks breaks, so you can’t expect to play at full pelt for the full 90 minutes. I went last season and the two performances were like night and day. I left the ground disappointed but not angry or deflated as I could see the obvious improvement.

Perhaps you didn't enter the ground with an agenda ? 😉

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

There's a pattern in games where all  3 central midfielders sit back at the same time. 

That's the core of the problem and it's up to the manager and players to address it.

We have the perfect players for a 442,  but as long as we have 3 centre backs and 2 sometimes 3  midfielders sitting deep with 1 striker nothing will change IMO. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

There's a pattern in games where all  3 central midfielders sit back at the same time. 

That's the core of the problem and it's up to the manager and players to address it.

We have the perfect players for a 442,  but as long as we have 3 centre backs and 2 sometimes 3  midfielders sitting deep with 1 striker nothing will change IMO. 

Who's our "perfect" left back, Caprice ?

I don't know 'cos I've not seen him play.

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Assuming no injuries in the squad, who would you play in the 442? 

25 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

No reason Jes couldn't play right wing with Otis Khan on the left wing with Ogle and Caprice behind them. 

Let them attack with no worries about defending and supply Fondop and Norwood. 

Dolan and Conlon in midfield. 

I'd prefer Raglan and Monthe at centre back. 

MM won't do it though so just an opinion. 

Edited by BP1960

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

No reason Jes couldn't play right wing with Otis Khan on the left wing with Ogle and Caprice behind them. 

No offence but that midfield is getting ran through at will.

• Like 3

Cant play two in midfield in this league . Its full of teams with meat grinder midfields . We just need to be patient and wait untill we get the right combination in attack. Wether its an existing personel combination or one with a new addition. To be fair none of know how well a Garner /Norwood combo would work in this team as the team is totally different from last year. 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

If I was picking the team for next Saturday, I’d go 3-5-2 and  I know ten of my starting eleven:

Hudson - Hobson, Raglan, Monthe - Ogle, Conlon, Dolan, Charsley, Khan - Norwood & ???

👍

I had hoped that the ??? would have been Stones…

I like the 3-5-2 we play, we've created the better chances in every game we've played we've just been unable to take them, changing the formation doesn't improve that getting better players in upfront does.

I'd like to see us try 3-5-2 or a 3-1-4-2, personally if everyone is fit I'd be going with;

Hudson

Hobson

Raglan

Monthe

Conlon

Ogle

Dolan

Charsley

Kitching

Garner

Norwood

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I think a lot of our fans are just looking for things that aren't really there at the moment and I'm not sure why, we are night and day from last season particularly performance wise and we've been unlucky we couldn't turn a couple of those draws in to wins

I thought three or four didn't quite play up to scratch on Saturday and that was probably the difference and that can happen, we dominated large parts of the game and should have really scored more.

This team will come good and it won't be long before they are scoring two or three regular, you can see it in them we've just been a little unlucky in a few key incidents and have absolutely nothing to fear if you look at the last hour against Gateshead and the majority of the game against Alty.

Until we're scoring two or more goal's per game this will always be the case

We don't win and that is there.

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Take the Job BP

I don't think it could be any worse

I don't know why people have this obsession with playing 4-4-2 it's as if it's the holy grail.

I actually think this squad has the players to play 4-4-2 but it has the players to play a couple of other systems too. If you watch how we are set the wing backs are pretty much playing as wingers so the idea that playing an extra man at the back Makes us more attacking is mute. If you watch how we are set up when we are taking goal kicks we are pretty much set up as a 3-3-4 with Jez and Ogle pushed right up level with Norwood or Fondop and Charsley is also playing alongside the striker.

If we need to make a change this weekend I'd take out one of the 3 midfielders Lundstrum Gardner on Conlon and replace them with either someone like Dolan or despite his recent missed chances I'd even put Fondop uptop with Norwood.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

This formation stuff is a nonsense at the minute. 

We take our chances- we’re 6 points better off and sat pretty. 

The formation isn’t the issue, the paucity of striker depth is. 

Spot on this.

Gateshead 2nd half we missed about 3 sitters. We missed an open net first half as well. 

Altrincham we should have scored at least 3. Despite the 2nd half being panned we missed 2 glorious chances. For the first half an hour it looked like a League 1 team playing a NL side, in our favour. 

We aren’t missing half chances or shooting from miles out either, we are missing absolute sitters. 

Eventually we have to start taking chances and getting wins otherwise pressure will ramp up. However, I’ve seen enough to suggest it will click soon. 

Had we even been slightly more clinical in recent games we are probably sat in top 3 now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

This formation stuff is a nonsense at the minute. 

We take our chances- we’re 6 points better off and sat pretty. 

The formation isn’t the issue, the paucity of striker depth is. 

Indeed. Wrexham scored a shit ton in this league while playing 3 at the back. They didn't need to move a player forward to score.

We've been hit really badly by injuries to Norwood and Garner and then not getting new strikers over the line.

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I think the idea of just going for it does a disservice to other teams in the league. There are some very well coached and well organised teams that I think would walk through that midfield for example.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I think the idea of just going for it does a disservice to other teams in the league. There are some very well coached and well organised teams that I think would walk through that midfield for example.

Who are these teams with super midfields? 

We would be 5 goals up anyway so no need to worry about that. 😄

Edited by BP1960