MATCH: Altrincham (A) 31/08/24

10 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

There is just as much 'bollocks' in this post.

Second half we never came out and our midfield was frankly out muscled and dominated by Alty. With Lundstram contributing next to nowt and Conlon lightweight it is going to happen again. We desperately lack size and physique or presence in midfield-more so when Gardner goes off.

Bet nobody there on Saturday was surprised when they equalised.

Watched this and the FA cup game last year which we won against a much better Alty side and didn't see a great deal of difference.

Agree. Midfield risks being powder puff whilst lundstrum is in it. He is a boy trying to play a man’s game

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

This formation stuff is a nonsense at the minute. 

We take our chances- we’re 6 points better off and sat pretty. 

The formation isn’t the issue, the paucity of striker depth is. 

From the (two) games I have seen, I wouldn’t say we have failed to take a disproportionate number of chances. In a third game we let in 4 goals and so even with chances taken, will lose that game 19 times out of 20

this ‘if only we took our chances’ narrative is a fallacy. 

We could be several points worse

off if the other teams took theirs you know 

Edited by AndyB2

8 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

From the (two) games I have seen, I wouldn’t say we have failed to take a disproportionate number of chances. In a third game we let in 4 goals and so even with chances taken, will lose that game 19 times out of 20

We let in goals whilst chasing the game. If Mikey takes his chance at nil nil it's a different game. But you knew that. Didn't you?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

I’ve watched every game. 

We’re only talking about 4 of the 6 games, because we took maximum points in the first two. 

Aldershot- we deserved nothing. 

In the three draws, (and as MM said) it’s not half chances we’re missing it’s absolute guilt edge chances- missing open goals, missing one on one’s with keeper. It’s not run of the mill - you have a shot, we have a shot. They’re chances that 19 times out of 20 you should take. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ve watched every game. 

We’re only talking about 4 of the 6 games, because we took maximum points in the first two. 

In the three draws, (and as MM said) it’s not half chances we’re missing it’s absolute guilt edge chances- missing open goals, missing one on one’s with keeper. It’s not run of the mill - you have a shot, we have a shot. They’re chances that 19 times out of 20 you should take. 

And even in the Aldershot game, as has been pointed out above, had we taken our chances then we wouldn't have been chasing and leaving ourselves open to the counter.

Like you say, we're missing great chances and coupled with that, we aren't giving up those sort of chances. So it's totally valid to make the point that if we put some of those away we're much better off. 

• Like 1

It's not just that our xG is healthy our xG against our defence is very strong which means we are not offering up much to the opposition by way of chances.

Gatesheads xG against us was about 0.15 xG which is very low and just shows you how much we limited a decent football team who are now 7/2 favourites to win the division.

Goalkeepers should really be keeping clean sheets when an attack is as impotent as that but that's another story.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I’ve watched every game. 

I dunno. We could've ended up losing some of the draws we had. The Gateshead game is the one I know least about because I didn't go and haven't seen highlights - sounds like we missed sitters in the second-half, but could we have been more than one down at half-time?

Fylde at home we missed chances, but so did they. They missed a one on one to win it almost identical to Fondop's on Saturday. Alty as well, after Fondop's one on one they went through and put it wide. 

Fylde and certainly Alty were fair draws. I don't think you can mark chances missed as us being unfortunate, when it the opposition are doing similar. 

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's not just that our xG is healthy our xG against our defence is very strong which means we are not offering up much to the opposition by way of chances.

Gatesheads xG against us was about 0.15 xG which is very low and just shows you how much we limited a decent football team who are now 7/2 favourites to win the division.

Goalkeepers should really be keeping clean sheets when an attack is as impotent as that but that's another story.

And as we all know there's only one stat that matters

15 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Take the Job BP

I don't think it could be any worse

In my exerience many managers are overhyped. I found the Burnley TV documentary as it is with Vincent Company a shocking example of a foul mouthed manager who lost all respect from me. 

Why they think belittling players is the thing to do is beyond me.

It wouldn't be tolerated in most workplaces. 

As for tactics many won't change no  matter how obvious It's not working. 

Signing players is often who they know mainly past their best instead of scouting for new talent. 

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

In my exerience many managers are overhyped. I found the Burnley TV documentary as it is with Vincent Company a shocking example of a foul mouthed manager who lost all respect from me. 

Why they think belittling players is the thing to do is beyond me.

It wouldn't be tolerated in most workplaces. 

As for tactics many won't change no  matter how obvious It's not working. 

Signing players is often who they know mainly past their best instead of scouting for new talent. 

Chicken and egg I think.  They know that if they don't get success quickly they'll be fired so try to stick to what they know as they have some confidence in it.  It's a very damaging cycle, as we know more than most.  There seems to be an influx of younger managers with slightly unusual backgrounds so maybe things will change, but it's like turning an oil tanker round

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Chicken and egg I think.  They know that if they don't get success quickly they'll be fired so try to stick to what they know as they have some confidence in it.  It's a very damaging cycle, as we know more than most.  There seems to be an influx of younger managers with slightly unusual backgrounds so maybe things will change, but it's like turning an oil tanker round

Hope so, but  Kompany was a modern player who's been at top clubs so I wonder how he developed his foul mouthed attitude. 

As you say if it's successful even in the short term it will continue. I just think there are better motivational technics than a form of bullying. 

It's been called out in other sports and even Strictly Come Dancing. 😑

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I dunno. We could've ended up losing some of the draws we had. The Gateshead game is the one I know least about because I didn't go and haven't seen highlights - sounds like we missed sitters in the second-half, but could we have been more than one down at half-time?

Fylde at home we missed chances, but so did they. They missed a one on one to win it almost identical to Fondop's on Saturday. Alty as well, after Fondop's one on one they went through and put it wide. 

Fylde and certainly Alty were fair draws. I don't think you can mark chances missed as us being unfortunate, when it the opposition are doing similar. 

Did we have any chances against Fylde...?

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Did we have any chances against Fylde...?

Fondop should have hit the target from the edge of the box in the first half, got one header on target in the second-half that the keeper saved well and headed another over. Think Hobson had a free header inside the 6 yard box in the first-half that he didn't get on target...

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Missing headers from 6 yards out- Flyde.

Missing an open goal- Gateshead. 

Missing when clean through with no one around you- Alty. 

Their chances. 

Fylde- Haughton put their striker through, our centre half was on his shoulder and put him under pressure, he took a poor touch because of it and Hudson made a good stop. Good defending. No way is that comparable to Mikey missing the Alty chance- where he is nicking it on the half way line having no one within ten yards of him and missing. It was such a good chance, Parkinson in post match presser said- we got out of jail at the end there. 

Gateshead- they missed a good chance at the end when he fired over from an angle at about 12 yards. That is no way comparable to missing an open goal. 

Atly- they go through at the end, he is on an angle and our defender puts him under pressure he shoots wide, and Hudson doesn’t even have to make a save. It was good defending. 

• Like 1

I’m not a one eyed fan at all, if we’re shit and not creating guilt edge chances I’ll be the first to say it.

But it’s undeniable that we’re missing really easy chances, while at the other end it’s a mixture of half chances/poor finishing and good defending - which every team has. 

58 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Their chances. 

Fylde- Haughton put their striker through, our centre half was on his shoulder and put him under pressure, he took a poor touch because of it and Hudson made a good stop. Good defending. No way is that comparable to Mikey missing the Alty chance- where he is nicking it on the half way line having no one within ten yards of him and missing. It was such a good chance, Parkinson in post match presser said- we got out of jail at the end there. 

Gateshead- they missed a good chance at the end when he fired over from an angle at about 12 yards. That is no way comparable to missing an open goal. 

Atly- they go through at the end, he is on an angle and our defender puts him under pressure he shoots wide, and Hudson doesn’t even have to make a save. It was good defending. 

In Fondop's defence a defender got back quickly to his left restricting his options to the right and the keeper came out well to save his effort. Yes Haaland might have scored it, but he's not in his class of course. 

I'd also credit Fondop with making the chance for himself by catching the defender in possession then racing away - and for all Norwoods finishing ability he wouldn't have done that. 

What I'd do with Fondop is intensive composure training as he tends to rush his finishing. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Hope so, but  Kompany was a modern player who's been at top clubs so I wonder how he developed his foul mouthed attitude. 

As you say if it's successful even in the short term it will continue. I just think there are better motivational technics than a form of bullying. 

It's been called out in other sports and even Strictly Come Dancing. 😑

Best half I've played in my life was after my manager held me round the throat at half time and told me to "put a shift in !".

Not saying it'd work for everyone but it certainly made me focus !  😄

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Best half I've played in my life was after my manager held me round the throat at half time and told me to "put a shift in !".

Not saying it'd work for everyone but it certainly made me focus !  😄

Then you had him arrested for GBH of course. 🤔

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

In Fondop's defence a defender got back quickly to his left restricting his options to the right and the keeper came out well to save his effort. Yes Haaland might have scored it, but he's not in his class of course. 

I'd also credit Fondop with making the chance for himself by catching the defender in possession then racing away - and for all Norwoods finishing ability he wouldn't have done that. 

What I'd do with Fondop is intensive  composure training as he tends to rush his finishing. 

A bit late to coach a 30 year old to relax whilst finishing.

His basic mistake was not giving hisself an angle when the goalkeeper advanced.

Move it half a yard and hit it whilst the goalie's adjusting his position. I doted on Jimmy Greaves and learnt loads about finishing although admitedly nowhere near professional level.

Fondop appears to be picking up little from Norwood.

56 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Their chances. 

There's a bit of subjectivity with both points of view but in the draws we've had, both teams could argue having a better striker would've given them the win..

It definitely looks like we've improved on last season taking all things into account but I still think Saturday was a bit too familiar, after a couple of games where we haven't won (I know we didn't lose either, etc...). We need to start winning again - starting Saturday.

• Like 1