MATCH: Altrincham (A) 31/08/24

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

In Fondop's defence a defender got back quickly to his left restricting his options to the right and the keeper came out well to save his effort. Yes Haaland might have scored it, but he's not in his class of course. 

I'd also credit Fondop with making the chance for himself by catching the defender in possession then racing away - and for all Norwoods finishing ability he wouldn't have done that. 

What I'd do with Fondop is intensive composure training as he tends to rush his finishing. 

That’s like saying a keeper made a good save just before he let in the howler. The previous good work becomes moot if the end result is a goal or a blatant missed chance.

I like Mikey, I’ve said many times what his attributes are, (they lead to the chance as you say) but he’s been a pro for a long time BP and never been prolific - because he isn’t composed or calm. He’s instinctive player who the minute he has to think - fluffs his lines. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeP said:

I dunno. We could've ended up losing some of the draws we had. The Gateshead game is the one I know least about because I didn't go and haven't seen highlights - sounds like we missed sitters in the second-half, but could we have been more than one down at half-time?

Fylde at home we missed chances, but so did they. They missed a one on one to win it almost identical to Fondop's on Saturday. Alty as well, after Fondop's one on one they went through and put it wide. 

Fylde and certainly Alty were fair draws. I don't think you can mark chances missed as us being unfortunate, when it the opposition are doing similar. 

They were but if we have any real ambition of getting out of this league, these games should have been put to bed.

7 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

They were but if we have any real ambition of getting out of this league, these games should have been put to bed.

Well, yes. There's been undeniable improvement. Enough to get excited about? I'm not so sure...

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 4:37 PM, TheBigDog said:

If I was picking the team for next Saturday, I’d go 3-5-2 and  I know ten of my starting eleven:

Hudson - Hobson, Raglan, Monthe - Ogle, Conlon, Dolan, Charsley, Khan - Norwood & ???

👍

I had hoped that the ??? would have been Stones…

A thought… Will Khan be on international duty this weekend?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

A thought… Will Khan be on international duty this weekend?

I just frantically googled Pakistan national football team fixtures and I couldn't see any upcoming fixtures.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

In Fondop's defence a defender got back quickly to his left restricting his options to the right and the keeper came out well to save his effort. Yes Haaland might have scored it, but he's not in his class of course. 

I'd also credit Fondop with making the chance for himself by catching the defender in possession then racing away - and for all Norwoods finishing ability he wouldn't have done that. 

What I'd do with Fondop is intensive composure training as he tends to rush his finishing. 

Lol, I don’t think the psychological gems learned in intensive composure training, is going to help him much.

You may do better explaining about the sweet-spot of a football, and the best way to strike it is to watch the path of the football longer. The same concept as watching the ball all the way onto your bat or racquet. (Ducks down in anticipation of all the experts replies.)😁

Watched mellons interview again from Saturday he can’t moan at Mike Fondop missing chances. He resigned him and not signed a striker when he knew garner and Norwood were injured form the start of pre season. 

Fondop is a limited player he’s going to miss more than he scores. If we aren’t going to replace him then expect more chances to be missed 

18 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Watched mellons interview again from Saturday he can’t moan at Mike Fondop missing chances. He resigned him and not signed a striker when he knew garner and Norwood were injured form the start of pre season. 

Fondop is a limited player he’s going to miss more than he scores. If we aren’t going to replace him then expect more chances to be missed 

Technically he's replacing him with Norwood and Garner. Norwood will probably be playing full or nearly full games from now on and Garner can't be far from the bench.

Maybe the plan now is to see how those 2 get on until January then sign someone for the rest of the seaon if we're still short.

• Bender unfeatured this topic