MATCH: Altrincham (A) 31/08/24

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agreed on Linney, he had a great game.

You’re also right on a pattern emerging. . 6 games in.  Is that Mellon, tactics, personnel? 

Personally think it’s a combination of all 3. 

He really needs a couple of ninety performances. 

And I guess that has to start with our next game, Southend at home.

I dread to think what the fans reaction will be if we lose.

I’m trying to stay positive but the last few games are following a very familiar pattern and one that we all know so well.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, League one forever said:

As much you hate the doomsday crew, you’re not far off the other way. 

The truth is always in the middle.

1 defeat in 6 is statistically correct, but it’s just an ok start. Because as another stat shows- 9 points from 6 games is very middle of the road. 

Ok was ok last season. 

Ok is not ok this season. 

I’m not asking him or expecting him to win the title, but at the very least we should be in the top 7. However the performances are going increasingly patchy and the results reflect that. If we’re 18 points after 12 games he should and will be under pressure. 

4 games to armageddon 

We need a couple of wins just to keep us around the pack, can't be more simple

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But he didn’t.

So we’re not. 

Unlucky is not a trend. It’s a pattern which demonstrates a lack of quality. 

Case in point. Norwood.

One good chance. One goal. 

If these two things had happened then the world would be a different place

Just now, AndyB2 said:

If these two things had happened then the world would be a different place

Of course. 

And if auntie had bollocks she’d be my uncle. 

Interesting stat on Twitter. 

We have one more point after 6 games than Shez did two years ago. That’s so depressing. 

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

As much you hate the doomsday crew, you’re not far off the other way. 

The truth is always in the middle.

1 defeat in 6 is statistically correct, but it’s just an ok start. Because as another stat shows- 9 points from 6 games is very middle of the road. 

Ok was ok last season. 

Ok is not ok this season. 

I’m not asking him or expecting him to win the title, but at the very least we should be in the top 7. However the performances are going increasingly patchy and the results reflect that. If we’re 18 points after 12 games he should and will be under pressure. 

I just hate hyperbole. "It's a disastrous start". "The clubs a shambles". People who absolutely thrive off being miserable. I barely go to games anymore because being surrounded by these people is exhausting 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I just hate hyperbole. "It's a disastrous start". "The clubs a shambles". People who absolutely thrive off being miserable. I barely go to games anymore because being surrounded by these people is exhausting 

Think of the money you're saving

When we start winning a few you'll have enough saved to have a blow out

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Quite. Thinking some people are being far too over dramatic does not mean you believe the opposite to be true. 

There’s a big difference in the standard of our play this season. And our biggest issue is missing several good chances per game. Which is fixable, especially now Norwood isn’t far off playing 90 mins. 

Edited by nzlatic
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Each to their own. 

All I’m saying is- there’s plenty of posters who offer balance. 

It’s not a disaster, but it’s not great either. 

• Like 1

Just now, nzlatic said:

Thinking some people are being far too over dramatic does not mean you believe the opposite to be true. 

It does NZ, because to counter that the doomsday people over compensate. . . 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

There’s a big difference in the standard of our play this season. And our biggest issue is missing several good chances per game. Which is fixable, especially Norwood isnt far off playing 90 mins. 

Like this. 

Performance- 

There was a big difference for the first three games. 

Aldershot we started well, then got over run and spanked. (It’s just a blip) 

Gateshead was awful first half. Really good second half. 

Today was good for first half hour, poor for the last half hour. 

You said yourself, a pattern is emerging- and it is. 

We are struggling to play with intensity and tempo for ninety minutes consistently. (Despite a really good pre season, players looking really fit, and a much more balanced squad) When we do play well we create chances put can’t finish them because our strike force isn’t good enough. 

It might all work out in time, but we have one more point than

shez did after 6 games two years ago. Which tells me that despite the millions spent we are still consistently inconsistent. It’s hard to believe this side will suddenly click. It’s feels deeper than that, and I can’t put my finger on what it is. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Like this. 

Performance- 

We are struggling to play with intensity and tempo for ninety minutes consistently. (Despite a really good pre season, players looking really fit, and a much more balanced squad) When we do play well we create chances put can’t finish them because our strike force isn’t good enough. 

shez did after 6 games two years ago. Which tells me that despite the millions spent we are still consistently inconsistent. It’s hard to believe this side will suddenly click. It’s feels deeper than that, and I can’t put my finger on what it is. 

It’s wrong to judge this team after 6 games. Teams that finish at the top end of the table don’t always look the finished article. We need to adjust our expectations. Finishing top 5 would represent material progress but top five teams will often look very mediocre. Problem is, our fans don’t recognise that having had next to no experience of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Like this. 

Performance- 

We didnt play the same teams that Shez did with or against the same players , So logicallythat argument is bollox!!

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

It’s wrong to judge this team after 6 games. Teams that finish at the top end of the table don’t always look the finished article. We need to adjust our expectations. Finishing top 5 would represent material progress but top five teams will often look very mediocre. Problem is, our fans don’t recognise that having had next to no experience of it.

Yeah, that’s a fair point. 

Never underestimate how average/patchy you can be and finish top 7. 

8 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

We didnt play the same teams that Shez did with or against the same players , So logicallythat argument is bollox!!

Aye, true. 

But let’s have it right, there’s hardly any titans in this league is there? 😂

I still think it shows an inconsistent consistency after all the money spent. That said, I take AndyB2 point that finishing top 7 is very achievable without being great. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Like this. 

Performance- 

Do you think in the 2 wins we put in 90 min performances? I don’t think there’s been a big difference in terms of overall performance across all the games. We have good spells and not so good spells. I think the quality of performance in those first 2 games was maybe a bit overstated, probably because we won. And I don’t think the latest performances have been as bad as some have made out. I’m pretty sure we’ve had the majority of chances in every game so far. 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

It’s frustrating because it’s the same pattern again… didn’t take chances, concede soft goal, draw the game. 

If we’re in the market for a striker could we chuck the Stones/Smith money at Alty for Linney? Thought he had a great game. 

I recommended Linney to the club when he was at FC United, but told he wasn't good enough. 

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Do you think in the 2 wins we put in 90 min performances? I don’t think there’s been a big difference in terms of overall performance across all the games. We have good spells and not so good spells. I think the quality of performance in those first 2 games was maybe a bit overstated, probably because we won. And I don’t think the latest performances have been as bad as some have made out. I’m pretty sure we’ve had the majority of chances in every game so far. 

Yeah, that’s fair. Winning will always cloud judgement I think. 

I thought our tempo and performance was better against Fylde than it was in our two wins to be honest. But I’ll ‘take that’ draw against Fylde because the performance was ninety minutes.

Conversely I think we can be one eyed with draws. Gateshead and Alty both had chances that Flyde didn’t. But we’re unlucky in those games. .

Over ninety minutes, our performance and draw against Flyde is unlucky/deserve better. 

Over ninety minutes against Gateshead and Alty we’re not unlucky because you don’t deserve wins when you play for 45 mins and then half hour and they miss an equal amount of chances. 

We never put 2 halves together. As far as  I can remember we have tended to play a belting 45 minutes and a shite 45 minutes in either order.

And honestly, I walked away today fuming like we’d been beaten 3-0 after that missed 1 on 1.

But for some reason - and don’t ask me to explain it - at some point I think it’ll come together, and some teams will get a right twatting off us. And we will be up there - believe me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

We never put 2 halves together. As far as  I can remember we have tended to play a belting 45 minutes and a shite 45 minutes in either order.

And honestly, I walked away today fuming like we’d been beaten 3-0 after that missed 1 on 1.

But for some reason - and don’t ask me to explain it - at some point I think it’ll come together, and some teams will get a right twatting off us. And we will be up there - believe me.

That's probably about where I'm at, one or two things put right and we'll be right in the mix, massively frustrating though particularly as I think we should be at least four points better off.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

at HT today they played a mega tune about a Slow Norris which l cannae find IRL

as pioneers of fine indie could either @longtimeblue or @Frankly Mr Shankly help me with this????

No idea mate. I wasn't there. Stuck on a field in Anglesey having lost my car keep whilst camping. 

• Like 1

These games so far have at least answered a question for myself. 

Last season we were dire to watch (bar a few exceptions) and winning matches, this was conflicting as we were heading up the table and sitting pretty for a good amount of time, always said it's fine as long as we win....when it started to go wrong the majority of fans including myself wanted Mellon gone.

Jump to now, performances have been vastly improved and entertaining, all be it, not for the full 90 mins

We are good to watch and a lot more palpable, creating chances and passing it on the floor.

If this seasons matches had of been played in the manner of hoof ball, dire football of last seasons performances, I can guarantee my knife would certainly have been out, as well as many others I would presume.  

Because we are playing football and being unlucky not to convert 1 point into 3 bar Aldershot (which I thought we played well making our own mistakes) Mellon and the team get a lot more time and leniency from myself.  

Do think we will come good, (slightly concerned with the part half / so many minute performances but on the whole a lot more content in the way we are heading footballing wise.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, deckyd said:

These games so far have at least answered a question for myself. 

Last season we were dire to watch (bar a few exceptions) and winning matches, this was conflicting as we were heading up the table and sitting pretty for a good amount of time, always said it's fine as long as we win....when it started to go wrong the majority of fans including myself wanted Mellon gone.

Jump to now, performances have been vastly improved and entertaining, all be it, not for the full 90 mins

We are good to watch and a lot more palpable, creating chances and passing it on the floor.

If this seasons matches had of been played in the manner of hoof ball, dire football of last seasons performances, I can guarantee my knife would certainly have been out, as well as many others I would presume.  

Because we are playing football and being unlucky not to convert 1 point into 3 bar Aldershot (which I thought we played well making our own mistakes) Mellon and the team get a lot more time and leniency from myself.  

Do think we will come good, (slightly concerned with the part half / so many minute performances but on the whole a lot more content in the way we are heading footballing wise.

Good post. This is why I’m fairly relaxed about the recent points dropped (although not relaxed when conceding or missing chances!!). 

When Norwood is fully fit, Dolan is up to speed, Garner is back and potentially a new signing comes in I think we’ll be converting more chances and that should mean turning these draws into wins.