MATCH: Altrincham (A) 31/08/24

57 minutes ago, deckyd said:

These games so far have at least answered a question for myself. 

Last season we were dire to watch (bar a few exceptions) and winning matches, this was conflicting as we were heading up the table and sitting pretty for a good amount of time, always said it's fine as long as we win....when it started to go wrong the majority of fans including myself wanted Mellon gone.

Jump to now, performances have been vastly improved and entertaining, all be it, not for the full 90 mins

We are good to watch and a lot more palpable, creating chances and passing it on the floor.

If this seasons matches had of been played in the manner of hoof ball, dire football of last seasons performances, I can guarantee my knife would certainly have been out, as well as many others I would presume.  

Because we are playing football and being unlucky not to convert 1 point into 3 bar Aldershot (which I thought we played well making our own mistakes) Mellon and the team get a lot more time and leniency from myself.  

Do think we will come good, (slightly concerned with the part half / so many minute performances but on the whole a lot more content in the way we are heading footballing wise.

I'd add to this that the players are far fitter and more athletic than last season. We can press! We couldn't do it last season. Mellon is also building up a squad of technically proficient, athletic midfielders to cover injury and allow rotation when the two game a week treadmill kicks in. We also don't have an outstanding team in the comp this season so still all to play for. Loads more grounds for rational optimism than the past two seasons.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I expect that will be the end of Fondop. Mellon will banish him the same way he did with Shelton last season and Norman in pre-season...

I can’t see it. Somehow he sees off every striker we have despite being very limited. 

14 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I expect that will be the end of Fondop. Mellon will banish him the same way he did with Shelton last season and Norman in pre-season...

Hope not. Poor finishing of late but useful option off the bench in the right circumstances. 

• Like 1

Thought the game was played with the intensity and in the atmosphere of a pre-season friendly.

We played alright in the first-half.  Could've been two up but also could've conceded.

Hard to make a case in support of Fondop after the last three games.  Missed the chance and also a couple of half-chances yesterday.  Needs a goal to get his confidence back.

Dolan was our most lively player.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Not when his only other option is Reid!!😉

Silly mistakes are really costing us at the moment. If goals are preventable, and due to lapses in concentration then MM has something tangible to fix it. You have to compare our performance there this season to last and in terms of personal, control of the game and chances created we're clearly making progress. It's never going to be enough in th eyes of some but as long as we continue to make progress then there's no great need to panic.

Fondop's miss crystallises why many of us view him as not the solution. The game was set up in his favour. Us in the lead against a tiring opposition back line. We really ought to have been reflecting on a fairly comfortable 2-0 win but instead we're having to pick the bones out of more dropped points. I'm sure that's how MM views it and I back up what @Lee Sinnott says in that could be the last we see of him in an Oldham shirt. One thing that MM is consistent with is he's fairly ruthless. I expectr Fondop would get snapped up quickly by another team at our level on loan and we'd look at bringing in a better option. It's a shame both Joe Quigley or Sam Dalby are no longer available as one of them should have been in situ instead of Fondop this season.

A lot of emphasis on the Southend (h) and Halifax (a) matches now.

The match yesterday was far better that my three previous visits to Alty times by ten. There was even a bit of atmosphere (I said a bit!!!)

Fondop missing that was a real shame, he went towards the keeper too straight on and gave himself no chance to put the ball far enough away either side, but he created the chance himself by picking their pocket.

Our defence froze for a moment for their goal.

Overall we battled well, tried to play football but need to be more attack-minded at times which only works with two strikers.

That's it, no drama, no need for a melt-down, just a half decent match where mistakes happen like in any other game across the country.

• Like 3

Mellon never really makes a huge amount of subs around the 60min mark. So why he made all three at once seems a bit out the ordinary? I wasn’t at the game, did we need them subs at that time. 

Gardner with another assist. He is showing his worth. We need another goal source, until that’s sorted, this is us. 

• Like 1

Fondops first chance from the Dolan saved shot was arguably easier, why has he tried to take the back of the net out when anything on target likely goes in, we are playing well and the stats will suggest we are dominating most of our games but these misses coupled with momentarily slips in concentration at the back are really killing us. 

What I did like yesterday was our start and the urgency we played with, for large parts of the first 35 Alty couldn't really live with us, I'd of liked to have seen Khan wide left for Uchegbulam at half time he would just offer that bit more quality on the ball and he can pick a pass which I still think we are missing, promising from Dolan as well.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Mellon never really makes a huge amount of subs around the 60min mark. So why he made all three at once seems a bit out the ordinary? I wasn’t at the game, did we need them subs at that time. 

Gardner with another assist. He is showing his worth. We need another goal source, until that’s sorted, this is us. 

We'd lost control of the game a little, in fact Alty came out second half really quickly and they were causing us problems particularly in behind Uchegbulam who struggled at times. It was the right call as he and Gardner were on yellows.

Mellon probably regrets pulling Norwood at the same time now as we then had a good ten minute spell but he's trying to look after him so it's understandable, still if Norwood stays on and he gets those chances Fondop fluffs he probably scores all three because he never looks like missing when he's in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We'd lost control of the game a little, in fact Alty came out second half really quickly and they were causing us problems particularly in behind Uchegbulam who struggled at times. It was the right call as he and Gardner were on yellows.

Mellon probably regrets pulling Norwood at the same time now as we then had a good ten minute spell but he's trying to look after him so it's understandable, still if Norwood stays on and he gets those chances Fondop fluffs he probably scores all three because he never looks like missing when he's in.

Thanks for the context. Yep, likewise at the Gatehead game when Norwood comes off we get the gift of a chance which Norwood would have scored. 

When he is fully fit we will be better for it. Along with Garner. The performances seem to be consistent, it will click for us. 

Only been to home games so far this season and from what I have seen we are playing more football with a much better press. Reading the comments on the Alty game indicates we still played well for parts of the game but again a few missed opportunities and lack of concentration at the back cost us the game.

Overall I feel more optimistic this season as the midfield is improved and players like Ogle, Charsley, Caprice and Jez are offering what we have not had in past two seasons.

Also it has been good to see goals scored by defenders and midfield players. Last season there was only one goal scored all season by a defender if my memory is correct.

Looking forward to the Southend game now as long as they do not et stuck on a train again!!

Anyone in the camp for dropping Jes yet? What he can bring to the table is obvious, and he’s been excellent at points but when he’s not in the game, which has been a bit recently he is a real hinderance to us defensively because he is so bad at that side of his position. Not sure Kitching is the answer, can Khan play there? Caprice maybe?

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

Anyone in the camp for dropping Jes yet? What he can bring to the table is obvious, and he’s been excellent at points but when he’s not in the game, which has been a bit recently he is a real hinderance to us defensively because he is so bad at that side of his position. Not sure Kitching is the answer, can Khan play there? Caprice maybe?

No he gets us up the pitch more than any other player. hes a winger not a defender. 

Just now, oafcmb said:

No he gets us up the pitch more than any other player. hes a winger not a defender. 

I agree he is a winger, but he’s not playing as a winger as we are playing 3421 and so he has defensive duties too. For me, once the opposition have worked him out and put a couple on him he becomes ineffective and out of the game. 

• Like 1

Just now, daniel said:

I agree he is a winger, but he’s not playing as a winger as we are playing 3421 and so he has defensive duties too. For me, once the opposition have worked him out and put a couple on him he becomes ineffective and out of the game. 

Can also be a good thing though. If they double up on him we should have more space in the other areas. He will probably struggle on small pitches and Caprice would be a better option for them kind of games. 

1 hour ago, daniel said:

I’ve been surprised his constant  inclusion and the non appearance of Caprice. Who Mellon said he had chased all summer. 

Jes is great going forward, but like a lot of wingers can drift in and out of games and other nothing defensively. I’d like to see Caprice given a run who should offer better balance. With Jes used to stretch tired defences. 

1 hour ago, daniel said:

I’d give him a rest and use him from the bench against tired defences for a few games. 

Maybe when Garner is back we might go 2 up top and then a more traditional wing back may be needed as we lose one from midfield. Uchegbulam has been playing really high up, more as a wide forward than a wing back.