MATCH: Southend United (H) 07/09/24

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Third season now, performances on the pitch have not improved. There’s still problems with catering and the fans bar.

Maybe my eyesight is going (as well as my memory) but from my uncomfortable seat I think the performances I've seen at home this season have definitely been better than some of the appalling crap I've watched in the previous two seasons at this level. It is still not good enough of course and we're drawing too many games but some improvement at least.

Perhaps we can get Norwood's chef in to sort the catering out?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Is anyone else starting to think it’s another season of mediocre/ok? 

IE - top 10. 

I’m desperate to jump on the bandwagon of us nearly being there. . but as Micky says- I watch with my eyes. 

We had three ninety minute performance’s for three games. 

Since then, we play in spells, we desperately lack consistent tempo. We tend to start one of either half slow. I watch us think and we’re just an ok side. 

Just feels like Groundhog Day, and the stat about us not being any further forward than under Shez feels really pertinent to me. 

100%. We ar better than last season, solid and press better but still Have too many average players for the league to be a good side. The wing backs today and midfield are where it’s short. 

43 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It was by default, he didn't have enough faith to start them due to his cautious mindset. 

Head buried in the sand like last season. 

2,000 missing fans from last season tells you they know he won't change. 

The board are only interested in corporate hospitality, on the pitch it's a shambles. 

If I won the Euromillons I'd sack the lot bar Frank and his family who would become honorary members. 

My manager would be one who has a reputation for fast exciting attacking football with positive dynamic young players. 

Who?

I've definitely been an optimist on this forum this season so I don't mind being negative today, I thought save for 10 minutes after the goal today was shite and a big digression on what i thought had been some positive performances. The first half they didn't get close to a well organised but ordinary side who scored from their one chance that was laid on a plate identically to last week (albeit, never a foul). Once we scored we got on top of them and rocked them, but it's so frustrating that it took that long. That midfield, that i thought had been fixed, was absolutely pathetic at times today. I don't like singling people out but I expected a lot from Conlon this season and he continues to disappoint.

It's still early days bit a win on Tuesday would be massive now

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, stargazer said:

As a continuous run of league games from the win at Eastleigh on Feb 27th , unless my maths is mistaken , that is a run of 2 wins in 17 matches.

3 wins in 21 is acceptable at this club now. We are playing a little bit better though so it doesn't matter. Club that wants to be promoted my arse. 

10 minutes ago, oafcmb said:

3 wins in 21 is acceptable at this club now. We are playing a little bit better though so it doesn't matter. Club that wants to be promoted my arse. 

What does that even mean? I’m seeing a lot of this sort of stuff on Twitter too. What do you mean by “acceptable”? Are you saying that because the club hasn’t sacked Mellon they don’t want to be promoted?

Dissapointing game yesterday after recent decent performances. This drawn game was one we were lucky to get a point from. Our first half was ineffective with no service to Norwood. With Charsley going off early we had no press whatsoever. Dolan was not in the game at all except for the effort he had on goal and was rightly substituted. 

Our second half was better with Fondop making a difference as well as Khan and Caprice. I thought that Ogle and Caprice played well down the right as a combination in second half.

I do not understand the criticism of Monte. He has been one of our best players this season and pushes forward when he can. Both him and Charsley are the signings that have made a diference. I also feel Ogle and Caprice are good signings.

My main concern is what we no one have up front as a constant goal scorer. Norwood looked off his game and may be out injured again. Fondop is the only one who looks like scoring but is not the answer as a lead striker. 

I still feel optimistic that we wll begin to win games and stop the rot of draws we are having. 

• Like 1

People need to chill out. 

We aren’t going to do a chesterfield and will look shit a lot of the time. Thats inevitable for a L5 team. 

its a long season and from where I am sitting we have a good chance at making the play offs. 

a new issue at the club unless some of you knew about it already. Due to the issues on M62 yesterday ( and despite setting off a lot earlier from the Fylde coast  to compensate) we got to the north stand car park at 3.15 to find the gates closed and two security men telling me they werent allowed to the open the gates after 3pm , so despite paying £6 we had to fanny around looking to park ( no cash on us to pay at the hospital ) so missed another 10 minutes .No great loss apparently , but which cretin decides anybody turning up a few minutes late cant use a car park theyve paid for , it wasnt even full , you travel 60 miles to support your team ffs! Wasnt just us a few cars had to turn round 

i will be seeking a refund on monday but anyone know darren royles email address ? no wonder we are losing supprters

43 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

People need to chill out. 

We aren’t going to do a chesterfield and will look shit a lot of the time. Thats inevitable for a L5 team. 

its a long season and from where I am sitting we have a good chance at making the play offs. 

Wins get you in the playoffs not 3 wins in 18 odd games ffs. 

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

Is anyone else starting to think it’s another season of mediocre/ok? 

IE - top 10. 

I’m desperate to jump on the bandwagon of us nearly being there. . but as Micky says- I watch with my eyes. 

We had three ninety minute performance’s for three games. 

Since then, we play in spells, we desperately lack consistent tempo. We tend to start one of either half slow. I watch us think and we’re just an ok side. 

Just feels like Groundhog Day, and the stat about us not being any further forward than under Shez feels really pertinent to me. 

Still feels to me like we have to have our backs to the wall before we rally late on to save the day (get a point). Still far too little attacking intent (khan offered a glimmer of hope when he came on).

Norwood alone upfront doesn’t work, I’m not sure when if ever the manager will realise this. 
Caprice put some great crosses in yesterday which I think led to our goal. 
Overall though I have to agree we just look marginally better than last season and I think with an additional forward we could make the top 7. 

44 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

I don’t expect a chesterfield, but I definitely want more than - ‘we’ll be shit a lot of time’ If that’s the case we should still make 7th, but that’s just plodding along and doing ok.

Ok is not good enough this season. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t expect a chesterfield, but I definitely want more than - ‘we’ll be shit a lot of time’ If that’s the case we should still make 7th, but that’s just plodding along and doing ok.

Sounds like someone has forgotten the win against the mighty Braintree Town...

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agree. But I don’t expect anything more. No point getting angry about it. Should just back the team to be the best they can. 

the blame lies firmly at the door of whoever sanctioned shit recruitment last season. mellon inherited that and he doesn’t have the funds available to address it. The limitations of the current squad is unsworths legacy

we are where we are and yet have a chance of getting out of this league. We should do our bit to help that mission 

Edited by AndyB2

53 minutes ago, rossy52 said:

a new issue at the club unless some of you knew about it already. Due to the issues on M62 yesterday ( and despite setting off a lot earlier from the Fylde coast  to compensate) we got to the north stand car park at 3.15 to find the gates closed and two security men telling me they werent allowed to the open the gates after 3pm , so despite paying £6 we had to fanny around looking to park ( no cash on us to pay at the hospital ) so missed another 10 minutes .No great loss apparently , but which cretin decides anybody turning up a few minutes late cant use a car park theyve paid for , it wasnt even full , you travel 60 miles to support your team ffs! Wasnt just us a few cars had to turn round 

i will be seeking a refund on monday but anyone know darren royles email address ? no wonder we are losing supprters

It’ll be the same in two weeks for the Yeovil match as the motorway will be closed again

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What I expect from this season is consistently good performances. In among that you’ll have bad results. But we shouldn’t have many games where we’re shit. 

I thought yesterday was our poorest effort of this season. But still a marked improvement on the majority of performances last season. 

What we need now is to have a relatively settled team. I liked the midfield 4 in the early games. But since those 2 wins I don’t think we’ve kept the same 4 from one game to the next. And I don’t think we’ve played the same 4 we played in those games since.