MATCH: Southend United (H) 07/09/24

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

What I expect from this season is consistently good performances. In among that you’ll have bad results. But we shouldn’t have many games where we’re shit. 

I thought yesterday was our poorest effort of this season. But still a marked improvement on the majority of performances last season. 

What we need now is to have a relatively settled team. I liked the midfield 4 in the early games. But since those 2 wins I don’t think we’ve kept the same 4 from one game to the next. And I don’t think we’ve played the same 4 we played in those games since. 

Is our team good enough for consistently good performances?

8 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

the blame lies firmly at the door or whoever sanctioned shit recruitment last season. mellon inherited that and he doesn’t have the funds available to address it. The limitations of the current squad is unsworths legacy

There’s truth in this, and it is a factor in getting the full squad he wants. 

But half the squad is his. 

Maloney

Caprice

Jes

ogle

Manny

Conlon

Charsley

Gardener 

Khan

Kay

Garner

Mikey

The point being, any gaps in the squad are still a choice. 

Should Gardener have been resigned instead of signing someone more box to box. Who has much better legs to press. 

Should Garner have been signed when we already have a prolific old head up front. 

Should Mikey of been resigned when he isn’t Prolific enough. 

Should you sign Caprice when you have Kitch on the books. 

He keeps saying, we lack tempo or we don’t move the ball quick enough. (Which is correct we don’t) Well a lot of his signings play most weeks and we still don’t play at tempo. So either they’re not listening, or they’re still recruiting a squad make up that isn’t fit enough

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Many of them have been involved in successful football teams previously so I’d say yes. 

A number havent. 

Hudson, lundstrum, Hobson

Gardner and Norwood at the end of their careers. That’s a big chunk of the team that played most of yesterday’s game 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

There’s truth in this, and it is a factor in getting the full squad he wants. 

But half the squad is his. 

Maloney

Caprice

Jes

ogle

Manny

Conlon

Charsley

Gardener 

Khan

Kay

Garner

Mikey

The point being, any gaps in the squad are still a choice. 

Should Gardener have been resigned instead of signing someone more box to box. Who has much better legs to press. 

Should Garner have been signed when we already have a prolific old head up front. 

Should Mikey of been resigned when he isn’t Prolific enough. 

Should you sign Caprice when you have Kitch on the books. 

He keeps saying, we lack tempo or we don’t move the ball quick enough. (Which is correct we don’t) Well a lot of his signings play most weeks and we still don’t play at tempo. So either they’re not listening, or they’re still recruiting a squad make up that isn’t fit enough

Good old days when managers could coach players to be better. He has signed 75% of the squad. 

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What I expect from this season is consistently good performances. In among that you’ll have bad results. But we shouldn’t have many games where we’re shit. 

I thought yesterday was our poorest effort of this season. But still a marked improvement on the majority of performances last season. 

What we need now is to have a relatively settled team. I liked the midfield 4 in the early games. But since those 2 wins I don’t think we’ve kept the same 4 from one game to the next. And I don’t think we’ve played the same 4 we played in those games since. 

Yeah, chopping and changing the midfield is a bit mystery. (Other than resting Gardener, but again why resign someone you have to rotate and thus unsettling the building of partnerships) Charsley is out now, which is a massive blow and we’ll miss his legs and energy. 

We’re not getting consistently good performances though? We’ve had three 90 minute performances for the first 3 games, followed up with playing really well for half an hour or one half. Is that acceptable? Feels like we’re saying- at least we’re playing well in spells. (Which is true, but I don’t think it’s to demanding to say can we turn up for longer than half hour) 

Patchy performance’s lead to patchy results. 

90 Minute performance’s lead to good results. 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, chopping and changing the midfield is a bit mystery. (Other than resting Gardener, but again why resign someone you have to rotate and thus unsettling the building of partnerships) Charsley is out now, which is a massive blow and we’ll miss his legs and energy. 

We’re not getting consistently good performances though? We’ve had three 90 minute performances for the first 3 games, followed up with playing really well for half an hour or one half. Is that acceptable? Feels like we’re saying- at least we’re playing well in spells. (Which is true, but I don’t think it’s to demanding to say can we turn up for longer than half hour) 

Patchy performance’s lead to patchy results. 

90 Minute performance’s lead to good results. 

This is a question I have no idea the answer to as I don’t watch enough other games!.. how often do promotion teams at this level put in 90 minute performances?

Also, what constitutes one? It doesn’t seem realistic to have a game where the opposition doesn’t have at least a short spell of good play where they look the better team. 

24 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This is a question I have no idea the answer to as I don’t watch enough other games!.. how often do promotion teams at this level put in 90 minute performances?

Also, what constitutes one? It doesn’t seem realistic to have a game where the opposition doesn’t have at least a short spell of good play where they look the better team. 

Fylde at home was a ninety performance. We drew, that’s football. 

But. 

We were on the front from the first whistle, our tempo was very good and we moved the ball quickly from back to front; we missed two good chances, and they get a goal against the run of play. Ah well, shit happens but at least we’ve played on the front foot. Second half we come out firing again, got our equaliser and then they came more into it and had a good chance towards the end which we defended well. 

Of course games will ebb and flow and you can’t dominate every game unless you’re far superior (which we’re not) but you can press, you can move the ball quickly in possession. There are basic fundamentals that go into a full game performance. If you keep doing that, good things happen. If you start slow, don’t press as a team, and look slow in possession; but then improve and play well for half an hour. Your results will reflect that. 

MM has had a year in charge and I count on one hand the amount of games we’re at it for the full game. The vast majority of his tenure is playing well in spells, and doing ok. Some good parts, some bad parts. How many clubs get promoted playing in spells. . 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

How many clubs get promoted playing in spells. . 

My guess would be ones who are the best at taking chances and also have mean defences! Currently we’re doing neither so yeah we can’t get away without putting a shift in for the 90.

• Like 1

Couldn't believe how flat and slow we started yesterday, it was reminiscent of the Kidderminster game on Frank's return, looked like men against boys the way we sat off them and allowed them to ping it around.

What was also evident was how poor Southend were in the final third, they literally created nothing from open play until we chased the game late on.

This defending of free kicks is a joke as well, massive weakness from our keeper who prefers sitting on his heels to picking up the flight of the ball, that's a keeper whose now under zero amount of pressure to keep his place despite contributing to us not being able to buy a clean sheet at the minute, you could argue he's had a part to play in all the recent goals we've conceded which is killing us as a team, he's got to do better if we are to challenge, he could of caught that yesterday the ball was that central.

Whose defending that low whipped ball in on the edge of the box, I get it that they are running across us but someone should be there cutting that out, it's not like we had many in the wall so everyone gets a good view of it, opposition coaches are just exploiting our weaknesses, looking for free kicks in that area and we are gifting them opportunities through poor defending and keeping. 

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Couldn't believe how flat and slow we started yesterday, it was reminiscent of the Kidderminster game on Frank's return, looked like men against boys the way we sat off them and allowed them to ping it around.

What was also evident was how poor Southend were in the final third, they literally created nothing from open play until we chased the game late on.

This defending of free kicks is a joke as well, massive weakness from our keeper who prefers sitting on his heels to picking up the flight of the ball, that's a keeper whose now under zero amount of pressure to keep his place despite contributing to us not being able to buy a clean sheet at the minute, you could argue he's had a part to play in all the recent goals we've conceded which is killing us as a team, he's got to do better if we are to challenge, he could of caught that yesterday the ball was that central.

Whose defending that low whipped ball in on the edge of the box, I get it that they are running across us but someone should be there cutting that out, it's not like we had many in the wall so everyone gets a good view of it, opposition coaches are just exploiting our weaknesses, looking for free kicks in that area and we are gifting them opportunities through poor defending and keeping. 

Seven games as Nd only scored more than once in one of them. The problem ain't at the back

53 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yep, the vast majority of new managers come into a situation where things have gone badly for their predecessor. No point harking back to Unsworth

He’s responsible for what I would guess is a suboptimal budget. 

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Seven games as Nd only scored more than once in one of them. The problem ain't at the back

We can't afford to give any team a goal start then, last five games we've conceded first and not been able to win a game, we've problems at both ends because one goal should be enough to win some games but it's not.

6 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

He’s responsible for what I would guess is a suboptimal budget. 

As I said, pretty much every manager that ever takes a job comes into a situation where the mistakes of his predecessor will have an impact 

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We can't afford to give any team a goal start then, last five games we've conceded first and not been able to win a game, we've problems at both ends because one goal should be enough to win some games but it's not.

We're yet to lose a game by a single goal. Averaging a goal a game in last six and no side gets promoted that way 

18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

As I said, pretty much every manager that ever takes a job comes into a situation where the mistakes of his predecessor will have an impact 

Well I think he should be given a bit of slack because of it. 

that of course only goes so far 

Edited by AndyB2

43 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We did have nothing in the final 3rd. We have lost 3 strikers in 2 weeks. Sold one and two injured. We started yesterday with just Pebble upfront who is a loanee. 

We also had 2 of our midfielders out injured and a first team centre half has left for reasons unknown. 

Too surmise. We lost 6 first teamers in just 2 weeks. 

If we had a couple of experienced forwards available we would have likely taken all 3 points. 

We played the last 30 mins without a single striker on the pitch. And most of your chances and equaliser came straight after subbing our only forward off the pitch. 

The fact our right wing back is the highest scorer in our team with 5 goals tells a story. 

Tbh, I was surprised just how long ball oldham were. Your right back just launched the ball at every opportunity. 

If we sign a couple of decent forwards and keep playing good football, the goals will come. 

For now, I'm happy with a point away given our squad depth. 

Shout out to the away facilities. 

I thought the food and beer was awful at roots Hall. 

Jesus. £5.20 for a can of fosters!! 

£5 for the worst hot dog known to man. Proper piss take that. And not accepting cash either. 

Our away support was quite poor yesterday tbh. Not many and fairly quiet. 

Hope to see you at roots Hall for a better game. 

Edited by Shrimperama

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We're yet to lose a game by a single goal. Averaging a goal a game in last six and no side gets promoted that way 

Well obviously not because that form only gets you to ninth.  Our league position says we need to improve to achieve the play offs. We all know that.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperama said:

We did have nothing in the final 3rd. We have lost 3 strikers in 2 weeks. Sold one and two injured. We started yesterday with just Pebble upfront who is a loanee. 

We also had 2 of our midfielders out injured and a first team centre half has left for reasons unknown. 

Too surmise. We lost 6 first teamers in just 2 weeks. 

If we had a couple of experienced forwards available we would have likely taken all 3 points. 

We played the last 30 mins without a single striker on the pitch. And most of your chances and equaliser came straight after subbing our only forward off the pitch. 

The fact our right wing back is the highest scorer in our team with 5 goals tells a story. 

Tbh, I was surprised just how long ball oldham were. Your right back just launched the ball at every opportunity. 

If we sign a couple of decent forwards and keep playing good football, the goals will come. 

For now, I'm happy with a point away given our squad depth. 

Shout out to the away facilities. 

I thought the food and beer was awful at roots Hall. 

Jesus. £5.20 for a can of fosters!! 

£5 for the worst hot dog known to man. Proper piss take that. And not accepting cash either. 

Wouldn’t dare put anything in my mouth served up at BP. 

Just now, Shrimperama said:

Call it a lesson learned. 

There didn't seem like an awful lot to do in the area tbh. 

The walk back to the tram was interesting 

Sorry Oldham isnt more leafy for you. Am sure the council will do better for you next time.