MATCH: Southend United (H) 07/09/24

2 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Sorry Oldham isnt more leafy for you. Am sure the council will do better for you next time. 

Tbf it's leafier than were I live. 

I asked on the tram about the town centre and was advised its too far from the tram and decided to get off and walk from an earlier station. Even that was a bit of mission. 

For a football ground that has been around for a long time, its seems a fair distance from the town centre. Most older stadiums tend to be central 

5 minutes ago, Shrimperama said:

I asked on the tram about the town centre and was advised its too far from the tram and decided to get off and walk from an earlier station. Even that was a bit of mission. 

For a football ground that has been around for a long time, its seems a fair distance from the town centre. Most older stadiums tend to be central 

What…a fair distance?

It’s about 1.4 miles to Boundary Park from the town hall!!

1 hour ago, Shrimperama said:

There didn't seem like an awful lot to do in the area tbh. 

The walk back to the tram was interesting 

I'm assuming you walked to Westwood tram stop. Westwood is now home to the largest Bangladeshi community in Britain outside of London. 

The area used to be a hive of industry with numerous cotton spinning mills and foundries etc. The largest textile machine manufacturer in the world was literally 200 yards from the tram stop (Platts).

With all the industry there were ample watering holes and in the not too distant past you may have enjoyed a pint or two in the Westbourne, Westwood Inn, Horton Arms, Elevenways, Spinners Arms, Conservative Club or even Kittyman's West Indian club; all en route to the ground from the tram stop ( and all closed down).

How times have changed and you do make a valid point. There is very little to entertain away supporters visiting BP and its environs. That's why someone advised you to stay in Manchester for your pre- match drink.

The Royton district remains busy with pubs but wouldn't have been the easiest journey for you all round.

Thanks for visiting us - and all the best.

1 hour ago, Shrimperama said:

We aren't considered a good away trip by opposing fans for these reasons. Often a point not remarked on when we criticise other clubs poor followings to Boundary Park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

Grounds are often found in separate towns. Think port vale (in burlslem) or Grimsby (in cleethorpes). In oldhams case the ground is in chadderton (or Royton).

BP is within Oldham's "old" boundary Andy - it's immediately adjacent to both Royton and Chadderton. Nowadays of course the Oldham Metropolitan Borough encompasses all the "old" districts.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We can't afford to give any team a goal start then, last five games we've conceded first and not been able to win a game, we've problems at both ends because one goal should be enough to win some games but it's not.

We led 1-0 At Altrincham 

Fair result. Subdued first half, entertaining second. 

We're competitiveness and committed to a game of football and at this level we've become hard to beat. Those qualities have been lacking for our whole time in this division and that demonstrates some progress.

The problem is we're all expecting to be challenging for promotion and we're currently unable to take our chances despite creating ample in most, if not all, games this season, which means we're not winning games. 

I'm realistic about where we are. We are, it's true, comparatively bigger by most metrics to most clubs, but we haven't invested money to the level where we should comfortably win the league, which means I don't expect us to dominate every game, score heavily, or indeed not get beaten. However, the formula Mellon needs to produce to satisfy most supporters is one that sees us consistently win a games of football. It occasionally will be like Braintree and often it will be like Wealdstone, but we're not there yet, and "it's early on" won't be excusable for much longer. I'm still optimistic based on what I'm seeing, but Halifax feels important.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shrimperama said:

They should advised you to alight at Oldham Kings Street tram stop where you can catch a frequent 409 bus to Boundary Park  Hospital.

17 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Was speaking to someone after altrincham who regularly speaks to one of the owners. They mentioned XG and XA for the season and how well we are doing. 

does my head in all this and these stats fucking win games.

'We're comfortably ahead of Gateshead who only had 0.15xG against us yet they could have double the amount of point that we have after just eight games come 10pm on Tuesday night'.

Professor Bullshit Sep 8, 2024

Stats mean fuck all if you have a flakey keeper who lets a shot in every game and forwards who insist on taking the back of the net out when a nice composed placed funish would suffice. 

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Was speaking to someone after altrincham who regularly speaks to one of the owners. They mentioned XG and XA for the season and how well we are doing. 

does my head in all this and these stats fucking win games.

I've absolutely no idea or interest in what any of that shit means.

We're playing badly and not winning.  Shove that in your stats machine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Astro said:

Fair result. Subdued first half, entertaining second. 

We're competitiveness and committed to a game of football and at this level we've become hard to beat. Those qualities have been lacking for our whole time in this division and that demonstrates some progress.

The problem is we're all expecting to be challenging for promotion and we're currently unable to take our chances despite creating ample in most, if not all, games this season, which means we're not winning games. 

I'm realistic about where we are. We are, it's true, comparatively bigger by most metrics to most clubs, but we haven't invested money to the level where we should comfortably win the league, which means I don't expect us to dominate every game, score heavily, or indeed not get beaten. However, the formula Mellon needs to produce to satisfy most supporters is one that sees us consistently win a games of football. It occasionally will be like Braintree and often it will be like Wealdstone, but we're not there yet, and "it's early on" won't be excusable for much longer. I'm still optimistic based on what I'm seeing, but Halifax feels important.

A well-reasoned post telling it how it is, refreshingly clear of the ludicrous histronics that pollute this messageboard, especially after a mildly disappointing draw or three. Great reflection @Astro and I agree, we need a win very soon. Draw, draw, draw, WIN has a sense of progress and a sign we're hard to beat. Draw, draw, draw, LOSS looks and feels bad and builds uneccessary (because it is, at this stage) pressure. Which may lead to hasty decisions.

I felt on Saturday, particularly at home, we're seeing progress, consistancy and some much needed character. Making comparisons to last season (and the one before) is unavoidable but most often, when we fell a goal behind, it meant only one result; defeat. This time, we do know how to step up a gear and get back into the match, even with a setback like losing Charsley so early. If you cut through the noise, there were positives to take from it, even though it continues to feel so frustrating leaving the ground, cursing yet another team with gleaming luck on their side. Southend, every time I've seen us play have always been well-drilled, well-organised and a dangerous opponent.

Pete Wild made an excellent note on Saturday (he really is good to listen to). The beginning of every season, between August and late October is all about getting points on the board as you bed in your new players and new systems. If that comes as a succession of single points, it still matters at this stage and means you're slipping slightly behind, but in no way are we out of touch with the leaders. Anyway, I'd put what PW says way above the fucking nimrods who can't wait to get back on here and spew out agenda-driven negativity.

I hope the injury to Charsley is fairly minor as I feel if we can keep him fit for the majority of the season he'll be like some kind of energy divining rod for us. Caprice was brilliant going forward and Khan showed some good flair. Quite impressed by MM's change of system and substitutions to tilt the match in our favour. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Quite impressed by MM's change of system and substitutions to tilt the match in our favour. 

And yet he still keeps naming the same barely changed team for the next game. We had almost the same midfield as last year yesterday for much of the game, despite several midfield signings. How did that pan out last year?

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

And yet he still keeps naming the same barely changed team for the next game. We had almost the same midfield as last year yesterday for much of the game, despite several midfield signings. How did that pan out last year?

What midfield would you have played?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

A well-reasoned post telling it how it is, refreshingly clear of the ludicrous histronics that pollute this messageboard, especially after a mildly disappointing draw or three. Great reflection @Astro and I agree, we need a win very soon. Draw, draw, draw, WIN has a sense of progress and a sign we're hard to beat. Draw, draw, draw, LOSS looks and feels bad and builds uneccessary (because it is, at this stage) pressure. Which may lead to hasty decisions.

I felt on Saturday, particularly at home, we're seeing progress, consistancy and some much needed character. Making comparisons to last season (and the one before) is unavoidable but most often, when we fell a goal behind, it meant only one result; defeat. This time, we do know how to step up a gear and get back into the match, even with a setback like losing Charsley so early. If you cut through the noise, there were positives to take from it, even though it continues to feel so frustrating leaving the ground, cursing yet another team with gleaming luck on their side. Southend, every time I've seen us play have always been well-drilled, well-organised and a dangerous opponent.

Pete Wild made an excellent note on Saturday (he really is good to listen to). The beginning of every season, between August and late October is all about getting points on the board as you bed in your new players and new systems. If that comes as a succession of single points, it still matters at this stage and means you're slipping slightly behind, but in no way are we out of touch with the leaders. Anyway, I'd put what PW says way above the fucking nimrods who can't wait to get back on here and spew out agenda-driven negativity.

I hope the injury to Charsley is fairly minor as I feel if we can keep him fit for the majority of the season he'll be like some kind of energy divining rod for us. Caprice was brilliant going forward and Khan showed some good flair. Quite impressed by MM's change of system and substitutions to tilt the match in our favour. 

You didn't go to the match then...

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Eh? Charsley and Dolan started the match, with Jes and Ogle occupying wide positions.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Did you think we played in Milan?

Definitely not. 

Just was surprised that there wasn't much by the stadium. You get that with the newer stadiums which tend to be out of town etc. 

Tbh I'm just pleased not to see another defeat. It was my 3rd visit and the previous two ended in defeat. 

We play a decent passing game but with literally no striker for the last half hour it was always going to be tough. 

You played us at a very good time. 

I thought we played some very decent football at times and once we get players fit and a couple of strikers fit, I'm sure we will be challenging. 

Good luck for the season. 

Your team reminded me of Southend under Phil brown. But of a dinosaur when it comes to tactics and lots of long balls up to an ageing forward. 

I can't see your manager lasting much longer of you don't pick up points. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

refreshingly clear of the ludicrous histronics that pollute this messageboard,

They’re 3 or 4 who revel in it. 99% of us ignore them for what they are, and they in no way reflect the majority of this board. Those who look for loads of positives despite what they watch is as frustrating as ‘everything shit’

Draw, draw, draw, WIN has a sense of progress and a sign we're hard to beat. Draw, draw, draw, LOSS looks and feels bad and builds uneccessary (because it is, at this stage) pressure

So. . winning helps; losing and drawing to many builds pressure. Who knew? 

Losing and drawing isn’t unnecessary pressure, it’s what happens at every club. Mellon or any manager can’t be given times without results. It’s that simple. 

I felt on Saturday, particularly at home, we're seeing progress, consistancy and some much needed character. Making comparisons to last season (and the one before) is unavoidable but most often, when we fell a goal behind, it meant only one result; defeat.

What is your barometer for progression? 

You mention character. If it’s so improved- Why is it that after the first 3 games we can’t play for ninety minutes? Why do we start slow and improve, or start well and fade. Why do we play well in spells of half an hour or one half. Now, there were times last season we didn’t even do that. But what are we saying? It’s better now, because at least we don’t completely fold and we at least get a draw! It’s not enough. How about we start on the front foot and play at tempo EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. 

I’m not bored of not winning, I’m used to it. I am really bored of drifting in and out of games- plodding along and clutching at straws. The fact I can remember 4 or 5 ninety minute performances in 18 months is both really sad and really telling. 

We’re doing ok. But after two years of serious investment- ok isn’t good enough.