MATCH: Southend United (H) 07/09/24

Wouldn't surprise me if Ogle could play as the strong direct running  attacking central midfielder we are short of. 

Doubt if MM will try it though even for a short stint in a match to have a look. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I like having my own proof reader :sign0173:

I was more thinking that you've nailed it, in that looking at our squad objectively it looks like we have the players but, for whatever reason, they aren't delivering 

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Ogle could play as the strong direct running  attacking central midfielder we are short of. 

Doubt if MM will try it though even for a short stint in a match to have a look. 

We waited two years or more for a right back. Be a bit odd if finally having got one we played him in central midfield 

• Like 3

Just now, Dave_Og said:

We waited two years or more for a right back. Be a bit odd if finally having got one we played him in central midfield 

Caprice can play right back so no reason not to give it a go at the right time. 

I've seen many players switch positions over the years, we even had a centre forward Ian Wood who successfully became a right back. I didn't see that one coming myself. 

If that hadn't been tried the odds are he'd have gone through his whole career as a striker and achieved very little. 

13 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

So what is the point of persevering with Lundstram?

Tried to accommodate him last year and flirted Sheron, many on here thought he was the problem despite scoring 7 goals. Has Lundstram ever looked like scoring since he joined?

Plenty telling us Conlon will be like a new signing after a pre season-that's working out well isn't it?

Posted last week about Conlon and Lundstram being too lightweight but we just turn out the same team again with Gardner dropped for Dolan-the only one with any physical presence but would you try and build a team around a player made of glass?

We signed Kay, Khan, Caprice. Kitching only sub again after a poor performance from Jez at Alty. TBH none of these look as though they will provide any presence in midfield but for gods sake try something different. 2 up front would have been a start at home on Sat at least, but no, we run Norwood into the ground instead especially after Charsley went off injured.

Lets see who starts on Tuesday now the pressure is building.

A good point. Since they joined last season, Lundstram has played 36 games in all comps including as a sub, and Conlon 24. Neither player has ever scored for us. Whatever their respective roles in the team, and debates over formation and tactics, their complete lack of goals over so many appearances is simply not good enough.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I've seen many players switch positions over the years, we even had a centre forward Ian Wood who successfully became a right back. I didn't see that one coming myself. 

If that hadn't been tried the odds are he'd have gone through his whole career as a striker and achieved very little. 

Yep, Wood, Marshall the two that stand out for us. Warhurst should be on that list, but sadly found his vocation elsewhere. Bar Groves I'd have him as the most naturally talented player I've seen in our colours 

24 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Caprice played well on the right, putting a few decent (early) crosses in so to move him now doesn't strike me as a good move. 

Ogle looked comfortable on the right of a three second half so may continue there.

17 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Caprice played well on the right, putting a few decent (early) crosses in so to move him now doesn't strike me as a good move. 

Ogle looked comfortable on the right of a three second half so may continue there.

I'm only suggesting he could be tried there in a suitable game like the FA trophy to see if he shapes up or not. Otherwise we may never know. 

Found this on the internet:

'Predominantly plays at right-back but is a versatile footballer who can also play at left-back, centre-half and as a central midfielder' 

Edited by BP1960

41 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The National League Kyle Walker...

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Said it so many times but we need a midfielder or wide player to chip in with goals consistently, ideally a couple. 

We are a side that relies on Norwood and failing that, Fondop. 

We won’t change until this is sorted. 

I wonder (coz I’m too lazy to check) what our defence / midfield players’ scoring records were like for other clubs?

Better?

Worse? 🤣

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Dolan is that player surely?

• Like 1

There aren’t many goal scorers in the team / squad. Love them or hate them, but Green & Sheron were a good source of goals. Josh Kay could be the midfielder/forward to replace their goals if he can stay fit.

Hobson, Raglan, Kitch, Ogle, Caprice won’t chip in with many. Conlon & Lundstrum need to contribute with assists or goals to help this team.

8 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Or at centre back when we have Hobson there, no one would try that though. 🤔

2 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

There aren’t many goal scorers in the team / squad. Love them or hate them, but Green & Sheron were a good source of goals. Josh Kay could be the midfielder/forward to replace their goals if he can stay fit.

Hobson, Raglan, Kitch, Ogle, Caprice won’t chip in with many. Conlon & Lundstrum need to contribute with assists or goals to help this team.

Kay didnt look comfortable central. I see him better wide. 

4 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Both of those players usually sit deep and don't get into attacking positions as much as, say Khan, Charsley, Jes and Kay. I'd only be expecting a couple of goals a season from them, but at least 4-5 from the more attacking players.

With Monthe in our side, at least our goal output from our defenders should increase. We've been incredibly anaemic off set pieces in the last two seasons but seen signs of that improving already.

With Kay and Charsley out and assuming Norwood is a doubt,  Dolan needs to start again but have a much more positive effect in our forward play. 
can he press with Hammond in the 2 behind Fondop? 

Hudson

Caprice

Ogle 

Raggers

Monty

Kitch

Conlon

Gardner

Dolan 

Hammond

Mikey 

Jez needs a rest so benched. 
Khan is definitely an option to start. 
Reid on the bench if Garner still isn’t ready. 

On 9/8/2024 at 10:32 PM, League one forever said:

Losing and drawing isn’t unnecessary pressure, it’s what happens at every club. 

It is unneccessary pressure at this stage of the season IMO. We're literally just sat outside the play-offs and two back-to-back wins would see us firmly within it. The noise of "if we don't win next match, the season's over" builds that unnessasary pressure. Like you say, it's a small minority but it quickly builds. And before you know it we're dismantling another manager's team for a new face who'll want his own team in.

What is your barometer for progression? 

My barometer's laced with realism. I understood the scale of the task MM had last season and so far I'm satisfied the calibre and quality of player we're signing is starting to feel much more consistant. Monthe, Charsley and Ogle have more than lived up to promise and I do think MM will get more out of some of the existing lot he's inherited. I see where we're at as phase one of the rebirth. Make us a tough nut to crack and phase two is where that foundation puts you in good stead to break teams down more frequently. Given the majority of his signings are midfield and forward players, there is still an element of gelling time these need.

You mention character. If it’s so improved- Why is it that after the first 3 games we can’t play for ninety minutes? Why do we start slow and improve, or start well and fade. Why do we play well in spells of half an hour or one half. Now, there were times last season we didn’t even do that. But what are we saying? It’s better now, because at least we don’t completely fold and we at least get a draw! It’s not enough. How about we start on the front foot and play at tempo EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. 

I dunno. A myriad of reasons I guess? We perhaps caught Braintree on the hop with a fast start and we were gifted a couple of goals which relaxed everyone, including the crowd, really quickly. Perhaps better teams work out a plan of subduing us in early parts of the game? Perhaps MM is still working out his best midfield combinations and will sooner-or-later find that magic formula?

We’re doing ok. But after two years of serious investment- ok isn’t good enough. 

I agree, it's not. But I don't feel we're too far from turning OK into decent.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hollandspies said:

With Kay and Charsley out and assuming Norwood is a doubt,  Dolan needs to start again but have a much more positive effect in our forward play. 
can he press with Hammond in the 2 behind Fondop? 

Isn't Hammond on international duty?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It is unneccessary pressure at this stage of the season IMO. We're literally just sat outside the play-offs and two back-to-back wins would see us firmly within it. The noise of "if we don't win next match, the season's over" builds that unnessasary pressure. Like you say, it's a small minority but it quickly builds. And before you know it we're dismantling another manager's team for a new face who'll want his own team in.

My barometer's laced with realism. I understood the scale of the task MM had last season and so far I'm satisfied the calibre and quality of player we're signing is starting to feel much more consistant. Monthe, Charsley and Ogle have more than lived up to promise and I do think MM will get more out of some of the existing lot he's inherited. I see where we're at as phase one of the rebirth. Make us a tough nut to crack and phase two is where that foundation puts you in good stead to break teams down more frequently. Given the majority of his signings are midfield and forward players, there is still an element of gelling time these need.

I dunno. A myriad of reasons I guess? We perhaps caught Braintree on the hop with a fast start and we were gifted a couple of goals which relaxed everyone, including the crowd, really quickly. Perhaps better teams work out a plan of subduing us in early parts of the game? Perhaps MM is still working out his best midfield combinations and will sooner-or-later find that magic formula?

I agree, it's not. But I don't feel we're too far from turning OK into decent.

All very fair, and balanced.

Just don’t think I’m as patient as you, because if I follow your phase 1 to phase 2 thinking. Then on his current trajectory that’s at least two seasons in the making IMO.

So in essence he gets this season to keep rebuilding, without really needing to challenge.  I don’t agree with that, because it’s too much of a free pass. 

Last season he didn’t win a game in the last ten and two wins would’ve got us in. If he doesn’t really improve on that (top 5) then he doesn’t warrant another year because to my mind he is just doing ok again. 

The nub of it, is this. When he was brought in do you think the club said - rebuild us and just get us promoted by the last year of your contract. I don’t. I think they said get us promoted asap please.