MATCH: Southend United (H) 07/09/24

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

All very fair, and balanced.

Just don’t think I’m as patient as you, because if I follow your phase 1 to phase 2 thinking. Then on his current trajectory that’s at least two seasons in the making IMO.

So in essence he gets this season to keep rebuilding, without really needing to challenge.  I don’t agree with that, because it’s too much of a free pass. 

Last season he didn’t win a game in the last ten and two wins would’ve got us in. If he doesn’t really improve on that (top 5) then he doesn’t warrant another year because to my mind he is just doing ok again. 

The nub of it, is this. When he was brought in do you think the club said - rebuild us and just get us promoted by the last year of your contract. I don’t. I think they said get us promoted asap please. 

You’re making assumptions I’d be happy with a mid-table finish while we get our shit together. That’s not the case. If we’re floundering in mid-table and 12 points off a play off place mid season then I don’t think the board would put up with that. 

Last season was a write off anyway. He made the assessment very early on. We just didn’t have the players - the midfield - to sustain a tilt at promotion. The fact we got to the fringes of it and fell away probably, in hindsight (ha!) was false hope. It was always about steadying the ship and taking the time to suss out who would go forward with us and who would be canned.

This season the aim has to be a play-off berth and continuous improvement. Whilst we lie just outside it, we’re not far wrong and we’re displaying the germ of a solid home record (I know, I know, it’s not always exciting). 

47 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You’re making assumptions I’d be happy with a mid-table finish while we get our shit together. That’s not the case. If we’re floundering in mid-table and 12 points off a play off place mid season then I don’t think the board would put up with that

Agreed. 👍🏻

50 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Last season was a write off anyway. He made the assessment very early on. We just didn’t have the players - the midfield - to sustain a tilt at promotion. The fact we got to the fringes of it and fell away probably, in hindsight (ha!) was false hope. It was always about steadying the ship and taking the time to suss out who would go forward with us and who would be canned.

Mmmm. Is 35 games a period of time to steady the ship, or is it more than enough time to implement your ideas, and have a way of playing instilled in the side. (Even if results aren’t quite there) That will pay off down the line. I suppose this season will attest to that. If we do well, you can look back to last year as steadying the ship. If we tail off it looks and feels like a repeat of last year. . 

54 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

This season the aim has to be a play-off berth and continuous improvement. Whilst we lie just outside it, we’re not far wrong and we’re displaying the germ of a solid home record (I know, I know, it’s not always exciting). 

Yep, fair enough. 

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Just don’t think I’m as patient as you

It's a really good shout to point this out actually. I don't mean your patience personally, I just mean in general. It's probably where we're all different and what leads to conflict on here and social media is that we all have differing levels of patience!

Just now, nzlatic said:

It's a really good shout to point this out actually. I don't mean your patience personally, I just mean in general. It's probably where we're all different and what leads to conflict on here and social media is that we all have differing levels of patience!

I prefer the debate on here as it seems more balanced and generally I can see where others are coming from, some of the other platforms are cesspits and full of cranks and trolls.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

I prefer the debate on here as it seems more balanced and generally I can see where others are coming from, some of the other platforms are cesspits and full of cranks and trolls.

100%. I read the hashtag on twitter sometimes but never post, it's just not worth it.

The debate on here can get aggro at times, but usually right in the aftermath of a defeat which is understandable. Most of the time it's fair and the cranks and trolls are minimal. 

44 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

100%. I read the hashtag on twitter sometimes but never post, it's just not worth it.

The debate on here can get aggro at times, but usually right in the aftermath of a defeat which is understandable. Most of the time it's fair and the cranks and trolls are minimal

.........but regular !  

It's a tough one because at the end of the day all Latics fans are desperate for success. Some want instantaneous results, which is probably reasonable to some extent given the level we're at and the outlay so far. Some (would probably include myself here) know that that success will take some time and patience which a decent amount of our support (not unreasonably) don't have anymore. It definitely leads to frustration on both sides.

Generally though there isn't the toxicity (is that a word or just a SOAD song?) on this board that you see in other places

57 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It's a tough one because at the end of the day all Latics fans are desperate for success. Some want instantaneous results, which is probably reasonable to some extent given the level we're at and the outlay so far. Some (would probably include myself here) know that that success will take some time and patience which a decent amount of our support (not unreasonably) don't have anymore. It definitely leads to frustration on both sides.

Generally though there isn't the toxicity (is that a word or just a SOAD song?) on this board that you see in other places

This is spot on Guy. 

When it’s away from the game and we talk big picture/backing managers/the need to build something it’s all very reasonable and sensible.

Then I watch another game where for 976th time it’s a mixture of all our past woes. Apathy /boredom/frustration kicks in, and the question quickly becomes when will it end? 

It’s also why I get very giddy over a few good performances or results, because like everybody else I’m fucking desperate for the promotion train to start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

There's different levels of patience.

We haven't had a promotion or trophy since 1991.  Not the current board's fault, but it's a burden they take on when they bought the club.  However you want to frame it, we've had too many false dawns over the last 33 years and there's only so many times people will watch the same show.

Patient with the board and manager?  Fair enough, but I would say the improvement we've seen isn't proportional to the money we've spent.  It might be about to come good, but believing that is based on very little of what we've seen under Mellon.

I would say there's a bit of urgency to get up too.  I don't know how deep the Rothwell's pockets are, but it's going to be harder and harder to chuck money at it as the years go by and then the chances of us getting back up will get lower.  I know there's "average number of years" stats etc that teams are down here, but it really is down to the individual club.  It depends how much investment you have and whether you've got the right people in place.

• Like 1

If this and if that I know doesn't cut it.....BUT, had we taken the chances we've missed in most games we would certainly be top.

Most games we have a good chunk of it playing on the front foot that gets you excited, then an equal chunk of boredom. That for me is where we need to improve, making that excited front foot chunk greater. Which leads me to thinking we are not far away from 'knowing what good looks like'

Hopefully tonight at Halifax even without a few shoe in starters.

Edited by Lags