MATCH: Southend United (H) 07/09/24

Really poor that. That first half was absolutely honking. I’m not football analyst but I said before the game Southends goal threat is Morris. What does Conlon do let him run across him and score.

midfield two of Lundstram and Conlon is so weak. They offer very little. Hudson should’ve that straight in the middle of the goal.

no wins in five is very concerning. The same how we finished last season.

we missed Charsley and Norwood injured at the end. We need some players in. 

It'll continue to be frustrating until we win games.

However aside from injury time where they showed their attacking threat, we overloaded them in the last 30 mins and deserved the equaliser, possibly more.

5 subs helps us, but the players we can bring on from the bench give us energy and can change the game.

The result isn't good enough but I'm trusting this squad more and more to come good.

Not a great first half, better second. I think like a lot of us I was expecting us to be the big club in this div this year with the big budget and we just don’t look it. Not going to be a chesterfield, or notts or Wrexham. 5 without win plus 1 goals diff says a lot. We are ok, gez and ogle put in shifts but lack any real quality meaning creativity comes from middle where we are a bit ponderous. Can’t really see how we trying to score or attacking patterns of play. Still an awful lot to do even to be a top 3 side 

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

When every player is a 6/10 in a match at home a draw is probably all you can hope for.

That's now 13 draws from Mellons last 25 fixtures.

4 points from our last 15 is a really poor return and somehow we need to find a way to win, only Ebbsfleet below us in the 5 game form table.

Not sure what all the fuss was about over Dolan, he was a passenger, Lundstrum, Gardner and Conlon all poor in a midfield that was reminiscent of what we put out last season. 

Only bright spark for me was Caprice and Khan who must both be looking towards starting now as they at least showed attacking intent, big worry are the injuries to Norwood and Charsley. We ended up route one again at the end but never really showed enough to take more than a point. Pressure will probably mount on Mellon now, I thought the crowd stayed with them despite the piss poor performance. 

Draws absolutely killing us - again.

Anyone do the pools? 😉

Poorest we’ve been this season but still should have won. We were keeping possession well in the first half til the boos came for daring to pass backwards (despite keeping possession and it ending in a half chance for Norwood). 

When we went more direct we looked worse. 2nd half started poorly and we looked disorganised in midfield. Then got more back into it. 

I liked the look of Ogle on the right of the back 3 with Caprice and Kitching out wide. Need to start with those wing backs on Tuesday. We got far more crosses in and got further up the pitch. Playing Ogle instead of Hobson could mean having the option of an overlap, something that doesn’t really happen with Hobson. 

We need to sort out defending free kicks, another soft goal conceded. 

Southend were a horrible team to watch. Constant shithousery. Numbers 2, 7 and 23 especially. Bravo 👏 

A very frustrating game to watch. Moreso than the other draws. But at least dropping more points has given some visible hardons to some of the posters on here. So that’s nice. 

2 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

It'll continue to be frustrating until we win games.

However aside from injury time where they showed their attacking threat, we overloaded them in the last 30 mins and deserved the equaliser, possibly more.

5 subs helps us, but the players we can bring on from the bench give us energy and can change the game.

The result isn't good enough but I'm trusting this squad more and more to come good.

To balance this out, we've conceded way too many goals from set pieces already this season and that needs to change.

That was the worst performance of the season in my opinion and we come away with a point.  Against a team who came for a draw and in my opinion were as bad as us, had possession but really done nothing with it but frustrate.

May seem strange but have to be happy with a point.  We were awful for around 65 minutes.

We had a bit of continuous pressure with corners etc, got the goal and kicked into gear for 20 minutes.  Happy for big Mikey.

Subs definitely made a difference today, Caprice put a lot of good crosses into the box and played really well, got stuck in.

Think it's time to give Jeez a rest, he was very very poor today and contributed nothing.  Kitching came on and made a difference as did Khan.

Worrying signs with Charsley and Norwood looking injured.

Point a fair result although a performance like today's will certainly not do going forward.  Still. Have no clue what the plan was in first half.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

This Uchegbulam lad is miles off it as well.

He really needs a rest. I think Mellon has stuck with him one game too many. He’s got a threat in him but had a poor game today. 

• Like 1

Jed needs to come off the bench where he’d be a much bigger threat against tired defenders.

I really don’t think MM has a clue who he should or shouldn’t be playing.

He’s more likely to find the solution by accident.

It’s very disappointing because we’ve certainly not hit the ground running, that’s for sure.

Nothing but a win will do on Tuesday, a defeat will put us well back from the top sides!!

30 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Really poor that. That first half was absolutely honking. I’m not football analyst but I said before the game Southends goal threat is Morris. What does Conlon do let him run across him and score.

midfield two of Lundstram and Conlon is so weak. They offer very little. Hudson should’ve that straight in the middle of the goal.

no wins in five is very concerning. The same how we finished last season.

we missed Charsley and Norwood injured at the end. We need some players in. 

I just don’t rate Lundstram, keep looking for a good player in him but just can’t see it. We needed a forward before today but we might need two now. 

• Like 1

listened  to BBC radio comentry  Pete wild as summeriser called the change needed 10 mins before half time sure enough change made and second half and it worked .tho he did say up until the goal we were controlling them carbon copy of goal at Alty allowed them to run across our defenders at a set piece 

0 wins in 5 and now 3 wins in 18 going back to last season. It’s not good enough. 

Such a shame about Charsley, Hopefully it’s not a bad one as he’s probably been our best player this season (him or Monthe). 

Thought Caprice did really well when he came on. 

We need more from Conlon but my God Josh Lundstram is absolutely shite. So weak, often hides. Get in the bin. 

The squad is underperforming. We need to buck up and quickly otherwise pressure will ramp up. 

12 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

That was a very depleted Southend as well. They failed to have 7 players on the bench. Really annoyed with that today 

It's amazing what a few injuries and other Chairmen with v deep pockets can cause. If Josh Walker, Danny Waldron, Kav Miley Oli Coker, Ollie Kensdale or Harry Cardwell had all been fit and available, I wonder whether the 3 points would have been ours? I will never know as the same, with different players, is probably true for you as well.

Nevertheless, it was a pretty even game in the end and I reckon 1 point each was probably fair. Not being able to make the trip up today I watched the streamed version and the commentators had me in stitches at times, especially when they finally realised that 5 subs are now allowed in games. Good luck for the rest of the season until your visit to the Hall. We have Eastleigh at home on Tuesday, should be fun.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

0 wins in 5 and now 3 wins in 18 going back to last season. It’s not good enough. 

Such a shame about Charsley, Hopefully it’s not a bad one as he’s probably been our best player this season (him or Monthe). 

Thought Caprice did really well when he came on. 

We need more from Conlon but my God Josh Lundstram is absolutely shite. So weak, often hides. Get in the bin. 

The squad is underperforming. We need to buck up and quickly otherwise pressure will ramp up. 

People want to find a player in lundstrom. I get that. But there isn’t one there am afraid.

ollie Hammond in the same category at the moment but granted we have seen less of him. 

Kitchin will be back in next game. 

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

This Uchegbulam lad is miles off it as well.

I think we have signed a duffer there 😞

Kitching should start on Tuesday as should Khan.

Definitely worrying that Charsley and Norwood look to have picked up injuries.

Fondop showed what a good impact sub he could be.

Surprised that Dolan came off as early as he did.

Mellon? I’m still not convinced 🤔

23 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Jed needs to come off the bench where he’d be a much bigger threat against tired defenders.

I really don’t think MM has a clue who he should or shouldn’t be playing.

He’s more likely to find the solution by accident.

It’s very disappointing because we’ve certainly not hit the ground running, that’s for sure.

Nothing but a win will do on Tuesday, a defeat will put us well back from the top sides!!

I’m not so sure.

He’s had to rely on Fondop until recently.

Khan took ages to sign.

Jez form since the first games has nosedived but the issue is Kitching isn’t a great replacement.

He clearly wants another striker and then we’ll go 2 up top.

Id also consider starting Caprice RWB and replace Hobson with Ogle. Tired of seeing us knock it about at the back until it gets to Hobson and he launches it aimlessly.

5 minutes ago, Rootshallbloke said:
It's amazing what a few injuries and other Chairmen with v deep pockets can cause. If Josh Walker, Danny Waldron, Kav Miley Oli Coker, Ollie Kensdale or Harry Cardwell had all been fit and available, I wonder whether the 3 points would have been ours? I will never know as the same, with different players, is probably true for you as well.

Nevertheless, it was a pretty even game in the end and I reckon 1 point each was probably fair. Not being able to make the trip up today I watched the streamed version and the commentators had me in stitches at times, especially when they finally realised that 5 subs are now allowed in games. Good luck for the rest of the season until your visit to the Hall. We have Eastleigh at home on Tuesday, should be fun.

Commentary team are embarrassing but that's currently the least of our problems.

Problem now is he's probably going to have to change something going forward as drawing games will just get him the sack.

If Norwood and Charsley are out we need three players in and sharpish, it's not even up for debate. 

After two wins early doors this is now a worrying time for us, that was a performance from the back end of last season today, we looked toothless and clueless for large parts in a game we really needed to win.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Problem now is he's probably going to have to change something going forward as drawing games will just get him the sack.

If Norwood and Charsley are out we need three players in and sharpish, it's not even up for debate. 

After two wins early doors this is now a worrying time for us, that was a performance from the back end of last season today, we looked toothless and clueless for large parts in a game we really needed to win.

Still happy with your bet Faz?

Football aside- the match day experience today - I couldn't understand a word the fella on the microphone was saying..and maybe I'm an old fart but wtf is this new music? I want my mouldy old dough / fanfare back!