MATCH: Southend United (H) 07/09/24

10 minutes ago, rvlatic said:

Football aside- the match day experience today - I couldn't understand a word the fella on the microphone was saying..and maybe I'm an old fart but wtf is this new music? I want my mouldy old dough / fanfare back!

I'm approaching old fart stage and totally agree. The tannoy seems worse than ever this season....

57 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Unfortunately it looks like the 'negative' lads were right, we aren't going anywhere with this dud in charge.

Unfortunately?  😂

You, me and the negative lads love that we're doomed for the next 13 years due to the first 7 games.  At least be honest and don't deny it.

4 minutes ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

I'm approaching old fart stage and totally agree. The tannoy seems worse than ever this season....

For some strange reason the lad on the mic comes across like he's had a bag of blue smarties and a can of red bull before he starts work.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

I’m not so sure.

He’s had to rely on Fondop until recently.

Khan took ages to sign.

Jez form since the first games has nosedived but the issue is Kitching isn’t a great replacement.

He clearly wants another striker and then we’ll go 2 up top.

Id also consider starting Caprice RWB and replace Hobson with Ogle. Tired of seeing us knock it about at the back until it gets to Hobson and he launches it aimlessly.

jez and ogle are trying, have potential but one has come from nat league north and the other been in non league bar one season. Work hard but lack any quality to worry any decent sides. Cheep squad fillers at best. Caprice miles better, looks like he can put in a better ball also. Would have him and kitching over both 

However have to say not sure wingbacks is a good option. The midfield are so ponderous and sideways I feel we need a formation shift as the wing backs aren’t good enough to Create much 

Edited by Careca9

16 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Unfortunately?  😂

You, me and the negative lads love that we're doomed for the next 13 years due to the first 7 games.  At least be honest and don't deny it.

Yes, unfortunately. We needn't be doomed for 13 years, just as long as we don't stick with this dud.

Third season now, performances on the pitch have not improved. There’s still problems with catering and the fans bar. Attendances beginning to drop off. Apathy definitely setting in. 

There was no football in the top leagues today and the crowd was low. We will soon have crowds starting with 4.

on the pitch we don’t have any sellable assets. The people making the footballing decisions need a long hard look at themselves. The ship can be turned around but those who gave Frank their goodwill that is gone and it will be hard to get those fans to return. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Third season now, performances on the pitch have not improved. There’s still problems with catering and the fans bar. Attendances beginning to drop off. Apathy definitely setting in. 

There was no football in the top leagues today and the crowd was low. We will soon have crowds starting with 4.

on the pitch we don’t have any sellable assets. The people making the footballing decisions need a long hard look at themselves. The ship can be turned around but those who gave Frank their goodwill that is gone and it will be hard to get those fans to return. 

Absolutely .Correct.

30 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Yep straight down the middle. Has to do better 

Hobson, Lundstram very poor, Conlon getting worse. Dolan looked like he hadn't a clue what position he was supposed to play. Jes weak under pressure. 

Norwood looks injured again. 

MM looks unable to change things I'm afraid. 

Ony bright spots were subs Fondop, Caprice and Khan who MM didnt even think of starting, probably because they are attack minded and don't play deep. 

Edited by BP1960

22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Hobson, Lundstram very poor, Conlon getting worse. Dolan looked like he hadn't a clue what position he was supposed to play. Jes weak under pressure. 

Ony bright spots were subs Fondop, Caprice and Khan who MM didnt even think of starting, probably because they are attack minded and don't play deep. 

Mellon unable to change things? 
Then you say one positive was the subs? 😂

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Thought Dolan was going to be the game changer?

• Like 1

After witnessing some v poor football when I started watching Latics again last season, the start of this season was a breath of fresh air. After Fylde, though, I said we might stutter via too many draws because of our impotence up front.

Last season I was convinced we'd have to almost completely replace midfield; in particular Lundstram and Conlon were awful in my view. I thought they had proven me wrong with a close season transformation but my doubts are back. I think teams have already sussed them out as weak.

I'll be crucified for this but I'm not a Norwood fan either.

We have gone flat worryingly quickly after a bright start and we need to find a winning formula very quickly. Home wins equals bums on seats; simple as that. As someone else has said too many games like today and we'll be down to sub 5000 home fans. It doesn't take long to lose fans; it takes ages to get them back (the relatively recent huge swell was all down to the Frank goodwill factor; that's gone now and it's all down to what's provided on the day for a steep £25).

Not a crisis by any means but the fans need to believe we are getting out of this league otherwise it will be down to a hardcore 3,000 relatively swiftly; the discontent was palpable today, even amongst sensible fans around me.

Another game where we only look ok/decent for 45 minutes. 

Again we lack tempo and spend to much time plodding through the game 

Without Charsley it’s the same the midfield deemed not good last season. . . 

Lack of striking options really biting us in the arse. 

Getting harder to defend Mellon when the same patterns keep emerging.

Starting to feel like it’s just - can we a bit less shit than the oppo rather than can we dominate. 

Will we be ok? Yes.

Is ok good enough. No. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Works well at the rugby games though. 

Presume it depends where you sit although last season I struggled to hear it in the Joe Royle stand and this year I've moved the decrepid main stand and it is crap there too. Probably need my hearing tested though (as well my head for watching Oldham).

Thought it worth a mention, how bad was Conlon today, captain material he ain't given he's carried most games. He turned the forward pass down at an alarming rate today and almost cruises through games. Still don't know what he's bringing to the table particularly with the faith Mellon puts in him, he might say the right stuff in the dressing room but I prefer my captain to lead by example. He's been piss poor barring a couple of halves of football and I expected better.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Thought it worth a mention, how bad was Conlon today, captain material he ain't given he's carried most games. He turned the forward pass down at an alarming rate today and almost cruises through games. Still don't know what he's bringing to the table particularly with the faith Mellon puts in him, he might say the right stuff in the dressing room but I prefer my captain to lead by example. He's been piss poor barring a couple of halves of football and I expected better.

Got to agree. I really struggle to see what he brings. Can’t remember him creating a chance since he joined. Took off set pieces for Gardner. He’s offering very little 

Is anyone else starting to think it’s another season of mediocre/ok? 

IE - top 10. 

I’m desperate to jump on the bandwagon of us nearly being there. . but as Micky says- I watch with my eyes. 

We had three ninety minute performance’s for three games. 

Since then, we play in spells, we desperately lack consistent tempo. We tend to start one of either half slow. I watch us think and we’re just an ok side. 

Just feels like Groundhog Day, and the stat about us not being any further forward than under Shez feels really pertinent to me.