Ten Games In

On 9/5/2024 at 10:33 AM, JoeP said:

The jury's still out for me. 

The first two games were textbook.

The Fylde and Gateshead games were good performances, we would have lost them last season and we came back after being behind, even if we didn't win... which is positive.

Didn't see Aldershot, but I don't think there can ever really be positive about losing 4-1 at Aldershot, even if we did play well in parts. 

Altrincham I didn't like.

There's definitely an improvement, but it's still too early to call it. I dunno if I can get that enthusiastic about just being slightly better than last season. It'll probably get us in the play-offs, but there will still be a lot of duff games we'll have to endure.

The next four games I want a win on Saturday, then 2 draws and a win from the next 3. That would be a good start to the season. 

if youre at the match and we score and/or win the you cheer and get excited. it's difficult not to!!

On 9/5/2024 at 10:33 AM, JoeP said:

The jury's still out for me. 

The first two games were textbook.

The Fylde and Gateshead games were good performances, we would have lost them last season and we came back after being behind, even if we didn't win... which is positive.

Didn't see Aldershot, but I don't think there can ever really be positive about losing 4-1 at Aldershot, even if we did play well in parts. 

Altrincham I didn't like.

There's definitely an improvement, but it's still too early to call it. I dunno if I can get that enthusiastic about just being slightly better than last season. It'll probably get us in the play-offs, but there will still be a lot of duff games we'll have to endure.

The next four games I want a win on Saturday, then 2 draws and a win from the next 3. That would be a good start to the season. 

I’m okay with us being a little better than last season in the early stages of this, so long as we continue to improve as the season goes on. I think there are promising signs but we still need another striker. 

• Like 1

It’s a weird one. I like Mellon and I back him, but I also appreciate we’re backing a man who’s old school, whilst the game is moving on and seeing young managers exceed expectation and in most cases show older managers up.

Last year was horrific, and it’s clear for me the way we play is chalk and cheese to last season. 

Braintree - fodder and should have been 5+, yet last season, that could easily have been a defeat

Wealdstone - fortunate winner, but again, we lose that last season.

Fylde - should have won, yet they outplayed us twice last season 

Aldershot - dire. Nothing to add

Gateshead - arguably the best footballing side in the league, yet apart from the first 10 mins, particularly the second half, it was one way traffic. We should have won that at a canter.  Did we see us play on the front foot as much as we did in the second half at any point last season? 

Altrincham - I was quite disappointed as they aren’t the same as least year without CCC in particular, but again we should have won.

On another day, we have 5 more points. Bar Aldershot and a couple of small periods in games, we’ve looked very competitive, often the better side. Last year was depressing as can be, waiting and expecting us to get rolled over by shite teams let alone Altrincham & Gateshead.

Its miles better this season, and thus far we’ve done it with a NLN level striker whilst we wait for Norwood to come back (who’s been rushed back IMO).

I still retain hope we’ll sign Stones as I can’t see him in Wigan’s plans (risk of a L2 team signing him of course), but with Norwood getting up to full match fitness, Dolan finding his feet, and the squad depth we look to be getting, I genuinely feel positive this season.

• Like 3

Only six games in but I'm as hopeful as i can be at this stage of a season for a lomg time.

I've had a good bet on us this week eachway first 3 places, William Hill have us at 20's which is way too big in my opinion.

They currently have Barnet favourites at 2's and Gateshead second best at 3/1, based on what I've seen so far there's nothing at all to suggest we will be too far away from Gateshead come the end of the season, we were the better team when we faced them, have a deeper squad and better placed in my opinion to push on.

Barnet are a funny team and have had one or two decent results beating Forest Green and Southend at home but they were fortuitous to beat 10 man Forest Green and I'm still not convinced by them, their away form is likely to be their achilles heel and 2's is way too short.

Only other team I see as overpriced in the list is Forest Green who you can still back at 11/1 and I might just have a saver on them, I see them as certain for top 3 so 3/1 is a cracking price for that.

Today's guests Southend are fourth in the betting ahead of us, it will be interesting to see where we are at against a team who the bookies rate higher, I still expect them to be in the top 6 but they may just fall short, George Moncur is  a quality signing at our level and much will depend on how he gets on this season for them, he's always played well when I've seen him and is a tidy midfielder. 

There are a couple of teams around us in the betting who could come in to the picture Sutton, Rochdale and York but like ourselves they've not really showed the necessary consistency yet but I see the League winner coming from these eight.

Top goalscorer market is also interesting, Norwood available at 33's also seems overpriced from an each way angle, it's fair to say he's not got going yet so a shade over 8/1 for him to be in the top 4 scorers seems very fair to me given he scored 17 last season almost single handedly.

I had a bet last season before we travelled down to Southend at 11/1 for us to win the League, cashed out on the way back as you knew then we were in trouble starting with four right footed centrehalfs across the back four as well as looking miles off it in midfield. 

This season I'm more hopeful, hopefully the weight of my money won't make them wobble.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

It’s a weird one. I like Mellon and I back him, but I also appreciate we’re backing a man who’s old school, whilst the game is moving on and seeing young managers exceed expectation and in most cases show older managers up.

Last year was horrific, and it’s clear for me the way we play is chalk and cheese to last season. 

Braintree - fodder and should have been 5+, yet last season, that could easily have been a defeat

Wealdstone - fortunate winner, but again, we lose that last season.

Fylde - should have won, yet they outplayed us twice last season 

Aldershot - dire. Nothing to add

Gateshead - arguably the best footballing side in the league, yet apart from the first 10 mins, particularly the second half, it was one way traffic. We should have won that at a canter.  Did we see us play on the front foot as much as we did in the second half at any point last season? 

Altrincham - I was quite disappointed as they aren’t the same as least year without CCC in particular, but again we should have won.

On another day, we have 5 more points. Bar Aldershot and a couple of small periods in games, we’ve looked very competitive, often the better side. Last year was depressing as can be, waiting and expecting us to get rolled over by shite teams let alone Altrincham & Gateshead.

Its miles better this season, and thus far we’ve done it with a NLN level striker whilst we wait for Norwood to come back (who’s been rushed back IMO).

I still retain hope we’ll sign Stones as I can’t see him in Wigan’s plans (risk of a L2 team signing him of course), but with Norwood getting up to full match fitness, Dolan finding his feet, and the squad depth we look to be getting, I genuinely feel positive this season.

Norwood's been rushed back? Really?

He's looking fit and Mellon said that they are being "scientific" in the approach.

My read on this is it's been an overly cautious return to action for him (which I'm not criticising)

Norwood didn't seem ready to come off at Alty.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Norwood's been rushed back? Really?

He's looking fit and Mellon said that they are being "scientific" in the approach.

My read on this is it's been an overly cautious return to action for him (which I'm not criticising)

Norwood didn't seem ready to come off at Alty.

I agree, he looked sharp as well last week which bodes well.

40 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Already 8 points off the top and down to 13th. 

Next season now a big worry. Another year at this level and crowds dwindling. We could be down to 3k again. We need to get the next appointment bang on. 

What table are you looking at?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Next season now a big worry. Another year at this level and crowds dwindling. We could be down to 3k again. We need to get the next appointment bang on. 

We've played 7 games and next season is now a worry and 3k gates on the horizon.

Firstly,  wtf

Secondly, I worry about some Oldham fans.

I know our start has been a bit meh, drawing so many esp. But after seven games we know we are not too far away from turning draws into wins.

These games we have drawn this season, we would of lost them last season.

Slow progress yes, two up top a must and get Khan in from the start, Jez used as a sub. Love or hate Kitchen, he will put balls in box, as will Caprece.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

Slow progress yes, two up top a must and get Khan in from the start, Jez used as a sub. Love or hate Kitchen, he will put balls in box, as will Caprece.

Surely MM will know this too!😂😂

5 hours ago, GKing521 said:

We're two points off the playoffs with 39 games to play - let's not write this season off just yet... 

31 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

I am witnessing a small improvement on last year. That may be enough to get us out of this league.

i can, reluctantly, accept  that

Playing regularly like that last night wouldn't get us out of this or any other league the right way

32 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

oh it can!!

We don't score enough goals for starters and we're always susceptible to letting the odd one in.

Until we have a complete shutout at the back, we've no chance of winning any games and on that basis we'll either finish up around mid-table or worse

42 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

We don't score enough goals for starters and we're always susceptible to letting the odd one in.

Until we have a complete shutout at the back, we've no chance of winning any games and on that basis we'll either finish up around mid-table or worse

There are lots of weaknesses and limitations. Too many to mention. But you can be shit and finish 7th in the NL. 

we don’t need to see a vast improvement on last year to have a chance of promotion.

Will we get promoted? Probably not

can this squad get in the playoffs? Yes

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

worse asin relegated? thats what l said.

Edited by Monty Burns
didnt edit it. just lettin oeople know l know where l fucked up. l never edit my mistakes l own them 🙄
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

There are lots of weaknesses and limitations. Too many to mention. But you can be shit and finish 7th in the NL. 

we don’t need to see a vast improvement on last year to have a chance of promotion.

Will we get promoted? Probably not

can this squad get in the playoffs? Yes

That should be a given but with the tactics being implemented?

It's touch and go