Ten Games In

On 9/5/2024 at 4:15 PM, astottie said:

Before the season started I looked at how we might get 84 points, which would see us in the thick of it at the end.

8 teams who we should beat home and away - 6 points

3 teams we should beat at home and draw away- 4 points

6 teams we should beat at home and lose away - 3 points

6 teams we should draw to at home and lose away -1 point

It wasn't scientific, just a way of allocating 84 points. It could have been done differently.

So far we are one point behind where we should be. The games that didn't go as I predicted were Fylde at home (win) and Alty (defeat).

I have us down for 5 points from the next 4 games although so far those teams haven't been performing as well as I expected them to so here's hoping.

Currently where we should be - I had predicted a defeat at Halifax. I have us down for a point on Saturday. Then 10 points from the next 4 games which may be the proof of the pudding.

9 hours ago, astottie said:

Currently where we should be - I had predicted a defeat at Halifax. I have us down for a point on Saturday. Then 10 points from the next 4 games which may be the proof of the pudding.

If we get ten points in four games then this forum will blow up. 

It has happened

but my god it’s highly unlikely 

We have drastically improved on the pitch this season. Hobson's corner flag challenge has been replaced by Marauding Monthe and our defence looks solid with Raglan and Ogle.

Midfield has improved simply by moving the magnets around.

Still out to lunch on Conlons leadership but It is getting more enjoyable to watch.

A Stones type player and we would have this league sewn up in March.

• Like 3

So here we are after 10 games sitting in 7th 4 points off the top

P10 W4 D5 L1 PTS 17 GD +4

I think overall I'd have taken that at the start of the season. It was beginning to look abit mediocre after 8 games but those 2 wins pulled it into Good.

We are still yet to be at absolute full strength. I think there is room for improvement at the top of the pitch. But its an improvement on last season and all in all I think we can be fairly happy with this so far. 

A long way to go plenty of twists and turns yet to come. But tonight we sit 7th and we are in contention that's what was needed at this stage of the season.

Edited by GlossopLatic

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

So here we are after 10 games sitting in 7th 4 points off the top

P10 W4 D5 L1 PTS 17 GD +4

I think overall I'd have taken that at the start of the season. It was beginning to look abit mediocre after 8 games but those 2 wins pulled it into Good.

We are still yet to be at absolute full strength. I think there is room for improvement at the top of the pitch. But its an improvement on last season and all in all I think we can be fairly happy with this so far. 

A long way to go plenty of twists and turns yet to come. But tonight we sit 7th and we are in contention that's what was needed at this stage of the season.

6th !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

6th !

Indeed, That very late Christian Doidge goal at Gateshead moves us up 1. We're going to need to watch him on Tuesday looking forward to that now will be a good test for us, but they won't necessarily fancy facing us right now a team on the up knowone likes coming to Boundary Park on a Tuesday night.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Comparing the table from last year after 10 games 5 of the 7 play off teams were there. The 22/23 season 6 of the 7 were already in them at this point.

i still feel we should have three more wins. We look very strong at the back. I still feel we need some creativity Dolan showed glimpses. Still have Kay and we all know how good Charsley looked. Reasons to be positive 

• Like 2

Overall 4 points off top is OK and about where we are at the moment I think.

Looks like around 90 points will give us a decent chance of winning this league so we need to average 2 per game from here on in.

We just need to find a way to score more....turn the single goal a game (in 8/10 games) into 2 more frequently and we can win this league, as nobody is pulling up any trees.

14 goals from 10 games is a poor return and only Halifax in the top 10 have scored less.

I said at the start of the season our lack of midfield goal contribution could be our Achilles heal and it's turning out to be the case.

Since Charlseys goal at Wealdstone our midfield have contributed only a single goal....Lundy at Woking.

Sort this out and we will be just fine....👍

5 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Comparing the table from last year after 10 games 5 of the 7 play off teams were there. The 22/23 season 6 of the 7 were already in them at this point.

i still feel we should have three more wins. We look very strong at the back. I still feel we need some creativity Dolan showed glimpses. Still have Kay and we all know how good Charsley looked. Reasons to be positive 

You change your tune more than an ice cream van

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

You change your tune more than an ice cream van

What have I changed, always been behind Mellon. We are solid at the back. Still feel we lack in midfield. I’d rather winning and losing games than drawing 4 or 5 in a row. 

6 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Overall 4 points off top is OK and about where we are at the moment I think.

Looks like around 90 points will give us a decent chance of winning this league so we need to average 2 per game from here on in.

We just need to find a way to score more....turn the single goal a game (in 8/10 games) into 2 more frequently and we can win this league, as nobody is pulling up any trees.

14 goals from 10 games is a poor return and only Halifax in the top 10 have scored less.

I said at the start of the season our lack of midfield goal contribution could be our Achilles heal and it's turning out to be the case.

Since Charlseys goal at Wealdstone our midfield have contributed only a single goal....Lundy at Woking.

Sort this out and we will be just fine....👍

Dolan has gone close a few times and he looks the one to chip in from midfield. 

I'd like to see him  play with more confidence though and take on defenders as he has the ability. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Dolan has gone close a few times and he looks the one to chip in from midfield. 

I'd like to see him  play with more confidence though and take on defenders as he has the ability. 

He needs to establish himself in the starting line up first but hopefully he will get his chance to show what he can do. As previously discussed he hasn't scored a goal above NLN level so far, so let's not rely on him....

Even if he comes up trumps, one midfielder player chipping in with a few goals won't cut it.

We need Conlan,Lundstrom, Hammond, Gardiner, Charlsey, Khan etc all chipping in if we are to have any chance of winning this league

On 9/22/2024 at 1:36 PM, BradKnowles1 said:

What have I changed, always been behind Mellon. We are solid at the back. Still feel we lack in midfield. I’d rather winning and losing games than drawing 4 or 5 in a row. 

Less than 3 weeks ago, you were saying:

Performances on the pitch haven’t improved.

Apathy is definitely setting in.

We will soon have crowds starting with a 4.

The people making decisions (re signings) at the club need a long hard look at themselves.

We are a poor, mid table team.

Recruitment has been wrong.

We are far from challenging for the title which is a catastrophic failure.

Here we are 3 weeks later and there are ‘reasons to be positive’.

Maybe, just maybe, just give things time?

• Like 3

On 9/12/2024 at 12:46 PM, astottie said:

6 points from the first 2 of those games. 4 points ahead of my original forecast for 84 points. 2 wins expected from the next 2 games.