Ten Games In

I don't think any team is cut and dried to win it at this stage. Barnet have had a great start and look a more complete side than they did last few. Forest Green impressed me when we played them and appear to be hitting a groove. But neither look like the tour-de-force that the title winners in the last few seasons have been.

You can flip a coin for the rest imo. If Norwood can find his mojo and we start putting away the plethora of chances we create we can be contenders, but at the moment we're a touch off it. Reek of a side finishing 5th.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don't think any team is cut and dried to win it at this stage. Barnet have had a great start and look a more complete side than they did last few. Forest Green impressed me when we played them and appear to be hitting a groove. But neither look like the tour-de-force that the title winners in the last few seasons have been.

You can flip a coin for the rest imo. If Norwood can find his mojo and we start putting away the plethora of chances we create we can be contenders, but at the moment we're a touch off it. Reek of a side finishing 5th.

There's way too much reliance on whether Norwood will get his act together or not

Hopefully one or both of the youngsters brought in will come good and show it's unnecessary.

11 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Would the board be happy with 5th?

I certainly wouldn’t be!!

19 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

5th would be a decent return 

That’s the problem with our fanbase nowadays. We are more than happy to accept mediocrity in the 5th division of English football!😳

Call it it entitlement call it what you want…..We should be up there challenging for the title and if we’re not, come May, we’ve got the wrong manager.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

That’s the problem with our fanbase nowadays. We are more than happy to accept mediocrity in the 5th division of English football!😳

Call it it entitlement call it what you want…..We should be up there challenging for the title and if we’re not, come May, we’ve got the wrong manager.

A 5th place finish would be our joint highest finish in any league in the last 33 years so yeah I'd be happy. We'd be in the play offs with a chance of promotion that would be good progress on last year.

The key would be to build on it the next season. If we don't go up we pick ourselves up and go again and challenge for the title next season. 

This is the real problem we've had, we've never seen a period sustained progress. Weve been in contention for promotion twice in the last 30 years between 2000-2003 in L1 over 3 seasons we went from 15th to 9th to 5th then the club imploded. Between 2004 to 2007 we went from 20th to 10th to 6th and then fell back then eventually spent the best part of a decade in 17th in L1. That mustn't happen this time. If we don't go up this year then we must be ready to go again next season.

So if our time in the national league was 12th to 10th to 5th and if we stay another year to 1st then that is progress. It's not always easy and it contains bumps in the road but that's what success in anything in life nevermind the existence of a football club.

Edited by GlossopLatic

See this sort of thing a lot on the internet and I’ve no idea what it means. 

What are the actions that show a fan to be “accepting mediocrity”? And how does those actions impact negatively on the club?

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What are the actions that show a fan to be “accepting mediocrity”? And how does those actions impact negatively on the club?

It truly is the worst saying going.

16 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Reek of a side finishing 5th.

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

5th would be a decent return 

Yep. 

No fan is more than happy with 5th, no fan is more than happy to be mediocre. That would be bizarre. 

What some fans are able to acknowledge is improvement, if we finish 5th that is 5 places higher than last season. .

Do we want more? Of course. But let’s not shit the bed when it’s obvious we’re moving in the right direction. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Comments like “5th would be a decent return” we should be aiming far higher than that!!
We have proper backing now for the first time in ages. We are geared for league football and a club our size should be in the EFL.

Fans are dropping away, the way we play football is driving that!

We need to be at or close to the top and we need to be playing attractive football. Saying we can’t win this league playing attractive attacking football is absolute bollocks!

If I was looking to employ a manager my first requirement would be for him to play an entertaining brand of good attacking football.

MM has improved us but his football is boring me to death.

14 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

There's way too much reliance on whether Norwood will get his act together or not

Hopefully one or both of the youngsters brought in will come good and show it's unnecessary.

GIVE IT A FUCKING REST SLAGGING NORWOOD OFF!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If I was looking to employ a manager my first requirement would be for him to play an entertaining brand of good attacking football.

MM has improved us but his football is boring me to death.

So entertaining football is more important than success?

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No.

But.

IMO- They would accept it as improvement, and let him see him out his contract next season.

Exactly this. The aim is clearly for promotion this season but I’m sure the board will be pragmatic enough to know it doesn’t always happen straight away and sticking with Mellon and let him develop further would be our best chance of success. Probably similar to Cook at Chesterfield. 

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agreed. 

Yep. 

No fan is more than happy with 5th, no fan is more than happy to be mediocre. That would be bizarre. 

What some fans are able to acknowledge is improvement, if we finish 5th that is 5 places higher than last season. .

Do we want more? Of course. But let’s not shit the bed when it’s obvious we’re moving in the right direction. 

Spot on.

the inability of some fans to understand context never ceases to amaze me.

Not sure how they function in this world. 

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

So entertaining football is more important than success?

Absolutely not because getting out of this league asap is paramount but to play entertaining football on the way would be better surely. To play percentage football, grind out a few wins and only finish 5th isn’t going to help swell our attendances!

We had a massive boost of supporter goodwill when the Rothwell’s took over but it’s diminishing month on month and it’s got to be down to the entertainment factor!

If it was a level playing field struggling to compete with the likes of Solihull, Halifax & Gateshead would probably be acceptable but it isn’t a level playing field is it?

5th is not OK!

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

Absolutely not because getting out of this league asap is paramount but to play entertaining football on the way would be better surely. To play percentage football, grind out a few wins and only finish 5th isn’t going to help swell our attendances!

We had a massive boost of supporter goodwill when the Rothwell’s took over but it’s diminishing month on month and it’s got to be down to the entertainment factor!

If it was a level playing field struggling to compete with the likes of Solihull, Halifax & Gateshead would probably be acceptable but it isn’t a level playing field is it?

5th is not OK!

In an ideal world we’d win every game playing fantastic football. That doesn’t happen though. The reality is we’ve had our best league start in 20 years or something yet you still seem really angry about it all. 

Perfect being the enemy of the good is much more of a problem than some fans seeing a positive in progression. 

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Exactly this. The aim is clearly for promotion this season but I’m sure the board will be pragmatic enough to know it doesn’t always happen straight away and sticking with Mellon and let him develop further would be our best chance of success. Probably similar to Cook at Chesterfield. 

This season might be the best chance we get though...

It’s fair to say that Latics have missed a good few chances to score in the vast majority of games this season. (High XG and all that bollox) 

I’m not sure that our build up play is that bad… maybe it’s a perception based on our inability to put the chances away?

Certainly don’t subscribe to the ‘the football is boring me to death’ camp 😮

• Like 1