MATCH: Halifax Town (A) 10/09/24

Tonight is a must win game for me - it’s getting very frustrating watching the team still displaying the same faults as last season. 

Yes, there has been an improvement in some aspects of our play but this constant dropping deep and lack of movement from many is still evident.

The support from Oldham will be good tonight - around 1500 - hopefully that will inspire the players.

Time for the leaders on the pitch to stand up and show us what good looks like.

• Like 3

Suggested line up. 

Hudson
Ogle raglan monthe 
Caprice.             Kitching 
  Gardner Conlon lunstram 
            Khan 
           Fondop

i don’t see what people see in lundstram I find him a crab

Edited by BradKnowles1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Suggested line up. 

Hudson
Ogle raglan monthe 
  Gardner Conlon lunstram 
            Khan 
           Fondop

Lundstram is best when he gets the ball on the half turn and drives at the centre backs with the ball at his feet. He is better than any of the other centre mids at this for me. 

His issue is the pass / lack of shot when he does drive at the defence, it’s usually the wrong choice or he shits himself. 

Playing deep, I just don’t think he is good or confident enough to play that role. 

I am not a Hammond fan, but I’d rather Gardner deep and Hammon providing the legs further forward. Especially with Charsley being injured. 

Saying that if Norwood is fit I’d have Fondop and Norwood up top together with Dolan in behind. 

7 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Suggested line up. 

Hudson
Ogle raglan monthe 
  Gardner Conlon lunstram 
            Khan 
           Fondop

He could probably do half the job Charsley does further up the pitch as in the pressing but doesn't have a goal in him, I think Mellon has grown tired of Hobson's distribution and so we could see Ogle move in and Caprice introduced, I'd expect them two to combine quite well down the right.

Other worry for me tonight is the potato field for a pitch, would you want to risk Gardner?.

I think that will be the eleven though.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He could probably do half the job Charsley does further up the pitch as in the pressing but doesn't have a goal in him, I think Mellon has grown tired of Hobson's distribution and so we could see Ogle move in and Caprice introduced, I'd expect them two to combine quite well down the right.

Other worry for me tonight is the potato field for a pitch, would you want to risk Gardner?.

I think that will be the eleven though.

Other than Fondop and potentially Gardner. Who is scoring in that team ?

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Don’t tell me the pitch is coming under question already?

I've seen snippets that it wasn't in the best condition after the recent rugby match was played on it coupled with the rain, at least we'll get them out of the way - hopefully.

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It's a worry particularly as Lundstrum and Conlon refuse to shoot, Jez and Hammond show little composure.

Gardner I'd expect to chip in, Khan knows where the net is but other than that it's a worry, I guess that's why the clean sheet is so important to us this season given the majority of the time games will be decided by the odd goal.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

It's a worry particularly as Lundstrum and Conlon refuse to shoot, Jez and Hammond show little composure.

Gardner I'd expect to chip in, Khan knows where the net is but other than that it's a worry, I guess that's why the clean sheet is so important to us this season given the majority of the time games will be decided by the odd goal.

Has Hammond ever scored a professional goal ?

We need a wide player or 10 that can chip in consistently, until then we will continue to have this issue. 

So so frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We need a wide player or 10 that can chip in consistently, until then we will continue to have this issue. 

So so frustrating. 

Sinclair, Kanu, Allarakhia were all available yet we somehow ended up with the speedboat without a rudder.

54 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Suggested line up. 

Hudson
Ogle raglan monthe 
  Gardner Conlon lunstram 
            Khan 
           Fondop

He's a bit of a hermit

Someone needs to have a word in his shell-like.

Hudson

Monthe

Raglan

Ogle

Kitching

Gardner

Conlon

Caprice

Khan

Dolan

Norwood

Subs: Moloney, Hobson, Lundstram, Kay, Hammond, Sutton, Uchegbulam, Fondop

That's my pick. I like Ogle at RCB as he can add a more effective overlap than Hobson. And it gives us better flexibility to change formation. As Kitching is more defensive than Uchegbulam, I'd go with Khan and Dolan as an attacking pair behind the striker. I've assumed Charsley is out and Norwood will recover from the impact knock.

Edited by nzlatic
Hammond on intl duty

10 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

His Mrs isn't called Michelle.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

52 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I was talking to his Mrs, Michelle - she reckons he should be more shellfish in front of goal.

For all the problems we've had at our club at least we never had Owen Oyster involved 

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 2

Hammond is still away on international duty. 

A strong start is key tonight. 

I have faith that were doing alright, and the results will come as long as we show good character and don't wilt away.

About time we beat these, enjoy the game folks.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Tonight is a must win game for me - it’s getting very frustrating watching the team still displaying the same faults as last season. 

Yes, there has been an improvement in some aspects of our play but this constant dropping deep and lack of movement from many is still evident.

The support from Oldham will be good tonight - around 1500 - hopefully that will inspire the players.

Time for the leaders on the pitch to stand up and show us what good looks like.

Spot on. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I made a similar point in another thread. You want a team / squad where it’s no huge surprise if someone pops up with a goal. For all their faults, Green & Sheron chipped in with a decent amount. Even Shelton bagged a couple in a similar amount of games to what Conlon & Lundstrum have played. 

I think a fit Josh Kay could be a player that gets a few. Possibly Jes, but he seems a downgrade on Green at the moment. Gardner is usually good for 3-5 a season. Monthe has hit the ground running but historically he doesn’t bag many. Other than that, all the pressure is on the strikers.

The likes of Raglan, Hobson, Conlon, Lundstrum are all considered big players for us, and I’d love to see them open their goal scoring accounts. It’d give the squad & fans belief (and make the opposition wary that we have threats in all areas)

Players like Richard Jobson, Tarky, Gregan, Dean Furman, James Wesolowski, Nick Henry, Milligan all used to get a goal from time to time. It’s healthy, for the confidence within the team, to expect that a goal could come from anywhere. 

Massive improvements needed in this area. It’d be fantastic if we can spread the goals around, it was great to see Charlsley and Monthe bag a couple early on in their Oldham careers, hope it rubs off on others.

Edited by Sloshed Joe
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

So so frustrating. 

With the formation we are currently playing with 1 up and 2 number 10s then you really need those 2 number 10s to be contributing 25+ goals a season between them and even then you need your man up the middle to be getting 20 too certainly if you want promotion. Now not many number 10s can get 20 unless you sign a Nick Haughton or a Chris Conn Clarke or even a player like Connor Macleney who scored 20 for us effectively playing between the lines (I bet hed bag regularly playing in this team) 

While it is frustrating we mustn't lose sight of what we are doing right. The first hour wasnt good enough, but in the last 30 when we started really using the width effectively we were considerably better. It's going to be interesting to see how Kahn or Dolan do if they get a run in the side I didn't really see much from either Saturday to suggest that they are the final piece in the jigsaw but will reserve judgement.

Tonight would be good time to get a win we need to get over our Halifax hoodoo at some point. I'm hoping after Saturday big Mike can get some confidence and go on one of his scoring runs that he does at some stage in the season.

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Hope you are right about Khan but he's never scored more than 6 league goals in a season and that was 7 years ago. Hopefully he chips in with a few but i seem him providing more.

1 hour ago, Sloshed Joe said:

The likes of Raglan, Hobson, Conlon, Lundstrum are all considered big players for us

Are you sloshed Joe?!

If Lundstram is considered one of our big players then we really are doomed already. Don't even see him as league 5 standard tbh.