MATCH: Halifax Town (A) 10/09/24

8 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

And tonight it looked like a 5-4-1 (nothing against Caprice and Kitching who didn't disgrace themselves, but they are naturally closer to full-backs than they are wingers) which is not the way teams who get out of this division play.

8 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Mellon needs to act very decisively now or he will lose much credibility. Strip Conlon of the captaincy and hand it to Monthe, tell Lundstram his BP career is finished, find a new keeper and play 2 up top. After a bright opening 2 or 3 games we have regressed and the support will dwindle rapidly.

I’ve got the answer… let’s go back to 4-4-2 🥺

Another rut like Back end of last season, looks like another manager unable/unwilling to change. He sets up not to lose and to grab one goal but we’ve all seen at this level someone has a mistake in them. Recently it’s our keeper. Defending and being solid doesn’t look to be achievable at this level. Set up to score goals, that’s what notts, Wrexham, Stockport and chesterfield

did. then we will see teams come to us with one up top and what’s happening to us will happen to them, they will have a mistake in them and concede. Fondop won’t score many, we all know that, why Reid isn’t starting or they get Dolan instead of another forward is baffling when Norwood is struggling for fitness. Playing one up top just has to change now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Rumour going round the stand last night Garner was kicked out the squad for going for a fag whilst a team meeting was taking place 

If that's true, it's ridiculous on both counts. Does seem something was wrong though as the club put out a picture with his shirt hung up in the dressing room prior to naming the team.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I agree that it's his own making. A keeper with hands should have been signed in the summer. However, things can look a whole lot different in 2 weeks time after the Woking, Yeovil and FGR games...

Used up all his transfer tokens is my guess and how's he going to mastermind a win against 3 sides going better than us, using the very same methods?

His backs against the wall now but that's clearly obvious 

7 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Used up all his transfer tokens is my guess and how's he going to mastermind a win against 3 sides going better than us, using the very same methods?

His backs against the wall now but that's clearly obvious 

Well, he'll have known what the budget was before the last few arrivals. 

Said it before the game and I'm not changing my mind. He looks like he regrets coming out of 'retirement', doesn't want to be here and is looking for a way out 

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Well, he'll have known what the budget was before the last few arrivals. 

Said it before the game and I'm not changing my mind. He looks like he regrets coming out of 'retirement', doesn't want to be here and is looking for a way out 

Well he better make his mind up one way or the other before it's too late to salvage our season, we can't just fizzle out again after all the backing that's been so freely given.

2 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Well he better make his mind up one way or the other before it's too late to salvage our season, we can't just fizzle out again after all the backing that's been so freely given.

We're already fizzling along at 0.8ppg over the last 6, after a bright start if that haul continues we'll hopefully be safe by about Easter.

Can't wait for Saturday 'Woking is a tough place to go'......

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We're already fizzling along at 0.8ppg over the last 6, after a bright start if that haul continues we'll hopefully be safe by about Easter.

Can't wait for Saturday 'Woking is a tough place to go'......

I bet Mellon's absolutely dreading it and will try again for another draw, that's if we can hang on

I thought Waters led the line superbly last night, worked tirelessly, found pockets of space, made himself available, linked up well with the midfield who in turn got up the field in numbers.

Surely we should be in for players in that mould who'd make us better and if he's within Halifax budget he most certainly should be within ours.

I found Royles chat pre match Southend interesting, apparently Mellon is working with an increased budget this season, it's difficult to see where we are getting the benefit of that because most of our players barring I'd say Monthe and Charsley look run of the mill NL players.

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

Another rut like Back end of last season, looks like another manager unable/unwilling to change. He sets up not to lose and to grab one goal but we’ve all seen at this level someone has a mistake in them. Recently it’s our keeper. Defending and being solid doesn’t look to be achievable at this level. Set up to score goals, that’s what notts, Wrexham, Stockport and chesterfield

did. then we will see teams come to us with one up top and what’s happening to us will happen to them, they will have a mistake in them and concede. Fondop won’t score many, we all know that, why Reid isn’t starting or they get Dolan instead of another forward is baffling when Norwood is struggling for fitness. Playing one up top just has to change now. 

Agreed. 

It’s morphed into must not lose. 

Again. 

9 hours ago, oafcmb said:

Needs to be sacked off that interview alone. People backing him because he got Tranmere promoted like 8 years ago. Awful manager 

Agree with him that the refs were awful but they didn't in any way contribute to the way we played and how our midfield couldn't pass 5 yards or move.

Haven't listened to his interview yet, losing more grace with me if he's happy with that last night.  On course for what, another mediocre season and 10 place.

I understand he can't be Marc White , but Jesus Christ, it was a totally inept performance and very disappointing.

Not sure where to begin. Lets start with Hudson, pulls off world class saves and lets in some soft goals usually via mistakes. I have forgiven him for the wayward distribution because of the importance of his saves. Has he been studying the Magnus pre season video and picked up some terrible habits. He has been poor for the last few games in his positioning and handling. 

First two games Conlon was superb alongside Gardner in the defensive half of the pitch, the last few alongside Lundstram he has been shocking. Is it him or is he worried Lundtram will hide and covers for him. Charsley and Hammond ran and pressed like men possessed and the former chipping in with a goal or three. There were strings of play from Halifax last night  (watched on NLTV)  where the middle of the feild was empty of anyone in a white shirt, three or four times. They waltzed out of their own half with no challenge whatsoever. I really wanted Josh Lundstram to become the player he was at Altricham, he isnt going to, not here.  Dan Gardner should never have seen a minute of the second half, he was atrocious and misplaced pass after pass. Dolan was ok ... but has fluffed his chances in front of goal. 

I was ok with Fondop coming back, he does give us options that other strikers dont, even he doesnt know what he is going to do next. As a starter and lone striker though he is as misscast as Steptoe as James Bond. I cant knock his effort or his attitude but he isnt a lone striker and never ever will be. 

If Khan was hoping to ressurect his stalling career here, he has set himself up to fail within 30 seconds. I agree that it was not a foul and we were in a good position .... (liner who gave us nowt) but he earned that red !!!!!

The rest were either ok and did their jobs, apart from Monthe and Ogle who were outstanding. 

• Like 3

Thought we played well second half.

Only one team looking to dominate and win it at the end. Those long throw's caused havoc. Just needed the ball to fall nicer. 

Been in the better side in nearly all games this season. Results will come. 

Those saying Micky wants to draw games, watch the last 10 minutes when we had ten men. 

23 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Thought we played well second half.

Only one team looking to dominate and win it at the end. Those long throw's caused havoc. Just needed the ball to fall nicer. 

Been in the better side in nearly all games this season. Results will come. 

Those saying Micky wants to draw games, watch the last 10 minutes when we had ten men. 

Agree with most of that. First half was dire - probably the worst of the season so far aside from the second half against Aldershot. But second half we were much more on the front foot and we’d have won if it it weren’t for brain farts from Hudson, Kahn and Fondop.

The real frustration is why we always come out playing ponderous rubbish to start with. Would love to see us come out on the front foot and take charge of a game but we never seem to do it.

• Like 1