MATCH: Halifax Town (A) 10/09/24

It's becoming obvious that MM hasn't settled on his best midfield yet. Another slow start and another match where we finished in the ascendancy.

Gardner's performance as bipolar as you can get. Couldn't find a white shirt all first half, and looked a threat in the second. Conlon for the last 30 was excellent. It's bemusing how he can't play as tenacious from the off.

Khan (who possibly had a point) needs fining for petulance when everyone with a brain could see it was a fussy ref who was quick to stamp down on dissent. To be booked for a second time, 60 seconds after receiving a yellow for the same thing is brainless. Ironic since he was on to prevent Dolan from seeing red.

Going to ten men somehow galvanised us. Couldn't fault the effort, particularly from Ogle who I thought was MoM. I'd like to see their goal again. I think Hudson was impeded and fouled by them, however his save at the end redeemed himself.

Fucks sake it's frustrating.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Five 1-1's in six games is embarrassing and they sandwich a 4-1 defeat at Aldershot, only Ebbsfleet and Fylde have failed to win any of their last five, remember that good point against Fylde the so called tough team who'll cause others plenty of problems, they've picked up 1 point in 12 since. 

I'm fearful for us now, we are powderpuff up top and have a keeper whose weak as piss and needs a rest, it's not a great combination. 

A long fall from grace since being Champions-elect after winning a couple of pre-season games. This keeper has let soft goals in time and time again. Get a new one in...

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's becoming obvious that MM hasn't settled on his best midfield yet. Another slow start and another match where we finished in the ascendancy.

Gardner's performance as bipolar as you can get. Couldn't find a white shirt all first half, and looked a threat in the second. Conlon for the last 30 was excellent. It's bemusing how he can't play as tenacious from the off.

Khan (who possibly had a point) needs fining for petulance when everyone with a brain could see it was a fussy ref who was quick to stamp down on dissent. To be booked for a second time, 60 seconds after receiving a yellow for the same thing is brainless. Ironic since he was on to prevent Dolan from seeing red.

Going to ten men somehow galvanised us. Couldn't fault the effort, particularly from Ogle who I thought was MoM. I'd like to see their goal again. I think Hudson was impeded and fouled by them, however his save at the end redeemed himself.

Fucks sake it's frustrating.

Their goal is on twitter. He's weak as piss...

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Their goal is on twitter. He's weak as piss...

Is wild interested? Personally think it’s career suicide, unless he takes us up. If he flops, that’s his league chances down the pan. He’s still hot property in the leagues above.

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Who would you rather be on the end of an opportunity then? 

Create for Norwood and he will score. Fondop is absolutely fine to bring on as a sub, in fact, he could have had an impact coming off the bench tonight. But as a starter, he is rubbish. 

I can only comment on what I've seen since starting to watch Latics again in January. Norwood has been poor; I was expecting someone who would be head and shoulders above (i.e from what I had read) and he certainly hasn't been. 

Personally, I'd have sold him if he's in such demand and gone for a young, powerful forward and a decent midfielder.

6 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Just seen it. Yeah, it's poor. I was right behind the save at the end though and many wouldn't have stopped that.

He'd thrown the game away before then though so anything he does after is mute, he's making some absolute schoolboy errors and I'd be getting a keeper in on loan tomorrow because you can't carry that incompetence, same at the other end Fondop was embarrassing leading that line tonight, he killed us time after time.

In other news, Oldham bench were kicking off with officials today as Halifax made 4 subs at separate stoppages today. They thought 5 subs were allowed but had to be in 3 stoppages.

Ironic thing is Altrincham did the same the other week and they seemingly didn't pick up on it. 

They'd have known the new laws if anyone from the management team had attended the NL managers meeting in pre-season...

2 hours ago, EeeByGum said:

When down to 10 men . . much the better side, more effort, determination, skill, application etc.

Makes me think that if we’d played like this (10)but with an extra man (11)we’d have won 0-6

Much better after Lundstram went off, he's had enough chances now and we need better. Conlon could be next if he doesn't show more. 

Ufortunately, we have few options in central midfield. 

• Like 1

Mellon’s interview is out. He’s happy. We battled well. We’re on track. We’ve played some of the best teams in the last 5 games. Hudson error but he’s got credit in the bank and is a quality keeper. Officials were shocking. Stick with us.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

You can't legislate for a keeper whose playing with no hands, weak as piss and he's killing this team, he's been directly at fault for about the last five we've conceded or played a huge part.

Special mentions for Khan who should know better, Gardner who failed to find a white shirt the whole night long, Lundstrum doing his impression of the Tinman in The Wizard of Oz and Conlon whose our very own Captain Incapable, Fondop for just being brainless and unable to stay onside through any promising attack, so fucking limited and basic.

On the plus side I thought Monthe and Ogle were outstanding and deserved better.

Mellon must be on thin ice as this is just painful now.

The only 2 I'd keep. 

4 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Mellon’s interview is out. He’s happy. We battled well. We’re on track. We’ve played some of the best teams in the last 5 games. Hudson error but he’s got credit in the bank and is a quality keeper. Officials were shocking. Stick with us.

Needs to be sacked off that interview alone. People backing him because he got Tranmere promoted like 8 years ago. Awful manager 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stargazer said:

The keeper has not had a good last 4 games............ A tenner on 1-1 against Gateshead and the winnings played up would  be  a tasty pile.

He looks to have lost confidence and sharpness. 

Has he got a new goalkeeping coach? 

How can he happy…….if he thinks Oldham fans are happy with our points total, having played 5 of the current bottom 9 and only 1 of the current top 9 then he’s delusional.

We are not playing anything like a playoff side never mind a side going for promotion which is apparently our target.

I really hope he gets us there but after witnessing the last 6 games I’ll be absolutely amazed if he does!

• Like 1

Honestly I'm bewildered by that interview, does he think we are all buttoned up backwards, he can try and kid us that we've played a decent team but they were awful as were Altrincham, Fylde, Southend... we've actually only faced one of the top nine and were battered off the team in tenth

I know he's trying to blame every fucker but himself but we didn't draw today because of the ref we lost points because we played the first half like a friendly, applied some pressure straight after half time which unbelievably yielded instant reward (who'd have thought eh) but then slipped back in to cruise control and took our foot off the pedal, it's not fucking good enough carrying players who appear undroppable, he digs out Fondop then tells us Hudsons got plenty in the bank - really? What's he been watching the last three weeks because the lads chucking one in his own net each game and making clean sheets impossible, his distribution has gone to pot as well and we don't even have an alternative, piss poor management. 

It's hard to see a way back for him here, he's actually happy we've not been beat and picked up a point as it preserves our unbeaten record, he's learnt absolutely fuck all from last season and seems content for us to draw our way to safety, he can say what he wants post match but I'll tell you he sets teams up not to get beat and sees that as some achievement. Pathetic outlook.

I'm also pissed off with him constantly bigging these teams up, he's set out the narrative five games ago, go watch his interviews where he maps out that we've got five difficult games coming up, that's before he even knows what these teams have to offer - he's planting the seed in the players head, I really don't give a fuck if Altrincham or Halifax were playoff teams last season, they won't be this so he's just talking bollocks and lowering expectations.

After watching that tonight I think we are miles away from the likes of York, Rochdale, Forest Green and that the most depressing aspect, crowds are also now likely to drop off a cliff given we can't buy a win or even put in a solid 90 minute performance. We are near on 1/5 of a way in to this new season and we are still miles off it, potentially 10 points off top, 6 points behind Rochdale and are likely to be embarrassed at Spotland if we approach that game the way we have recently.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Clearly Khan has a family wedding to go to on Saturday. Call themselves professional.Joke. Wouldn't pay him this week.

It's Franks favourite player. Not sure Mellon even had any say in signing him.

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Honestly I'm bewildered by that interview, does he think we are all buttoned up backwards, he can try and kid us that we've played a decent team but they were awful as were Altrincham, Fylde, Southend... we've actually only faced one of the top nine and were battered off the team in tenth

I know he's trying to blame every fucker but himself but we didn't draw today because of the ref we lost points because we played the first half like a friendly, applied some pressure straight after half time which unbelievably yielded instant reward (who'd have thought eh) but then slipped back in to cruise control and took our foot off the pedal, it's not fucking good enough carrying players who appear undroppable, he digs out Fondop then tells us Hudsons got plenty in the bank - really? What's he been watching the last three weeks because the lads chucking one in his own net each game and making clean sheets impossible, his distribution has gone to pot as well and we don't even have an alternative, piss poor management. 

It's hard to see a way back for him here, he's actually happy we've not been beat and picked up a point as it preserves our unbeaten record, he's learnt absolutely fuck all from last season and seems content for us to draw our way to safety, he can say what he wants post match but I'll tell you he sets teams up not to get beat and sees that as some achievement. Pathetic outlook.

I'm also pissed off with him constantly bigging these teams up, he's set out the narrative five games ago, go watch his interviews where he maps out that we've got five difficult games coming up, that's before he even knows what these teams have to offer - he's planting the seed in the players head, I really don't give a fuck if Altrincham or Halifax were playoff teams last season, they won't be this so he's just talking bollocks and lowering expectations.

After watching that tonight I think we are miles away from the likes of York, Rochdale, Forest Green and that the most depressing aspect, crowds are also now likely to drop off a cliff given we can't buy a win or even put in a solid 90 minute performance. We are near on 1/5 of a way in to this new season and we are still miles off it, potentially 10 points off top, 6 points behind Rochdale and are likely to be embarrassed at Spotland if we approach that game the way we have recently.

The way back for him is simple and it's to start winning games...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Trouble is, the situation of his own creation is making that more and more unlikely. 

It's becoming painful to see it unfold

I agree that it's his own making. A keeper with hands should have been signed in the summer. However, things can look a whole lot different in 2 weeks time after the Woking, Yeovil and FGR games...