MATCH: Halifax Town (A) 10/09/24

What is really frustrating is a midfield player will give it to Caprice and he has to beat 2 or 3 players to get the ball in the box. Not a single midfield player then offers an option, it’s pathetic. They don’t even make a run, just stand around watching him try and beat the men. 

Once again we can say there's little pattern to our play,  YET we missed the best chance again. 

If this match is true to form,  then 2nd half we will be much better.  As we never play a good 90. Is Dolan injured or just mighty unfit?. Lundstrum is pretty much Lundstrum. Conlon missing. Gardner shocking. There's your engine room.

Edited by Lags

Why are we being over ran in midfield again? We are supposed to have an extra man in there. It’s beyond a joke how yet again we still have a shit midfield. We’ve been saying it for years now. 

Dolans done well, on the flip side Gardners been Halifax best player.

How it possible for a six man midfield to be unpicked with such ease, fuck all movement as opposed to Halifax who are finding the pockets and showing for each other, why couldn't we pick someone up like Waters whose going to trouble the back line all night.

Let's hope it's a second half type of performance day.

Oh and I'm watching it at home with decent pictures and Fondop should be burying that header 99/100.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Gardner our best midfielder again, worrying. 

He's been poor, but not as poor as Conlon, Lundstram and Dolan. 

It's back to Mellonball again. 

Edited by BP1960

Just now, LightDN123 said:

It was a point blank header, he should be scoring. He didn’t start Saturday, thankfully. 

He managed to get over the ball and head it down.  The keeper saved well.  What was he supposed to do?

• Like 2

Sounded like booing in the away end at the sound of the half-time whistle.

Came out and looked sharp, but after ten minutes most of the midfield went on strike and there must have been a dozen occasions when Halifax found a player in the middle with unbelievable ease. Not to single him out, but Gardner is all over the shop.

And yet, we look comfortable enough at the back. It's almost as if we have a mentality where we need to go a goal down before stepping up. 

A good shape and solid at the back are hallmarks of a Mellon side, yet we looked utterly spineless for most of that there. He needs to give them a proper nudge now.

3 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Players or manager? Who’s to blame for our limitations 

I think the manager's limited tactics are being passed on to a bunch of very limited players 

It's a car crash scenario and we're shocking beyond words

Revert to type- hoof ball. Pass couple a times accros back line then smack it to nobody.  No one in midfield showing for a pass and when Conlon does he knocks it backwards anyway.

Few passes strung together and we created a chance. 

Halifax sitting so deep we should be able to pass through midfield, which is completely non existent.    There's so much space for someone to put their foot on the ball and pick a pass, what's Conlon supposed to be doing?

Very poor half.

Edited by deckyd

Just now, BP1960 said:

He's been poor, but notas poor as Conlon, Lundstram and Dolan. 

It's back to Mellon all again. 

Yeah he’s not been great, but at least we know he has a pass or assist in his locker. They others are just infuriating. 

Sounded like booing in the away end at the sound of the half-time whistle.

Came out and looked sharp, but after ten minutes most of the midfield went on strike and there must have been a dozen occasions when Halifax found a player in the middle with unbelievable ease. 

And yet, we look comfortable enough at the back. It's almost as if we have a mentality where we need to go a goal down before stepping up. 

A good shape and solid at the back are hallmarks of a Mellon side, yet we looked utterly spineless for most of that there. He needs to give them a proper nudge now.

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

He managed to get over the ball and head it down.  The keeper saved well.  What was he supposed to do?

How many times are we going to give the keeper credit ? Eventually your striker has to score. It’s not his fault but the pressure is on him to score, no one else will. 

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Dolans done well, on the flip side Gardners been Halifax best player.

How it possible for a six man midfield to be unpicked with such ease, fuck all movement as opposed to Halifax who are finding the pockets and showing for each other, why couldn't we pick someone up like Waters whose going to trouble the back line all night.

Let's hope it's a second half type of performance day.

Oh and I'm watching it at home with decent pictures and Fondop should be burying that header 99/100.

Aye, Gardner has been all over the shop. 

3 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Are you sloshed Joe?!

If Lundstram is considered one of our big players then we really are doomed already. Don't even see him as league 5 standard tbh.

He’s not delivered in the slightest. But he was considered a key signing. We scouted him for a while and he is who our recruitment team thought to be a missing piece of the puzzle. He’s lacked goals, assists & bite in the middle. I’m just as disappointed in our recruitment team as I am in some of these signings. But then they often leave and do well elsewhere, so I’m also disappointed in our coaching team!!

Well that's a half of pretty inept football. One of the reasons I don't like us starting fondop is it becomes too easy for the CBS to just hoof it at him. We're not set up for that. There's so much space on offer, we're just not brave enough to play into it. If I was Mellon I'd be going mad at them, if they mess up trying to play out then so be it, but to not try when that's specifically how we're set up is criminal. And it makes him look like a mug, because everyone is stood here asking "is this the fucking plan". It's not been helped by some garbage performances, shout out to Danny G for looking like a lottery winner. But now I think is an important moment for me, what I want to see is more movement, more breaking the lines and a hell of a lot less hoofing it in the rough vicinity of an offside fondop. If we lose trying to play then so be it, but another half of that and serious questions need to be asked about the direction of travel with this team, because they looked lost in that first half....

• Like 1