MATCH: Woking (A) 14/09/24

10 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

, I think it was @yarddog73 that described the pair earlier in the season as the duracell bunnies

🙋‍♂️

On 8/18/2024 at 9:26 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The Duracell bunnies in Charsley and Hammond are a breath of fresh air

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
Added quote
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

The give away was seeing him walking away not celebrating he only does that if he scores :)

He did point to his name on his back which I thought was a tad extravagant, he'll be kissing the badge next.

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

also without Norwood's clever nudge then their final defender gets his head on the ball. Roy's a bit of a weapon, but provided nobody ever pays him any attention and never listens to him then he is a great servent and a total credit to the club.

"Clever nudge" is one way of describing it, I suppose.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

also without Norwood's clever nudge then their final defender gets his head on the ball. Roy's a bit of a weapon, but provided nobody ever pays him any attention and never listens to him then he is a great servent and a total credit to the club.

Wow, that couldn't sum up Roy any better!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Great comment that, it made me chuckle 👍. His heart's in the right place, just needs to work on the commentary! 

Edited by Worcester Owl

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

That's all it takes really.

Lee Hughes was excellent at the subtle nudge with his hip rather than a full on two handed push.

Yeah you'd think it would be something to be applauded. 🤷‍♂️

The best nudge takes so little energy and is hardly ever noticed other than by the player nudged. If it's a cross/corner and just as the player sets his feet to jump the slightest nudge off balances the player and he can't then get off the ground. The hold off to win a sprint without seeming to commit the foul, or the straight arm meaning the oppo can't reach the ball in your possession, it's all the dark arts. It certainly a skill and the knowledge of when to use it which all the best players have.

31 minutes ago, Lags said:

The best nudge takes so little energy and is hardly ever noticed other than by the player nudged. If it's a cross/corner and just as the player sets his feet to jump the slightest nudge off balances the player and he can't then get off the ground. The hold off to win a sprint without seeming to commit the foul, or the straight arm meaning the oppo can't reach the ball in your possession, it's all the dark arts. It certainly a skill and the knowledge of when to use it which all the best players have.

Norwood's won plenty of free kicks and penalties by having the skill to sort of second guess defenders, unless you watch him closely you wouldn't see it a lot of the time but it's a skill you can't teach - football intelligence and it's probably part of the reason he'd prefer someone on the same level up front with him as opposed to Fondop.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Norwood's won plenty of free kicks and penalties by having the skill to sort of second guess defenders, unless you watch him closely you wouldn't see it a lot of the time but it's a skill you can't teach - football intelligence and it's probably part of the reason he'd prefer someone on the same level up front with him as opposed to Fondop.

Agreed it's just instinct as natural as kicking the ball for these players.

2 hours ago, Lags said:

Former Latics Goalkeeper Peter McDonnell was an expert at the high knee nudge at the body of attackers. They never challenged him after which is a why he took crosses with ease, particularly if in the nether regions. This teqnique isn't in the FIFA coaching manual though. 😄

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Norwood showed this last season chasing a through ball, nudging the defender off balance leaving him a one on one where he rounded the goalie and scored into an empty net on a televised away game.

• Like 1

So it was 442 after all. 

Snippet from the Oldham Times. 

'Latics switched to a 4-4-2 at the break, with James Norwood replacing Dan Gardner after the midfielder had suffered a knock in a poor challenge late in the first half'. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

So it was 442 after all. 

'Latics switched to a 4-4-2 at the break, with James Norwood replacing Dan Gardner after the midfielder had suffered a knock in a poor challenge late in the first half'. 

Just because we put Norwood on for Gardner doesn't mean it was a 4-4-2, it still looked like a three at the back for a start. Looked more like a 3-5-2 to me. 

26 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Just because we put Norwood on for Gardner doesn't mean it was a 4-4-2, it still looked like a three at the back for a start. Looked more like a 3-5-2 to me. 

Could have morphed into either I suppose. 

50 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I was sat quite high up and looked a couple of times just to see if we changed formation much and I don't recall seeing us with anything other than 3 at the back. I don't really remember seeing any of Conlon, Hammond or Lundstram out wide as a starting position or either Caprice or Kitching playing further back. I think more 352 as well but it was pretty fluid. Which worked well as there was good link up play with the forwards and midfield. Which is the key to any formation really. There's nothing wrong with 1 up front as long as the forward is supported and when they come out of the middle, there are plenty of others getting in the box - like with the first goal.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

So it was 442 after all. 

Nowhere near a 4-4-2. Norwood played behind Fondop. I thought it was the same with less pressing from Norwood 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Nowhere near a 4-4-2. Norwood played behind Fondop. I thought it was the same with less pressing from Norwood 

Yes I agree Norwood in a fluid No 10 role which I think suits him.

Also thought Norwood and Garner linked up well when they played in a two.

39 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

It appears that not everything on the internet is true. Who knew...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes I agree Norwood in a fluid No 10 role which I think suits him.

Norwood Garner and Hammond looked mint together during the brief time they where all on the pitch. 

Garner could be a key player for us this season if used correctly (and he stays fit obv). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Both clever and skilful footballers, could have helped themselves to at least a goal apiece with better finishing, but considering where that are fitness wise, it was a very encouraging cameo.