MATCH: Woking (A) 14/09/24

53 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Really good professional performance yesterday. MOM for me was Josh Lundstram who was everywhere. Really pleased for him to get a goal and he grew in confidence. Put a great corner over in the 2nd half that Raglan should have buried. 

Also really pleased that Fondop scored. Again we missed some really good chances we ought to be taking, Norwood especially with the one on one. Thought Garner looked good when he came on and with him back we have some good options for either 1 up front or 2. 

I thought Gardner’s injury was caused by that high tackle rather than him breaking down so hopefully not serious but wasn’t easy to see from where I was sat. 

And a personal bonus, my kids agreed to come with me, actually watched the game for a change and really enjoyed it! There’s hope yet…

My man of the match too. All action display, far better in the front two of the box midfield than further back, well taken goal, can we finally say he seems to be growing in confidence?

20 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Thought we were by far the better team. Hammond doesn’t do much on the ball but gives us great energy off the ball. He’s started in all three wins so hopefully keeps his place.

I couldn’t find a weakness in our performance yesterday. We need to now back it up with a home win next Saturday 

Couldn't agree more about Hammond. If Charsley's out, we definitely need to start Hammond, I think it was @yarddog73 that described the pair earlier in the season as the duracell bunnies, you need that energy and work rate off the ball. Hammond a bit of a poor man's Charsley at this stage in his career but enough there to predict his ceiling is far higher than NL.

As I was watching the game I found it odd that we were so comfortable when the previous season we had put in a bravura performance and clung on to a 1-0.

I initially put it down to a poor Woking performance but I think we deserve credit for not allowing Woking to play. We work so hard off the ball out of possession now. The clip of our first goal demonstrates this, pressing and harrying the opposition until we win the ball back.

When we win the ball back there is a pleasing passing progression down the right hand side involving Monthe, Hammond, Kitching and Fondop, culminating in Kitching's accurate cross and Lundstram's deft headed goal.

What I didn't really notice live was Olly Hammond's heads up awareness before receiving the ball that told him Kitch was in space, augurs well.

Mellon, for me, has arrived at the right player in the LWB position. Kitching is a better defender than Jes and his more direct running, passing and crossing probably suits us better.

A very good, solid all round team performance. Woking looked a poor team, but did we make them look poor? They're only one point worse off than us. 

Just a note on the ground. Almost devoid of atmosphere despite the best efforts of the travelling Latics, hard to believe there were over 2,000 in there.

4 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I initially put it down to a poor Woking performance but I think we deserve credit for not allowing Woking to play. We work so hard off the ball out of possession now. The clip of our first goal demonstrates this, pressing and harrying the opposition until we win the ball back.

Good shout this. Saw a few comments about Woking being bad but right from the off we pressed high and didn't give them any time or space.

4 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Mellon, for me, has arrived at the right player in the LWB position. Kitching is a better defender than Jes and his more direct running, passing and crossing probably suits us better.

I agree with this too, I meant to mention Kitch in my post. He had a really good game, best performance in ages for me - high up the pitch and played with high energy. He linked up well with Monthe, Conlon and other midfielders at times. Couple this with Ogle moving to RCB and Caprice coming into RWB which I think gives us better balance and better options going forward and I think the back 3 and wingbacks have cemented their positions now. 

59 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Thought we were by far the better team. Hammond doesn’t do much on the ball but gives us great energy off the ball. He’s started in all three wins so hopefully keeps his place.

I couldn’t find a weakness in our performance yesterday. We need to now back it up with a home win next Saturday 

Someone made the point about Hammond in the Halifax thread and I agreed then, the games I've seen him this season he's given us a real energy and press up the field, I think he should be starting until Charsley is back

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

FGR Tuesday and then Ebbsfleet who are bottom on Saturday. Win those two and we’re right in the mix!

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Couldn't agree more about Hammond. If Charsley's out, we definitely need to start Hammond, I think it was @yarddog73 that described the pair earlier in the season as the duracell bunnies, you need that energy and work rate off the ball. Hammond a bit of a poor man's Charsley at this stage in his career but enough there to predict his ceiling is far higher than NL.

Agreed. 

Hammond should rotate in and out with Gardener. 

It will help to keep blooding Hammond and give Gardener a rest. 

It’s also really important where people play in that midfield. 

Conlon and Gardener must play deeper. 

Lundy and Charsley must play high. 

If Hammond plays when Charsley and Lundy do, he must play deep with Conlon. Because Lundy is poor when played deeper, and we need Charsley for the high press and his industry. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agreed. 

Hammond should rotate in and out with Gardener. 

It will help to keep blooding Hammond and give Gardener a rest. 

It’s also really important where people play in that midfield. 

Conlon and Gardener must play deeper. 

Lundy and Charsley must play high. 

If Hammond plays when Charsley and Lundy do, he must play deep with Conlon. Because Lundy is poor when played deeper, and we need Charsley for the high press and his industry. 

GARDNER!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I thought with their goal that Hudson struggled to get off the ground a bit. And there were a couple of other times I thought the same (helping a header over the bar). He went down a couple of times though so I think he might have been hampered by a small injury of some sort rather than anything being his fault. 

Hudson made a crucial save with his feet in the second half and had a thoroughly decent game.

As for their goal… you are joking aren’t you?

We won yesterday due to the high press & our work rate. We’ve set the bar and we must play with the same intensity every week.

If we do that then we I’m sure we will win the vast majority of games in this division!

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Hudson made a crucial save with his feet in the second half and had a thoroughly decent game.

As for their goal… you are joking aren’t you?

Have you read what I said? I’m not blaming Hudson for not saving it, nor have I said he had a bad game. I’m just wondering whether he was hampered a little at points by some sort of injury as there were a few times he didn’t look as mobile as he normally is. 

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Have you read what I said? I’m not blaming Hudson for not saving it, nor have I said he had a bad game. I’m just wondering whether he was hampered a little at points by some sort of injury as there were a few times he didn’t look as mobile as he normally is. 

It's a fair point, maybe we've been spoilt by him  previously as that's normally his strength, I still expected him to tip it over, it was a terrific strike though and it didn't really matter in the end.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We won yesterday due to the high press & our work rate. We’ve set the bar and we must play with the same intensity every week.

If we do that then we I’m sure we will win the vast majority of games in this division!

Don't think there is a coincidence that there was a drop off in intensity and closing down off the ball without Hammond or Charsley in the team the last couple of games, that was a proper positive change earlier in the season that I was worried had stopped. Getting the balance right in that midfield is key, it didn't work at all against Southend and Halifax. Sounds like it did yesterday. 

Watching them highlights, we could and should have scored 6.

Think back to Braintree opening day - could have had a couple more.

Gateshead - could have had 4 in the second half alone.

I’d be worried if we were creating chances. But we are, and seemingly lots of them.

There’s a lot of pessimism on this board at the moment and I don’t think it’s entirely warranted.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

It's a fair point, maybe we've been spoilt by him  previously as that's normally his strength, I still expected him to tip it over, it was a terrific strike though and it didn't really matter in the end.

It was an immense strike from distance and unexpected - I’m not sure any keeper would have got near saving that!

• Like 1

Just seen the replay of the alleged OG, definitely put in by Norwood and should be credited as such.

Annoyingly Roy was gassing off in the press box telling everyone it was over the line before Norwood got the touch, well clearly not Roy, like he could see from the halfway line anyway, it wasn't clear at the time despite watching it back several times.

Good shout @Monty Burns.

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Just seen the replay of the alleged OG, definitely put in by Norwood and should be credited as such.

Annoyingly Roy was gassing off in the press box telling everyone it was over the line before Norwood got the touch, well clearly not Roy, like he could see from the halfway line anyway, it wasn't clear at the time despite watching it back several times.

Good shout @Monty Burns.

also without Norwood's clever nudge then their final defender gets his head on the ball. Roy's a bit of a weapon, but provided nobody ever pays him any attention and never listens to him then he is a great servent and a total credit to the club.

• Like 2