• Conlon
    • Fondop
    • Norwood
    • Uchegbulam
    • Garner

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Mmm. 

People will scoff at Mikey out scoring Nors this season. . .

But GN9 had a better MPG than JN last season. . .

Let’s see who wins the GPS award this season. 

LOL IIRC IDK WTF

DND

15 hours ago, League one forever said:

Mmm. 

People will scoff at Mikey out scoring Nors this season. . .

But GN9 had a better MPG than JN last season. . .

Let’s see who wins the GPS award this season. 

I say it only half in jest. I think Mike's unfairly maligned and when played has done all we can ask of him given the level we are at. He's not going to score goals when he has time on the ball, it's just not his skillset (we can debate if it should be - my point would be if it was he'd likely not play in the NL). But can we say hand on heart that many of our strikers during the last 20 years would? Maybe half a dozen of the hundreds we've had?

He'll do for me, especially when he's looking leaner, clearly cares more than anyone (I assume he's BP's favourite player?), is seemingly popular amongst the team, etc. etc.

We've bigger issue than Mike.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ackey said:

I say it only half in jest. I think Mike's unfairly maligned and when played has done all we can ask of him given the level we are at. He's not going to score goals when he has time on the ball, it's just not his skillset (we can debate if it should be - my point would be if it was he'd likely not play in the NL). But can we say hand on heart that many of our strikers during the last 20 years would? Maybe half a dozen of the hundreds we've had?

He'll do for me, especially when he's looking leaner, clearly cares more than anyone (I assume he's BP's favourite player?), is seemingly popular amongst the team, etc. etc.

It was only right that he was kept on and so it's proved

I myself think he'll out score Norwood this season but should that be the case?

1 hour ago, Ackey said:

Yep totally agree Ack. 

Mikey is always going to frustrate and elate in equal measure. 

You’re spot on about him not being very good with time on the ball, or as I would put it- when he has to think. 

He’s plays on instinct. 

Clean through against Alty, only the keeper to beat. Misses. 

High ball played into against Woking, he’s under pressure from the defender - brushes him off doesn’t lift his head - rifles into the bottom corner. 

He goal return was decent last season, and if he gets 10 - 15 this season it will be another good effort. They’ll come a time when we do need better, but I’ll always have a soft spot for him. 

• Like 3

Norwood a goal every 125 minutes since coming back which you'd expect him to improve on, (I'm assuming he'll be credited with the one he made and scored at Woking?).

Fondop is on a goal about every 196 minutes.

Going forward I'd suggest Fondop will be used as a bit part player, in the summer I was 50/50 on whether to keep him but now I'm of the opinion that we'd have been better twisting and bringing someone different in.

Great fist pumps and all that but I'll remember him for the ball forever bouncing off his shins in promising positions and the absolute sitters that have cost us.

I personally think his goal return  in a team with one striker is piss poor and that's before you want to start talking about his inability to link up with other players, bring others in to play and his football 'intelligence '.

I'm near on certain he will move down to third maybe fourth choice pretty soon and he will be lucky to bag the 10 - 15 that most on here seem to find acceptable from a lone striker in a team pushing for the title.

Once he's sat where he should be this team will take off, if we had replaced him and brought a Smith, Stones, Waters, Dalby.... in we'd probably be near on top now and not playing catch up.

Agree with the previous 3 posts. He does seem to snatch at chances and often tries to hit the ball too hard ( as do quite a few of our players ) instead of just passing the ball into the net.

His enthusiasm however makes up for his shortcomings and his ability to lift the crowd should not be underestimated. In an ideal world he's the perfect sub.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Norwood a goal every 125 minutes since coming back which you'd expect him to improve on, (I'm assuming he'll be credited with the one he made and scored at Woking?).

Fondop is on a goal about every 196 minutes.

Going forward I'd suggest Fondop will be used as a bit part player, in the summer I was 50/50 on whether to keep him but now I'm of the opinion that we'd have been better twisting and bringing someone different in.

Great fist pumps and all that but I'll remember him for the ball forever bouncing off his shins in promising positions and the absolute sitters that have cost us.

I personally think his goal return  in a team with one striker is piss poor and that's before you want to start talking about his inability to link up with other players, bring others in to play and his football 'intelligence '.

I'm near on certain he will move down to third maybe fourth choice pretty soon and he will be lucky to bag the 10 - 15 that most on here seem to find acceptable from a lone striker in a team pushing for the title.

Once he's sat where he should be this team will take off, if we had replaced him and brought a Smith, Stones, Waters, Dalby.... in we'd probably be near on top now and not playing catch up.

This is like debating Sheron. 

Why do we fixate on everything they can’t do, without balancing that with what they do well. 

We all know Mike’s limitations, we all know he has poor touch at times. We all know he is tactically unaware. But he also bullies people, his unique style is hard to defend against. He’s scored some cracking goals, and some important goals. He try’s, he cares,  (which should he given but we’ve have had a lot over paid players happy to go through the motions)    Most importantly MM knows all this, and that’s why he still offered him deal. 

In his time at the club he has played in some of the worst squads we’ve ever known, and scored goals. If he was a 25 a season man - he wouldn’t have signed for us in the first place. Simple as that. Nor has anyone said it’s acceptable to score 10-15 as the lone striker. That assumes he’ll play every game. He won’t. But just like last season when he scored 9 as a squad player 10 -15 this season as a squad player will be a very good return. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This is like debating Sheron. 

Why do we fixate on everything they can’t do, without balancing that with what they do well. 

We all know Mike’s limitations, we all know he has poor touch at times. We all know he is tactically unaware. But he also bullies people, his unique style is hard to defend against. He’s scored some cracking goals, and some important goals. He try’s, he cares,  (which should he given but we’ve have had a lot over paid players happy to go through the motions)    Most importantly MM knows all this, and that’s why he still offered him deal. 

In his time at the club he has played in some of the worst squads we’ve ever known, and scored goals. If he was a 25 a season man - he wouldn’t have signed for us in the first place. Simple as that. Nor has anyone said it’s acceptable to score 10-15 as the lone striker. That assumes he’ll play every game. He won’t. But just like last season when he scored 9 as a squad player 10 -15 this season as a squad player will be a very good return. 

It is very much like debating Sheron, likewise once he's been replaced this team will kick on again.

I don't mind him as an option from the bench or as an option in the Trophy games but if we are serious about going up he really isn't the answer because he's limited.

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It is very much like debating Sheron, likewise once he's been replaced this team will kick on again.

I don't mind him as an option from the bench or as an option in the Trophy games but if we are serious about going up he really isn't the answer because he's limited.

Yep, if/when we go up he’ll be let go. No question. But in this league at this time, he’s a good option. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Yep, if/when we go up he’ll be let go. No question. But in this league at this time, he’s a good option. 

He's been a bright light in a dark time. I've got more enjoyment out of watching him over the past three seasons than any of our other players. I don't doubt the limitations others point out, but I won't ignore the whole hearted commitment to the cause, the endeavour, the bravery (he gets clattered an awful lot and gets naff all from most referees), the goals and the joy he's brought to the team.      

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

He's been a bright light in a dark time. I've got more enjoyment out of watching him over the past three seasons than any of our other players. I don't doubt the limitations others point out, but I won't ignore the whole hearted commitment to the cause, the endeavour, the bravery (he gets clattered an awful lot and gets naff all from most referees), the goals and the joy he's brought to the team.      

This is exactly where I'm at too. I think it'd be really apt that the reward for his endeavours is a champions or promotion-winners medal and we both go our separate ways.

Love the lad to bits, but still want someone better than him to lead the line.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2024 at 7:02 AM, Ackey said:

👀

• Like 1