BPAS PODCAST: 16th Sept '24, S5E7: Reasons to be Cheerful

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

The essentials for a good away day are ground, pubs and railway station within a stone's throw of each other.  Yeovil ticks none of those boxes...

And good ones would be Crewe, Macclesfield, Halifax, I suppose the London grounds with a tube station nearby. Newcastle and Carlisle. 

Edited by disjointed

57 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's got the pubs but yes, for an away fan on public transport I've always thought it would be one of the less attractive fixtures..

It's OK for pubs I think back in the day when we had the old grey mare then their was atleast an away fan pub it will have been better.

If I look at getting to BP from Glossop and it's a train into the city centre a metro link out then quite a walk on the other side too it's possibly upto an hour and half compared to the likes of Stockport which I could do door to door in less than an hour or Bolton or Huddersfield which are probably easier to get to via train and will also have a few more pubs too. Hence I drive every week.

13 minutes ago, disjointed said:

And good ones would be Crewe, Macclesfield, Halifax, I suppose the London grounds with a tube station nearby. Newcastle and Carlisle. 

Peterborough, Bradford, Swindon, Nottingham (general) and Stockport are top scorers too.  Southend in this division is alright.

13 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's OK for pubs I think back in the day when we had the old grey mare then their was atleast an away fan pub it will have been better.

If I look at getting to BP from Glossop and it's a train into the city centre a metro link out then quite a walk on the other side too it's possibly upto an hour and half compared to the likes of Stockport which I could do door to door in less than an hour or Bolton or Huddersfield which are probably easier to get to via train and will also have a few more pubs too. Hence I drive every week.

2 hours door to door on public transport for me or a 50 minute drive.  Tend to get the bus from Manchester, but man that seems to take an eternity...

47 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Peterborough, Bradford, Swindon, Nottingham (general) and Stockport are top scorers too.  Southend in this division is alright.

2 hours door to door on public transport for me or a 50 minute drive.  Tend to get the bus from Manchester, but man that seems to take an eternity...

Forgot about Nottingham,, Sheffield United too. 

33 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We all obviously want promotion.

But what is acceptable this season? 

If he finishes 7th and we don’t go up, are people happy to let him see the final year of his contract to have another go. Or is it not a big enough improvement? 

Every season until we win promotion has to be full gas title challenge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Thought it was a 2-1 defeat near the end of the season. Reading keeper (might have been Hislop) went walkabout and Halle passed into an open goal from 40 yards. Cup game was earlier in that season...

Ritchie missed a pen and we were all but relegated?

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Personally- I think 7th is the minimum. 

He does that, he gets another year. 

That's very fair and immediately gets you off the Mellon out list some have got rolling around in their heads 😴

If we're challenging and have something to play for at the end of this campaign,  then, I'd see that as progress and a chance to go one better the season after should we fail this time out.

Mellon gets to see out his contract on that basis 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I can’t discuss it with you, because he could finish second and lose to a last minute goal at Wembley and you’d still say sack him. 😂

I still can't believe what happened to Notts county after being runners up to Wrexscum,

That would of been the greatest travesty in football if they hadn't got promoted finishing with that amount of points. 

It needs sorting for two automatic places, even if it means scrapping the NL play offs in order to do it.

13 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I still can't believe what happened to Notts county after being runners up to Wrexscum,

That would of been the greatest travesty in football if they hadn't got promoted finishing with that amount of points. 

It needs sorting for two automatic places, even if it means scrapping the NL play offs in order to do it.

Yep agreed. 

Although weirdly I don’t mind the protection it offers league clubs coming down. IE to lose your EFL status you have to be horrifically bad. 

To answer a load of posts without quoting them individually.

Like last season I think we will be better off during the middle third, due to our squad and also the 7 subs rule. I'm not sure if anyone commented last week but Southend only named 6 subs when we played them. That number is likely to go down unless their ownership is sorted AND they are active in the transfer market. For all his faults Fondop probably makes the team for most teams in this division. He's our third choice, which means he's our second sub. Our squad is very strong, even if the team might not be relatively.

We've got double the points we had after 9 games last season. We won't be playing catch-up to the same extent. Despite that we were comfortably in the playoffs in late Feb.

I live relatively centrally in the nearest major city to both Yeovil and FGR. Both are over 3 hours away by public transport. That's how much of a pain it is to get to either place and also why I drive to both (under an hour). Like a lot of those Somerset / Wiltshire / Gloucestershire towns Warminster is very local and doesn't have much night life. Be better off staying in Taunton. The night life in some of the costal towns might be good though, except getting to Yeovil could be an issue.

As this board's resident BBC quizzing expert passing is the best option when you aren't sure because the quiz master doesn't then have to give the right answer before the next question. It's quicker so you might get at least another question if not more. Taking a comfortable 30 seconds to do the mental arithmetic and despite doing the sums correctly saying the wrong answer doesn't help.

57 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

so is the answer wrong? 

Nope, answer is right. Gunnar scored in 94/95 season, we didn't score against them at Elm Park in 95/96 or 96/97 when, as you mentioned, the fella from MUTV missed a pen to effectively relegate us...

• Thanks 1

• Bender featured this topic

I feel much better now that I know I was chucked out of the modern Oasis WhatsApp group for wondering if the current president was Barry Owen in disguise 😂. Point of order though as my mate who started OASIS back in 1986 was appointed as Life President when he handed over to me in 1989 and he's still alive...! Always up for a pint Will🍻

15 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Why?

You wouldn't be making the journey because we're at home 😄

Ah, gotcha.

Sounded like you were planning to take me out. 

Thought you might be one of those Yeovil Tourist Board extremists...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nope, answer is right. Gunnar scored in 94/95 season, we didn't score against them at Elm Park in 95/96 or 96/97 when, as you mentioned, the fella from MUTV missed a pen to effectively relegate us...

Went in 95/96 too. Gerry Creaney was up front. The only other memorable thing about that day was a load of wrong 'uns getting on the train at Slough and eyeing up my Reebok Classics. To this day, I still think about what I would have done stuck in the middle of Berkshire without any shoes on...

"Good times..."

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Went in 95/96 too. Gerry Creaney was up front. The only memorable thing about that day was a load of wrong 'uns getting on the train at Slough and eyeing up my Reebok Classics. To this day, I still think about what I would have done stuck in the middle of Berkshire without any shoes on...

"Good times..."

Which year was 'the tale of Roger's chips'?😂