BPAS PODCAST: 16th Sept '24, S5E7: Reasons to be Cheerful

23 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Ironically, had he passed on that question instead, he probably would have scored more than zero.

Honestly...that was my best chance of a point in the next 100 questions. Maybe even the next 1,000.

Ask me about art, philosophy, most periods of history, literature, sport more generally, horoscopes, astronomy, physics, chemistry, biology, religion...I'll get seven or eight out of 10. Latics? Nada.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Ask me about art, philosophy, most periods of history, literature, sport more generally, horoscopes, astronomy, physics, chemistry, biology, religion...I'll get seven or eight out of 10. Latics? Nada.

Cool. 

What's the best way of getting to Latics on Saturday if part of the M60's shut?

15 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I feel much better now that I know I was chucked out of the modern Oasis WhatsApp group for wondering if the current president was Barry Owen in disguise 😂. Point of order though as my mate who started OASIS back in 1986 was appointed as Life President when he handed over to me in 1989 and he's still alive...! Always up for a pint Will🍻

What happened was this: I questioned some of the decisions made by the club hierarchy, to wit: the Atlantic row (unwelcome distraction) and Frank standing with the supporters (it can turn sour very quickly and unexpectedly, which no one wants or needs).

A few in the OASIS WhatsApp group pointed out the similarities between my criticisms and the less eloquent ones voiced at the time by Barry Owen. I felt attacked by this, not least because Barry is one of the most hated figures in the history of hated figures. I don't mind an argument or even an ad hominem attack, but Barry Owen? Once is too often, but even after I'd politely asked people to stop it, they carried on as if it was double funny that I was genuinely upset. So that made it double unfunny and ever so slightly irritating, which is considerably more than enough to earn exile status.

Point of order though as my mate who started OASIS back in 1986 was appointed as Life President when he handed over to me in 1989 and he's still alive...!

Image 4.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Junction 12

Piece of piss.

A640 to Denshaw. Pretty sure there are no lights between the junction and the bottom of Huddersfield Road, Newhey.

No. Wait. If the motorway is closed, you don't want to be in Newhey. Or Milnrow.

A640 to Denshaw, take a left at the crossroads, A672. Take a right at Grains Bar towards Shaw. Then take that left down Grains Road - the aim of the game is to avoid both Newhey and Milnrow if the motorway is fucked. 

You probably know your way from Shaw, but my tip would be to avoid Shaw Road from the roundabout and head through Heyside and down to Shaw Road End via Salmon Fields. You probably know your way from there, but if you're parking in the Greyhound, you're better off going right into Royton, left down Middleton Road and left again down Holden Fold Lane.

My London geography is white hot too.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

What happened was this: I questioned some of the decisions made by the club hierarchy, to wit: the Atlantic row (unwelcome distraction) and Frank standing with the supporters (it can turn sour very quickly and unexpectedly, which no one wants or needs).

Image 4.jpeg

Wit or not, I make you right. He should not be in with the fans or travelling on booze buses...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Use a SatNav like Waze or similar 👍

Google, Waze don't have the local knowledge necessary for this. There's no way they'd send you the way I suggest. When Joe goes that way, he'll be doing so on an open road because Google and Waze will send everyone else the same way through Newhey and/or Milnrow, both of which will be gridlocked all day if the motorway there is closed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

A few in the OASIS WhatsApp group pointed out the similarities between my criticisms and the less eloquent ones voiced at the time by Barry Owen. I felt attacked by this, not least because Barry is one of the most hated figures in the history of hated figures. I don't mind an argument or even an ad hominem attack, but Barry Owen? Once is too often, but even after I'd politely asked people to stop it, they carried on as if it was double funny that I was genuinely upset. So that made it double unfunny and ever so slightly irritating, which is considerably more than enough to earn exile status.

Image 4.jpeg

never saw anyone else say it, but heigh ho.  All I saw was you saying he should be taking a much less prominent role and then criticising him for being in the middle of the Atlantic when the club was in a tough period. I dare say all were tongue in cheek (and everybody knows how often that can be misinterpreted on any form of social media!) as was my reply but I'm very much .  of the opinion that life's too short.  For the record I don't think you are Bazza.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

never saw anyone else say it, but heigh ho.  All I saw was you saying he should be taking a much less prominent role and then criticising him for being in the middle of the Atlantic when the club was in a tough period. I dare say all were tongue in cheek (and everybody knows how often that can be misinterpreted on any form of social media!) as was my reply but I'm very much .  of the opinion that life's too short.  For the record I don't think you are Bazza.

I wasn't upset because you said you thought I was Bazza. I was upset because you likened my opinions to his when they are different in precisely all the ways that opinions can be different: Bazza and I are not talking to the same people; we are not coming from the same place; and we do not want the same thing. 

Not even vaguely similar.

What would count as a proportionate apology? Something like this:

"Your opinions are unlike those of Barry Owen and I am so, so sorry for the offence I blatantly caused by persistently comparing you with one of the most hated people in the history of hate."

Something along those lines. Just be careful with the wording is all I'm saying. Maybe start with "Dear Mr President..."

9 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

I wasn't upset because you said you thought I was Bazza. I was upset because you likened my opinions to his when they are different in precisely all the ways that opinions can be different: Bazza and I are not talking to the same people; we are not coming from the same place; and we do not want the same thing. 

Not even vaguely similar.

What would count as a proportionate apology? Something like this:

"Your opinions are unlike those of Barry Owen and I am so, so sorry for the offence I blatantly caused by persistently comparing you with one of the most hated people in the history of hate."

Something along those lines. Just be careful with the wording is all I'm saying. Maybe start with "Dear Mr President..."

As I said, life's too short.  Should you wish to be in the corner of society where offence is regularly taken when it is clear none is meant then that is entirely within your rights.

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

As I said, life's too short.  Should you wish to be in the corner of society where offence is regularly taken when it is clear none is meant then that is entirely within your rights.

All of a sudden the thread was bathed in the illumination of gaslight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

All of a sudden the thread was bathed in the illumination of gaslight.

It's unbelievable. We've had both "things written are open to interpretation" and "you've taken offence when none was meant". What's next? Am I over-reacting? Do I have an over-active imagination? Am I mentally ill? 

Honestly. If that pint is ever going to happen, the "Dear Mr President" ball is very much in Dave's court, followed by something like, "I respect and admire how you have rebuilt OASIS from the smoking ruins of my tenure as President, and from the profligate tenures of my friends. You are truly a glorious leader."

2 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

It's unbelievable. We've had both "things written are open to interpretation" and "you've taken offence when none was meant". What's next? Am I over-reacting? Do I have an over-active imagination? Am I mentally ill? 

Honestly. If that pint is ever going to happen, the "Dear Mr President" ball is very much in Dave's court, followed by something like, "I respect and admire how you have rebuilt OASIS from the smoking ruins of my tenure as President, and from the profligate tenures of my friends. You are truly a glorious leader."

Fight passive aggressive with passive aggressive 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Ah, but I was never President - I was Chairman in an era where nobody was offended by the suffix of 'man' at the end of Chair... :)  I shall conclude that someone needs to design a much better tongue in cheek emoji than I have ever come across and mandate its use on all forms of social media where participants are remotely likely to become involved in 'banter'.  I'm off to watch old episodes of sitcoms that could never be broadcast on terrestrial TV now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Wit or not, I make you right. He should not be in with the fans or travelling on booze buses...

Why don’t you agree?

If it’s because he shouldn’t put himself at risk. .  Ok; as well as being the owner, maybe he’s a just bloke who very obviously enjoys being with the fans- and understands the risk/ reward ratio.  As evidenced several times last season. . and it hasn’t stopped him has it?? Maybe he is an intelligent successful man capable of making his own decisions, and not a very naive Fred Dibna Trope.

I’d wager he’s just an extremely independent bloke who will do what he wants when he wants. 

Hear Hear. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why don’t you agree?

If it’s because he shouldn’t put himself at risk. .  Ok; as well as being the owner, maybe he’s a just bloke who very obviously enjoys being with the fans- and understands the risk/ reward ratio.  As evidenced several times last season. . and it hasn’t stopped him has it?? Maybe he is an intelligent successful man capable of making his own decisions, and not a very naive Fred Dibna Trope.

I’d wager he’s just an extremely independent bloke who will do what he wants when he wants. 

Hear Hear. 

Extremely Independent Bloke, my favourite Blur B-side.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why don’t you agree?

Hear Hear. 

You're missing the point by miles here.

The point is that you can't go around calling people Barry Owen - even in jest. Call me woke if you want, but some insults are just too much.

12 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

You're missing the point by miles here.

The point is that you can't go around calling people Barry Owen - even in jest. Call me woke if you want, but some insults are just too much.

😂😂😂😂

No. You’re missing the point.

I wasn’t talking about you or Barry or being woke. 

I was asking paddy his opinion on Frank being in a crowd.

That’s it. 

The rest I haven’t a clue what you’re on about. 

• Like 4