BPAS PODCAST: 16th Sept '24, S5E7: Reasons to be Cheerful

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂😂😂

No. You’re missing the point.

I wasn’t talking about you or Barry or being woke. 

I was asking paddy his opinion on Frank being in a crowd.

That’s it. 

The rest I haven’t a clue what you’re on about. 

🤣

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂😂😂

That’s it. 

This thread has more tangents than a circle, it's hard to keep up.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

What the fuck is going on 😂😂

Abit bonkers innit.

To be fair describing someone as being a Barry Owen isn't too far off being a hate crime that should carry the death penalty I can't think of lower insult :)

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Abit bonkers innit.

To be fair describing someone as being a Barry Owen isn't too far off being a hate crime that should carry the death penalty I can't think of lower insult :)

It would be, if it had actually happened....

46 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Abit bonkers innit.

Sounds like something Neil Joy would say...

• Like 4

On 9/17/2024 at 4:43 PM, League one forever said:

😂😂😂😂

That’s it. 

I’m missing the point for humorous effect. 

Obviously everyone reveres Frank for what he’s done for charity, for the club, for the town.

But I did like - and in some ways prefer - the style of Ian Stott, who once every two seasons might get the programme editor to write a single pager full of cliches by way of “engaging with the fans”. 

1 minute ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

I’m missing the point for humorous effect. 

Obviously everyone reveres Frank for what he’s done for charity, for the club, for the town.

But I did like - and in some ways prefer - the style of Ian Stott, who once every two seasons might get the programme editor to write a single pager full of cliches by way of “engaging with the fans”. 

Each to their own. 

That to me feels like paying lip service when in reality the Chair (In this insistence Stott) doesn’t really care about fan engagement. Fine. Just sign the cheques, stay in the boardroom and don’t say anything then. At least that’s honest. 

In Franks case- I think he genuinely loves being with the fans. A, because it makes him feel good to see that his money brings people together. B, because he loves a sing song.

To balance that, he’s a highly successful man who isn’t naive and is very used to dealing with people. He will be fully aware of the risk of things turning (as it did last season) and is happy to keep doing it. 

I’d be far far more concerned about him and the family losing interest than I would him genuinely enjoying being with fans and how it may look. It’s a lovely thing in my view, because it and he isn’t fake. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

In Franks case- I think he genuinely loves being with the fans. A, because it makes him feel good to see that his money brings people together. B, because he loves a sing song.

I look at it from a perspective that I saw him mingling amonst the fans at Yeovil at the end of 2022-23 season and I was with the biggest bunch of fucking head-the-balls who had been on the piss for seven hours solid. The last thing you want to see is your jovial, all-loving chairman having a fist thrown his way because a pissed up nimrod doesn't like the prayer room he built or somesuch bollocks.

Stay safe, Frank. Stay in the boardroom.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I look at it from a perspective that I saw him mingling amonst the fans at Yeovil at the end of 2022-23 season and I was with the biggest bunch of fucking head-the-balls who had been on the piss for seven hours solid. The last thing you want to see is your jovial, all-loving chairman having a fist thrown his way because a pissed up nimrod doesn't like the prayer room he built or somesuch bollocks.

Stay safe, Frank. Stay in the boardroom.

Yeah, understood. But there are levels. 

Imagine the blacklist that fan is on if that happened . . . any lad that got near Frank would instantly have another 20 lads defending him,  or put another way. I think the likelihood of someone hitting Frank is as close to zero as it gets. 

What happened last season was, he had to deal with Unsworth out chants. People shouting at him to do something. When he travelled to those away games, he knew we were struggling. He knew the fans weren’t happy, and still went. 

His uniqueness, his personality, his willingness to engage is what has made him what he is. Nobody can expect or want him to change because his ‘role dictates he can’t be himself and he must keep his distance’ 

Celebrate who he is, not who he should be. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, understood. But there are levels. 

Imagine the blacklist that fan is on if that happened . . . any lad that got near Frank would instantly have another 20 lads defending him,  or put another way. I think the likelihood of someone hitting Frank is as close to zero as it gets. 

What happened last season was, he had to deal with Unsworth out chants. People shouting at him to do something. When he travelled to those away games, he knew we were struggling. He knew the fans weren’t happy, and still went. 

His uniqueness, his personality, his willingness to engage is what has made him what he is. Nobody can expect or want him to change because his ‘role dictates he can’t be himself and he must keep his distance’ 

Celebrate who he is, not who he should be. 

We've all got our takes on Frank's style and they're all fine and dandy, but there was more than a suggestion in the OASIS WhatsApp group of a pile-on just because I'd voiced a bit of hang-on-a-minute dissent.

Plans are afoot to democratise OASIS, but one of the conditions for democratisation is toleration - of different views, people and so on. Accusing someone of having similar opinions as Barry is way beyond those theoretical bounds.

As a self-appointed President in the style of a Juan Antonio Samaranch or Sepp Blatter, I was entitled to more respect. If the respect doesn't come voluntarily, it'll come enforced. Otherwise I'd be a crap President right?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

We've all got our takes on Frank's style and they're all fine and dandy, but there was more than a suggestion in the OASIS WhatsApp group of a pile-on just because I'd voiced a bit of hang-on-a-minute dissent.

Plans are afoot to democratise OASIS, but one of the conditions for democratisation is toleration - of different views, people and so on. Accusing someone of having similar opinions as Barry is way beyond those theoretical bounds.

As a self-appointed President in the style of a Juan Antonio Samaranch or Sepp Blatter, I was entitled to more respect. If the respect doesn't come voluntarily, it'll come enforced. Otherwise I'd be a crap President right?

It was much easier in my day because communication was via hand-typed newsletters photocopied at lunchtime while the boss was out and then posted out.  I'm afraid that any form of social media, particularly ones like WhatsApp where messages disappear over the horizon in minutes, is always going to be open to masses of misunderstanding and mis-interpretation.  The only person I chucked out during my 8 years at the helm was someone who wrote an 'official complaint' to me because  his roughly monthly newsletter was 'a week late'.  I'm, sure that for all the bickering that goes on on this platform the vast majority of people would get on perfectly well if they met in the pub.  It might also go to save our pub sector!  One man's banter is another man's offensive comment and unfortunately that's just how it is in the modern age.   Sadly it leads to many more serious misunderstandings than those around former senior directors or, indeed, anything to do with kicking a ball into a bag.  I'm sure we would get on just fine in the pub. Cheers anyway, life's much too short to fall out with people we don't even know!

1 hour ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Bloody hell, get over it mate. 

It’s been a few consecutive days of you mentioning some issues with OASIS. Hardly anyone understands what you are on about and just sounds like you are being oversensitive to the fact someone called you Barry Owen 😂

Time to move on. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s been a few consecutive days of you mentioning some issues with OASIS. Hardly anyone understands what you are on about and just sounds like you are being oversensitive to the fact someone called you Barry Owen 😂

Time to move on. Shitpeas.

FTFY

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Time to move on. 

The President will decide when it's time to move on and when it's time to dwell on, and over-react to, a perceived insult in a WhatsApp group. Obviously I am still not over it, still OBSESSED by it in fact. And all it takes to end this festival of ill feeling is a short note starting with "Dear Mr President" or "Dear Leader", followed by a long-ish grovelling mea culpa, and ending with "I remain forever in your shadow as Leader of Oldham Athletic's oldest and most prestigious fan group."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

The President will decide when it's time to move on and when it's time to dwell on, and over-react to, a perceived insult in a WhatsApp group. Obviously I am still not over it, still OBSESSED by it in fact. And all it takes to end this festival of ill feeling is a short note starting with "Dear Mr President" or "Dear Leader", followed by a long-ish grovelling mea culpa, and ending with "I remain forever in your shadow as Leader of Oldham Athletic's oldest and most prestigious fan group."

Strange, puzzled and no clue what you are going on about. 

5 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

There is nothing less humorous than somebody trying very very hard to be funny/ironic. Exhibit A, above.

• Like 1