Can anyone who travels outside of Oldham recommend the best way to get to BP to avoid the M62 closures. It took me 1.5 hours to get there v Southend following the diversions. Travelling from the Worsley area. Is it best to go through Manc via Eastlands or did every route get snarled up? Cheers!!

Basically living in Worsley you are fucked. You might be better trying to get on Oldham Rd out of Manchester City centre. I wasn't around for the last weekend closure but I know Middleton / Heywood was a nightmare. Fortunately I am away again this weekend, good luck if you choose to try and attend. 

3 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Can anyone who travels outside of Oldham recommend the best way to get to BP to avoid the M62 closures. It took me 1.5 hours to get there v Southend following the diversions. Travelling from the Worsley area. Is it best to go through Manc via Eastlands or did every route get snarled up? Cheers!!

Public transport an option?

28 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Yeah I can get a bus into mcr from where I live. What’s the best way to get from mcr to BP on public transport?

From Piccadilly Gardens, I either get the 181 to the Rifle Range or Broadway or the 182 to The Hospital or just before it turns right onto Burnley Lane, (if I'm going the Rifle)

Edited by JoeP

11 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Buses will have the same issues surely? I’d do the tram and get off at Westwood and walk. Some nice boozers along the way, Westbourne, Westwood, Eleven Ways, Spinners, Queens…what’s not to like 🤦🏼‍♂️

I'm hoping the whole of Manchester isn't going to grind to a standstill because a bit of the motorway is out, but you never know..

8 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

I thought that it was only closed for 2 weekends  ..      So should be finished now.!!!!!!!!

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2024/september/04/m62-closure/?fbclid=IwY2xjawFH2AJleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHd2rANJ7QqAeQxH1STMwKzb9JPS4-9py2hMGv64u0FR2Xt_p3j25VBJurg_aem_Ds26zF6QL_MRarF9rsmM4A

Suggests it might effect the Yeovil game...

1 hour ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Yeah I can get a bus into mcr from where I live. What’s the best way to get from mcr to BP on public transport?

Tram and get off at either Westwood or King Street, alternatively get off at Freehold and pop in to the Dog Inn (just next to ttam stop) where Chadderton Supporters Club are based and normally meet from about 12, someone's bound to be getting a taxi up from there or working their way up via Chadderton's boozers (what's left).

Dog - Crown (Sump Hole) - Sun - Blue Cub - Reform - Springvale (Khartoum) then about a 10 minute stagger to Rifle.

5 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I feel your pain. I live in Leigh and yes it was an absolute nightmare last time, so much so that I'm seriously thinking if I want to put myself through it all again for a 1-1 draw...

11 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Train to Mills Hill and walk from there is an option. 

Anyone suggesting bus from either Rochdale, Ashton or Manchester must be under the impression they sprout wings and fly over stationary traffic.

I guarantee that there will be someone sat on the back seat blowing air through tracing paper and a comb

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Train to Mills Hill and walk from there is an option. 

Anyone suggesting bus from either Rochdale, Ashton or Manchester must be under the impression they sprout wings and fly over stationary traffic.

Rail replacement buses can though 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Am I missing something? Why would there be additional traffic from Manchester City centre to BP, when the closed motorway isn't really on that route?

be cause the last weekend it was shut it was pretty much grid lock on all the alternative routes around it shaw royton middleton etc all ground to a halt then folk went further afield to get around it all broadway was hammered 

• Thanks 1

I work on Sat mornings when we are at home. Finish at 12:30 in Manchester for the 12:45 bus.

It never showed for the Southend Game. I ended up getting the 83 & walked from Oldham Bus Station.

Shambles. Got there early enough

8 hours ago, JoeP said:

Am I missing something? Why would there be additional traffic from Manchester City centre to BP, when the closed motorway isn't really on that route?

The whole M60 was fucked, along with all the arterial routes coming off it.