MATCH: Yeovil Town (H) 21/09/24

These have done better against the 'lesser' teams, Fylde, Boston and Ebbsfleet but struggled to break down some of the better teams, got goals in them but I suspect they'll come and try to keep it tight.

They play variations of 4-1-4-1 but it sort of morphs in to a 3-1-5-1 or even a 2-3-4-1 at times with wing backs in the 3 who can be got at, Smith the RWB is particularly weak on the turn so it could be a game for Jez to come in although that would appear harsh on Kitch at first glance, Charlie Cooper tends to sit in as the CDM and directs operations, early in the season they did set up almost identical to us and started brightly but have since dropped off and struggled against better opposition, saying that they should have won at Gateshead (who I feel are in a false position) but since have gone off the boil and are powder puff upfront, it will probably be just Jarvis on his own upfront but they really do struggle to create despite being happy to push the wingback on, Cooper does drop in and cover but it leaves gaps that hopefully we can exploit if we look for the pockets.

They've played nobody of note other than Dale who they kept their shape against and played for a point but were undone by a late injury time winner, they are quite a passive team and can be got at.

if we start with the right intentions and tempo (I hope we don't have one of our days), we've a good chance of picking up some points, they've a decent keeper in Wright and Williams can bring the ball out, other than that their summer signings from Torquay Jarvis and McGavin have been a bit hit and miss so it's a game we should really be looking to win and a strong start is imperative.

I'd take a 1-0 but hoping to see us click up front, they do flood the midfield so I'd be wary about that but I'd probably look to starting with the same eleven as at Woking with one eye on Tuesday for Norwood and Garner. Not sure where Gardner is up to either if he's out I'd be tempted to play Dolan alongside Conlon in the two.

Hudson

Ogle

Raglan

Monthe

Caprice

Gardner/Dolan

Conlon

Kitching/Uchegbulam 

Lundstrum 

Hammond

Fondop

Maloney

Hogan

Kitching/Uchegbulam 

Hobson

Gardner/Dolan/Khan

Garner

Norwood

No updates on Charsley or Kay who'd obviously come in if fit.

• Like 1

Id keep Jez on the bench until 65 mins then unleash him on tired legs, Kitch defends a little better and looks to be hitting a little bit of form. If Gardner isnt fit I would team uo Khan with Conlon ( I know its not his natural position but he IMO woud do a better jobcarrying the ball than Dolan). I would love Fondop to start as he will be full on for this match in front of his family. Replace Lundstram with Nors then when Fondop completes his hatrick hall him off to a standing ovation so Garner gets 10 mins 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

Id keep Jez on the bench until 65 mins then unleash him on tired legs, Kitch defends a little better and looks to be hitting a little bit of form. If Gardner isnt fit I would team uo Khan with Conlon ( I know its not his natural position but he IMO woud do a better jobcarrying the ball than Dolan). I would love Fondop to start as he will be full on for this match in front of his family. Replace Lundstram with Nors then when Fondop completes his hatrick hall him off to a standing ovation so Garner gets 10 mins 

And then you woke up 🙂, sounds like a plan.

Fondop is more likely to be sent off through exuberance than he is to score an hatrick, I hope 🙏  the occasion doesn't get the better of him and he can channel his energy productively, I'd love nothing more for him to score live in front of his father.

Knowing Mellon though he'll probably name him on the bench and bring him on in injury time 🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Fondop is more likely to be sent off through exuberance than he is to score an hatrick, I hope 🙏  the occasion doesn't get the better of him and he can channel his energy productively, I'd love nothing more for him to score live in front of his father.

Knowing Mellon though he'll probably name him on the bench and bring him on in injury time 🤣

I've missed something here - Fondop's father?

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I've missed something here - Fondop's father?

On the official Twatter account there's a snippet with Fondop on Saturday's game saying it's the first time any of his immediate family barring his wife and outlaws will have seen him play live, his father is visiting from Cameroon 🇨🇲 to watch him play. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

On the official Twatter account there's a snippet with Fondop on Saturday's game saying it's the first time any of his immediate family barring his wife and outlaws will have seen him play live, his father is visiting from Cameroon 🇨🇲 to watch him play. 

I thought we were back to the days of Lee & Gary Johnson :)

32 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

That'll be an emotional day for Fondop. He's a really likeable fella and I'll be rooting for him to bag a goal or two. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I thought we were back to the days of Lee & Gary Johnson :)

4 - 0 defeat incoming :peepwall:

Got worse the week after getting spanked 7-0 at Mk Dongs, long trip home that was.

Edited by yarddog73

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

These have done better against the 'lesser' teams, Fylde, Boston and Ebbsfleet but struggled to break down some of the better teams, got goals in them but I suspect they'll come and try to keep it tight.

They play variations of 4-1-4-1 but it sort of morphs in to a 3-1-5-1 or even a 2-3-4-1 at times with wing backs in the 3 who can be got at, Smith the RWB is particularly weak on the turn so it could be a game for Jez to come in although that would appear harsh on Kitch at first glance, Charlie Cooper tends to sit in as the CDM and directs operations, early in the season they did set up almost identical to us and started brightly but have since dropped off and struggled against better opposition, saying that they should have won at Gateshead (who I feel are in a false position) but since have gone off the boil and are powder puff upfront, it will probably be just Jarvis on his own upfront but they really do struggle to create despite being happy to push the wingback on, Cooper does drop in and cover but it leaves gaps that hopefully we can exploit if we look for the pockets.

They've played nobody of note other than Dale who they kept their shape against and played for a point but were undone by a late injury time winner, they are quite a passive team and can be got at.

if we start with the right intentions and tempo (I hope we don't have one of our days), we've a good chance of picking up some points, they've a decent keeper in Wright and Williams can bring the ball out, other than that their summer signings from Torquay Jarvis and McGavin have been a bit hit and miss so it's a game we should really be looking to win and a strong start is imperative.

I'd take a 1-0 but hoping to see us click up front, they do flood the midfield so I'd be wary about that but I'd probably look to starting with the same eleven as at Woking with one eye on Tuesday for Norwood and Garner. Not sure where Gardner is up to either if he's out I'd be tempted to play Dolan alongside Conlon in the two.

Hudson

Ogle

Raglan

Monthe

Caprice

Gardner/Dolan

Conlon

Kitching/Uchegbulam 

Lundstrum 

Hammond

Fondop

Maloney

Hogan

Kitching/Uchegbulam 

Hobson

Gardner/Dolan/Khan

Garner

Norwood

No updates on Charsley or Kay who'd obviously come in if fit.

Jeeez…are you the Latics analyst?😂

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Jeeez…are you the Latics analyst?😂

I've watched a couple of their games, sad I know but I'll watch any football so amuse myself studying our opposition when bored 🤣

For what it's worth having watched them we've little to fear and I fancy us to win on Saturday, I'm not always that confident. 

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I've watched a couple of their games, sad I know but I'll watch any football so amuse myself studying our opposition when bored 🤣

For what it's worth having watched them we've little to fear and I fancy us to win on Saturday, I'm not always that confident. 

👍😂

6 hours ago, spanishfly said:

That'll be an emotional day for Fondop. He's a really likeable fella and I'll be rooting for him to bag a goal or two. 

It's good that he's earned his place with last week's performance.  If it doesn't work with him starting then Norwood and Garner will be useful backup.

21 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Mellon does give off that vibe doesn't he? Tbf, if Norwood's fit it would be a footballing decision to start with him and unleash Mike from the bench on the hour mark.

9 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Mellon does give off that vibe doesn't he? Tbf, if Norwood's fit it would be a footballing decision to start with him and unleash Mike from the bench on the hour mark.

Probably this.

However I hope Mikey starts, smashes a hattrick, and gets subbed off for Borewood after 80 mins, to a standing ovation. Don't get me wrong, Snorewood is a super-efficient striker, playing below his level, but he rarely gets my juices flowing.

I have to say, I LOVE Mikey, and how much he appears to enjoy playing for us. More of it please. The desire of someone like him (and the likes of Gardner) is what I want to see. People make a club.

Haters can hate, but he's our top scorer, God's number 9, and his holdup play and presence is great (and he has other qualities - see the beaut of a cross for Charsley's goal vs. Wealdstone). Cussing him for misses is a bit like calling Monthe out for 'having a mistake in him' ... I mean, jog on.

Just like dissing Charsley's quality (probably up there with Monthe in terms of being a standout player so far this term) or e.g. Lundstram, who, by all accounts was top vs. Woking (a game I've not watched) but who, in my estimation gives a proper balance to the midfield.

We're not Real Madrid, were Oldham and proud of it. I sense good things coming.

Latics to win 4-1 (Fondop (3))

KTF

Edited by sempreazzurro
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Textbook easy-on-paper match straight after a decent away result coming right up. We've fucked these up so many times. Yet another chance to show we are really turning the page now.

If we are to go up we are going to have to stop having these "Typical Latics" moments or atleast have alot less of them. We need to put these to the sword tomorrow.