MATCH: Yeovil Town (H) 21/09/24

I’m not convinced that there are many Fondop ‘haters’…

just many who see that he is a wholehearted but limited player.

He is an instinctive footballer who sometimes lets himself down - far too often caught offside or failing to hit the target but he should be seen as a valued member of the squad - he chips in with goals and is also an asset in the air when we are defending. I actually think that he is getting better at leading the line too.

He will play some part tomorrow and I hope he gets a goal in front of his dad 😃

• Like 7

Going for 3-1 tomorrow.  Early goal to set us on our way or like every other team who come to Boundary Park, Yeovil will  slow down game, waste time and try to frustrate.  Hopefully we start like Woking and be on front foot from kick off.  If we get early lead, especially at home, go after them and not drop deep, we owe someone a battering if only for the chances we spurn each game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nicest thing to do would be to let Fondop spend more time with his father and allow him to watch the game with him from the main stand...

We'll have to disagree on that. I appreciate he has limitations, but his returns are decent, and I reckon if you cut him he would bleed blue and tangerine. He's also an entertaining watch.

So, I hope you're wrong, and whilst Mike is banging in the goals, his Dad will be getting the full VIP treatment from Frank. Call me an old romantic, but I think these things are important.

Values. Family club. Togetherness ... and all that. These things need rebuilding after the sh*tshow of the preceding couple of decades, as much as our position in the league hierarchy.

• Like 8

Above all, I think it’s Imperative that MM gets his midfield 4 right in their correct 2 hold, 2 press formation. 
This is the key for me - I would otherwise be cool with any of his selections that fill all the remaining positions around his midfield 4.
We have enough quality and flexibility for this league to call on defensively, wide and up top. 

Hold: Conlon and Gardner.

Press: Lundstram and Hammond. 

Recent ‘form’ would suggest that Khan and Dolan don’t quite deserve starts at the moment. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hollandspies said:

Above all, I think it’s Imperative that MM gets his midfield 4 right in their correct 2 hold, 2 press formation. 
This is the key for me - I would otherwise be cool with any of his selections that fill all the remaining positions around his midfield 4.
We have enough quality and flexibility for this league to call on defensively, wide and up top. 

Yep. Absolutely spot on. 

He must play them in those positions. It’s the most important blend of the whole side. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hollandspies said:

Recent ‘form’ would suggest that Khan and Dolan don’t quite deserve starts at the moment. 

Agreed. That’s the midfield i would go with tomorrow. With only 1 striker being able to start in that formation, for me Fondop edges it over Norwood tomorrow with the desire he will have to impress his father. He’s also 2 goals in 3. I think it would also be nice to see 2 strikers and look to play on the front foot and get the fans off their seats. Maybe a 5-3-2 with hammonds legs behind norwood and fondop with conlon and gardner/lundstram keeping things tidy behind hammond. whichever formation, i’m not bothered as long as we win.

Edited by Oldham_till_i_die
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Three of the next four at home.

A whole calendar year since we won twice consecutively at home.

Hopefully we can finish September off strongly and head into autumn with confidence.

It's certainly our achilles heel, only four wins in twenty two at home since Mellon came to the club which is now getting on for 12 month ago.

14 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I’m not convinced that there are many Fondop ‘haters’…

13 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nicest thing to do would be to let Fondop spend more time with his father and allow him to watch the game with him from the main stand...

🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, Oldham_till_i_die said:

Agreed. That’s the midfield i would go with tomorrow. With only 1 striker being able to start in that formation, for me Fondop edges it over Norwood tomorrow with the desire he will have to impress his father. He’s also 2 goals in 3. I think it would also be nice to see 2 strikers and look to play on the front foot and get the fans off their seats. Maybe a 5-3-2 with hammonds legs behind norwood and fondop with conlon and gardner/lundstram keeping things tidy behind hammond. whichever formation, i’m not bothered as long as we win.

Hammond and Conlon deep with Lundstrum behind Norwood and Fondop. 

thats a 4-0 minimum.

41 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Hammond has to play further forward along with Lundstram so it'll be Mikey up front alone !

dunno yano its gettin a bit hard leaving Nors out for this long. respect Eminem if he does leave him out, but proper hope he doesnt.

plus l think Hammond plays deep for Wales so

Edited by Monty Burns
another sentence

Well, I am hoping to watch the game, but given that I have just watched the Lions beat Geelong at the MCG to reach our second consecutive GF and that my sobriety is severely challenged, I am not liking my chances.

If I make it back to the hotel before midnight, I may be in with a shout.

If I don't, come on you blues!!!

And, Go Lions!