MATCH: Yeovil Town (H) 21/09/24

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

1 defeat in 10 now. We're beginning to see a solid outfit who are tough to beat and are  hopefully to find ways to win consistently. It's not about how you play at this level, it's just about getting results. Bring on FGR

Be careful what you wish for

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Fondop be lucky to last another 10, crying out for Dolan, Gardner and Dolan to add some creativity. 

WTF!? 

Fondop was easily our best player. 

Norwood was garbage frankly 

• Like 4

Out on a family do today and managed to sneak a peek at the scores. 
Very happy and it will spur me on to a few more pints. :D 
Well done lads.

Solid start to the season so far, I am quite happy..obvs with a few beers down my neck already.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No - it’s not that he’s not trying, the others just aren’t on his wavelength. . . 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

😂

"If Mike Fondop can get a new contract then anyone can..."

Awks.

15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

A difficult watch. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Norwood could do with watching the effort and application from a man with about 1/16th of his ability...

Is that ability that Norwood has? Or has?

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Or thinks he has??

There's no doubt he was once better than this level but I think the jury is quite reasonably out on whether he still is. Whether that's mental or physical is irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Or thinks he has??

Be honest. Norwood is 4 times the player Fondop is. But on numerous occasions today (and over the last 18 months), Fondop has put Norwood to shame with effort and work rate etc. Has to be Fondop and Garner on Tuesday...

• Like 6

They were shite. Should have comfortably won that - Norwood's chance from the corner and Fondop's header into the ground were big chances.

Midfield is a real problem. Most of them treat the football like a bomb that's about to explode, and Conlon's refusal to pass forwards is a real issue. No idea what he was doing with the free-kick in the 95th. 

Good job Ogle can throw it far, it's about 90% of the way we make chances. 

Take that all day long. They were shit and came for a 0-0. We looked a bit clueless at times as to how to break them down, but I can't remember them having a shot. In the end, we had enough chances again to win 3-0 on another day.

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Be honest. Norwood is 4 times the player Fondop is. But on numerous occasions today (and over the last 18 months), Fondop has put Norwood to shame with effort and work rate etc. Has to be Fondop and Garner on Tuesday...

Effort with limited ability sometimes gets results. Rarely works the other way round 

I would credit the manager today. His changes early in the second half worked and we dominated possession far more. Dolan was very influential. In the end we delivered a ball of sufficient quality and finished well.

Yeovil can't have too many complaints of they don't muster a worthwhile shot all game, though I'm not sure what happened at the end

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Norwood has been largely ineffective for some time, he needs to improve and he knows it and I think a lot of the moaning and whinging is he is angry with himself . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Being honest, I don't think that's right.  He can finish one on ones better than Fondop and takes a decent penalty, but it's Fondop for me in all other aspects.

I haven't followed players from other teams since the 90s, so knew nothing about Norwood before he signed for us.  Everyone seemed excited and some superficial research suggested he was a bit of coup, but I can only really judge him on what I've seen playing for us.  He's had fleeting moments of superiority but largely seems to treat the league he's playing in and his teammates with complete contempt, which I find pretty insulting.  .No one's bigger than the club, especially this chap.  Rolling your eyes because other players haven't read his runs is no good to us - make runs they can read or go and do it at a higher level.  If they're that good, he shouldn't have any trouble finding a club to take him on.

Anyway, tonight's definitely not about Norwood - it's about the 3 points and Big Mike.

• Like 6

Result is everything really, I stand by what I said at half time in that we were largely poor and Fondop (as well as Norwood) were ineffective.

Still a work in progress, there's few goals in Hammond and Lundstrum, Dolan made more forward passes after 5 minutes on the pitch than Conlon did in an hour, Conlan sitting on the defenders toes far too deep is becoming a real poor feature of his game, there's a real reluctance for him to run and join in with our attacks.

At times our best attacking players were too centrehalfs Monthe and Ogle who did their best to keep them out as well as show the urgency to push us on. I think Dolan provides that spark and bit of quality we miss, he'll be a player with minutes under his belt. 

It was a poor performance for me but a much needed home win, wouldn't be writing Norwood off just yet and not getting too giddy over a win against a team who were fucking awful, not sure they tested Hudson all afternoon and all they did was fucking moan, I know the ref was garbage but at least he was consistent for both teams, gave some very strange decisions. 

Big test Tuesday which I think we can win if we are just that bit braver, hopefully we won't play for a point.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'm not wishing for it, we play them next

I'm fully aware of that but the Bring them on bit sounded over confident?

I'd leave Norwood out for this one because there's a storm coming and we'll need all hands on deck.

• Like 1

Was a poor game today but 3 points is 3 points and will take that all day long.

On the subject of Norwood I fail to see what he's bringing to the team. He's been woeful since the start of the year, only half decent performance was against chesterfield. Granted he's been injured start of this season but I expect a lot more for a player who is allegedly a cut above everyone at this level and our highest paid player. Very frustrating to watch.

• Like 1

Thought we were never losing that we dominated the ball but made wrong decisions at vital moments. Lundstram burst forward a few times made wrong decisions. Norwood and Fondop did not click. However, we got the win which was important. Reckon it was a stonewall penalty at the end but he missed the one on Kitching in the first half. 

good win Monthe absolute fantastic along with Ogle who is either scoring or assisting most games. 

big game Tuesday 

• Like 2

It's all been said.  It was a laboured performance apart from a 5 minute spell around the goal. 

Still,  we manged a 1 nil win, the type that's alluded us in recent times.  Tuesday's match now becomes a good benchmark 

• Like 1