Premier league Bteam competition announced....

On 9/23/2024 at 6:40 PM, Bobledgersheart said:

Didn't say they were good as I haven't seen them play, just hope they don't visit this forum as it won't boost their self esteem much !  👎

Doubt if any youth team players will be available, they are away in the FA youth cup to AFC Liverpool the night before.

Edited by BP1960
  • Thanks 1

£5 adults or £1 for ST holders to attend. Will this tempt anyone? I’ll be honest, for a quid, i’ll probably go just to hopefully see how some of the fringe players get on. 

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

£5 adults or £1 for ST holders to attend. Will this tempt anyone? I’ll be honest, for a quid, i’ll probably go just to hopefully see how some of the fringe players get on. 

Please don't give it any legitimacy.

Best thing people can do is not turn up, ignore it, hope the NL players kick the shit out of the PL ones and that this never sees the light of day again.

• Like 4

I hope people give this a swerve, this is just the start of the greedy leagues trying to shoe horn B teams in to our structure, as has been pointed out if anyone attends it just gives it legitimacy. 

It's a no from me thanks, I wouldn't go if it were free.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, daniel said:

No.

Wouldn't open my curtains to watch this competition if it was played in my back garden.

We'll be playing the fringe players in the FA Trophy, which is a more prestigious and more legitimate competition than this.

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Whose going to take the team for this?, anyone like Hogan doing their badges?, maybe Adams or Philly if they can get a night off?.

It's a first team match for Oldham, Simon. The first team manager will be in charge, especially after the Trust's confirmation that he was involved in the decision making to take part in it...

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's a first team match for Oldham, Simon. The first team manager will be in charge, especially after the Trust's confirmation that he was involved in the decision making to take part in it...

That surprises me Patrick, didn't have him down as stupid but hey ho.

I'd imagine that's just what we need in the lead up to Barnet away.

Edited by yarddog73

12 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Does anyone actually know how you qualify. I’m sure us forest Green and Rochdale have the same teams.

We play the 4 premier league teams at home. As do the other 3 teams you mention. 

We dont play the other national league teams.

Table of 8 teams, top 2 qualify for the knock out stages. 

Thats my understanding of it. May be wrong. 

What i didnt realise is the fixtures are spread i to the new year so its roughly 1 fixture a month until january. 

Notes from the trust’s meeting with Darren Royle regards national league cup;

“We presented the results from our survey on the new National League Cup competition which 492 supporters completed. The results were overwhelmingly negative and we expressed that most fans didn’t understand what was in it for the Club in participating and were sceptical that the prize money made it worthwhile.

Darren agreed that more information needs to be provided and explained that the Club were going to put a statement out explaining the Club’s reasoning for joining the competition.  

He explained that the main benefits to the Club of playing in the National League Cup is to provide competitive games for young players to develop and provide game time for first team players like Will Sutton who currently isn’t getting enough game time. The whole Club board made the decision to join the competition, in consultation with Micky Mellon and his coaching team. Darren explained that, in the absence of a B team this season, which everyone overwhelmingly wanted, this is seen as a next best solution for a player development pathway and way of getting game time.

Darren also explained that other benefits to the Club included the opportunity to build contacts and relationships at the top academies and showcase the stadium and club to young players, with the view to loaning good young players from those academies in future.

Many supporters raised concerns about whether participation would be profitable for the Club. Darren explained that they think they’ll make money on it given all games will be played at home so no travel costs to be met, and the Premier League will be covering the medical cover costs of hosting the games and paying a fee for each match out of the £1m prize pot. Dale also mentioned that 1,500 Manchester United fans went to watch Stockport vs Manchester United’s U21 team last year so we could also see increased revenue from away fans.

Supporters also worried about the risk of injuries to first team players. Darren said that the management team will manage the risks to players but highlighted that injuries could also occur in training or in behind-closed-doors games that the Club was playing last season against Premier League U23 teams. The first team squad played a Premier League U23 team last season behind closed doors and sustained an injury, but this is a factor that has to be managed and extra games are required throughout the year to fulfil gaps for match fitness and pathway development.

Darren also explained that while early negotiations were led by the Executive of the National League, clubs were consulted before an agreement was reached and provided feedback which was acted upon by the National League. For example, changes were made so the Premier League covered the medical cover costs of hosting matches. Darren pointed out both Rochdale and Altrincham are local teams also in the 16 National League clubs that are participating.

We explained that many fans felt this undermined the rationale for scrapping FA Cup replays and would prefer to retain those. Darren explained that the Premier League clubs were the ones that scrapped those replays, not the FA or the National League. This was due to the onerous UEFA schedule. Darren also said that at the League AGM the FA presented a revamp of finances so that there is a bigger prize money pot for non-league FA Cup games this season which will more than cover the amount lost from not having FA Cup replays. He stressed that the scrapping of FA Cup replays is not related to the introduction of the National League Cup.

Dale and Darren acknowledged that the competition wouldn’t draw huge crowds at Boundary Park but said the Club would host fans if fans wanted to come. Dale explained that the Club is quickly developing its ticketing policy for this competition and asked for our feedback. We recommended that adult tickets be £5 and children either £1 or free. Dale said he is also exploring package deals for all four games and discounts for season ticket holders, but needed to check there were no competition-specific restrictions on pricing, like a minimum price.”
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Be nice to know what is happening re access to the fan bar and what the hold up is. 

Would also appreciate an update on the top floor of the JR stand and when this is likely to be used. 

Top floor of the JR stand won't be used on matchdays, last I'd heard it was being lined up to be part of some Academy or Education facility.

1 hour ago, kev1970 said:

Do we know what was said on the other topics brought up eg catering.

36 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Be nice to know what is happening re access to the fan bar and what the hold up is. 

Would also appreciate an update on the top floor of the JR stand and when this is likely to be used. 

Access to fan bar they expect to be ready for the October 5th home game, subject to SAG approval, which they are confident about. 

Catering they have a major meeting this week and should know more then on when/if it will happen. Sounds like if it happens a major infrastructure change will commence. They also stated they have taken on board the feedback regards prices and will work on this with a new caterer. 

They have acknowledged the amount of complaints regards stewarding in and around the stadium and are working with the company on addressing these issues, and apparently it’s been much better the last few games.  

Nothing else of note that I could remember.

18 hours ago, daniel said:

It's still a no from me . . .

On 9/23/2024 at 6:47 PM, BP1960 said:

Doubt if any youth team players will be available, they are away in the FA youth cup to AFC Liverpool the night before.

This fixture has now been confirmed for Friday 4th October, 8pm KO at Marine FC.

• Like 1

Only jumped in on this topic so not sure if anyone has mentioned this but even if this competition is profitable now the long-term aim of the Premier league is to get B teams into our league system.

Once they are in they won't subsidise it and it will be just a regular game, which will be the lowest crowd of the season and also will push out a recognised football club.

So it's short-sighted to just talk about it being profitable or not for this season as it is going to destroy lower league football.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Only jumped in on this topic so not sure if anyone has mentioned this but even if this competition is profitable now the long-term aim of the Premier league is to get B teams into our league system.

Once they are in they won't subsidise it and it will be just a regular game, which will be the lowest crowd of the season and also will push out a recognised football club.

So it's short-sighted to just talk about it being profitable or not for this season as it is going to destroy lower league football.

Exactly, the phrase "he who pays the piper, calls the tune" comes to mind. These "top" clubs are so overloaded with young players it is only a matter of time before the B teams are plying their trade in the pyramid. We need to stand up and be counted. 

26 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

It works in Spain, dunnit...?

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Does it? I will be honest I don't have any knowledge of the Spanish football system, but it doesn't feel right to me. What are the advantages to the B teams if you don't mind me asking. 

39 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Exactly this. If they just announced that B teams would be entering the leagues at the expense of other clubs then there would be uproar. But introduce them slowly, starting off with pointless cup comps and the next step then doesn't seem so drastic.

26 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Exactly, the phrase "he who pays the piper, calls the tune" comes to mind. These "top" clubs are so overloaded with young players it is only a matter of time before the B teams are plying their trade in the pyramid. We need to stand up and be counted. 

Yep. Fix the problem of these youngsters not getting enough game time by limiting the number of youth players clubs are allowed to have on their books. Then they'll be distributed around the other 80 odd professional football clubs. If the premier league teams want a player in future, then they pay them a fair price.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They have B teams in their leagues yes, but I have no idea if it works or how long they have been in their leagues so it might be traditional for them to be in there.

Other countries leagues don't have the depth like we do as most have low crowds anyway even in their second divisions.

Also there are two B teams in the Lowland League in Scotland (Celtic and Hearts) , Rangers used to be in there but dropped out this year but I don't know the reason.