Premier league Bteam competition announced....

Some are overreacting to this in my opinion. It’s a crap competition I agree but we have to trust that MM will play a majority of fringe players and youth.

The sad thing is that, even if the ticket prices are rock bottom it will be extremely poorly attended.

47 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Some are overreacting to this in my opinion. It’s a crap competition I agree but we have to trust that MM will play a majority of fringe players and youth.

The sad thing is that, even if the ticket prices are rock bottom it will be extremely poorly attended.

The basis of my reaction Big is 1) It says " first teams" of NL clubs, so likely have to be a minimum number of players who have featured, for example, in the last 3 leagues games ( or a similar rule) and 2) everyone at the club should have a focussed aim on getting promotion this time around.

This is a massive distraction from that. The manager shouldn't have to be preparing for additional match days etc.

It's a futile exercise IMO and could do considerable damage just when we are starting to see some green shoots of recovery on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

The basis of my reaction Big is 1) It says " first teams" of NL clubs, so likely have to be a minimum number of players who have featured, for example, in the last 3 leagues games ( or a similar rule) and 2) everyone at the club should have a focussed aim on getting promotion this time around.

This is a massive distraction from that. The manager shouldn't have to be preparing for additional match days etc.

It's a futile exercise IMO and could do considerable damage just when we are starting to see some green shoots of recovery on the pitch.

Bit hysterical.

1 hour ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

How is it meaningless? On that account you could call the National League meaningless .. as it's non-league. 

No-one will watch it and it is a complete waste of time. The National League isn't meaningless because it is a way back into the football league. Playing in pointless patronising trophies like this and risking our players getting injured means getting back into the football league is more difficult.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Bit hysterical.

Not hysteria deyres but deliberately used a level of hyperbole to match the level of stupidity in entering this competition. Let's see what benefits or downsides the competition brings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

How is it meaningless? On that account you could call the National League meaningless .. as it's non-league. 

Which is exactly why we should be doing our utmost to get out of it asap. Entering another meaningless competition makes no sense at all!

18 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Royle apparently going round telling people yesterday that we get £10,000 a game for it and we can chuck the reserves in...

Fantastic news.

Hopefully that quietens down the 'this competition could cost us promotion lads'

Could go as far as saying that this competition will win us promotion

Having a match fit Garner, Hogan, Sutton, Reid & all the other bench warmers ready to step in when needed can only be a good thing ..

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Royle apparently going round telling people yesterday that we get £10,000 a game for it and we can chuck the reserves in...

If that’s true and I’ve no reason to believe otherwise then I’m all for it….we are clearly lacking competitive games for our fringe players and youngsters.

No idea if true but it would be good if those who are completely outraged went off and checked 

• Like 1

He will because he's looking like a Grade A bellend agreeing to it.

It's hassle we don't need as demonstrated by the more forward thinking clubs in our division. 

Let's see who we put out then and how beneficial it actually is, it amazes me that they are chasing after 10k, they turned Chesterfields request for a further 2000 tickets down last season which could potentially have yielded more.

I'll guarantee these fixtures will cost money to put on they won't get enough on the gate to cover the electric, it's an embarrassment. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

No idea if true but it would be good if those who are completely outraged went off and checked 

I tried checking on the day but couldn’t find any tournament rules anywhere beyond the headline stuff released. Still can’t see anything. 

I would be absolutely staggered if we’re free to play 11 reserves/kids in these games. This competition has not been introduced to help national league teams give game time to back up players. It’s been introduced purely to benefit the premier league clubs.

There’s more to the outrage than potential injury to our players. Agreeing to helping premier league teams increase their stranglehold on young footballers in exchange for a few quid is outrageous enough. 

9 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I tried checking on the day but couldn’t find any tournament rules anywhere beyond the headline stuff released. Still can’t see anything. 

I would be absolutely staggered if we’re free to play 11 reserves/kids in these games. This competition has not been introduced to help national league teams give game time to back up players. It’s been introduced purely to benefit the premier league clubs.

There’s more to the outrage than potential injury to our players. Agreeing to helping premier league teams increase their stranglehold on young footballers in exchange for a few quid is outrageous enough. 

I'm not suggesting I support it but I do like to debate facts rather than knee jerk reactions. The onus is on the club to make facts available 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm not suggesting I support it but I do like to debate facts rather than knee jerk reactions. The onus is on the club to make facts available 

Good point, if the club were to tell us that it will be our senior young players and Fringe players making up the team it may have an impact on attendances. As it stands the majority of fans see a promotion challenge as our main aim, we don't need the 1st choice players getting crocked in a meaningless game. 

9 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I see it more as a clumsy sweetener to mitigate the loss of FA Cup replays.

30 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Good point, if the club were to tell us that it will be our senior young players and Fringe players making up the team it may have an impact on attendances. As it stands the majority of fans see a promotion challenge as our main aim, we don't need the 1st choice players getting crocked in a meaningless game. 

It's not even that they get crocked it's just a distraction not needed, it will disrupt training given those involved will probably be given a Wednesday or Thursday off, at the minute Mellon has a tight group on the training ground and that's obvious with the way he's got us playing, why would we disrupt that for meaningless fixtures, who would we actually play in the competition then player wise I see it as;

Norman

Maloney

Hogan

Doro

Sutton

Moore 

Reid

I literally wouldn't want anyone else involved, Moore is due back from Nantwich this week which makes sense but even he and any of those I've listed above would be better served by moving on or even going out on loan, we've no Academy as such now and our younger players would be way off this level and that's before you look at the fact they have their own fixtures to fulfil, we've got 20 outfield players at the minute with 16 needed for a matchday squad plus keepers, it's an ideal amount.

Other factor to consider is whose going to take the team Mellon/Brabin should be focusing 100% on the League and building towards the Saturday not preparing a team for this, last I looked Adams was still turning out for Radcliffe and Philliskirk is playing for Southport.

Finally morally this competition is so wrong not least because our own directors have come out and been so critical about losing our Academy status and given pretty valid reasoning behind that, to then go and support this idea just smacks of hypocrisy and stupidity.

Royle batting it off as a non event is exactly what he should have done sat round a table with his cronies at the NL executive, all those clubs represented and sat on the board have agreed to play in the competition barring Timothy Murphy from Sollihull who probably values his clubs ambition over feathering his nest, if I were Royle I'd suggest his time would be better served on the day job and doing what's best for Oldham Athletic which he appears to be losing sight of given we couldn't sell hospitality at the weekend despite sitting in the playoffs and unbeaten at home this season.

The fact he and the club have gone mute tells you all you need to know about this monumental fuck up and I would suggest in future he gauges the mood and feeling of the fanbase before pushing through these ludicrous proposals in his autocratic style, if he doesn't want to involve the customer and takes that for granted then fine but don't moan when many of them then start to feel disenfranchised and turn off which is obviously the case at the minute given the slump in corporate hospitality and crowds despite having our most successful start to a season for decades.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I agree re debating facts but I think we have plenty to go on to make an informed opinion now. If we're waiting to hear exactly what the financial rewards are or what the rules will be about who has to play, even then we can make fairly reasonable assumptions. Will the rewards be greater than what EFL teams get in the trophy? Will the rules be any less strict than in the EFL trophy? I'd guess no to both of those.

But even if we are allowed to play anyone in these games, there are still other really important factors that brings into question how much of a benefit that is. As @yarddog73 has laid out in his post, there is a lot more involved than just which players end up on the pitch. The first game is 1/2 October. We're away at Ebbsfleet on Saturday evening (so won't be back til gone midnight probably), then have Solihull at home the next Saturday. Solihull aren't in the competion so will have had all week to train and prepare as normal. We've deliberately introduced an additional fixture in between. So the coaching staff instead of preparing for the full week for a saturday game will have to take a midweek game as well. Even if no first team players are involved (which is almost certainly not going to be the case), we've handed a preparation advantage to play off rivals.

That's before even getting into whether it is a good thing for a club like us, who will never be a regular premier league team, to be voluntarily participating in schemes that give more advantages to premier league clubs looking to hoard young players.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Pointless competition that the overwhelming majority of fans won’t give a toss about, where participation will surely cost the club financially. 

Not much else to say is there? 

There's no way we'd agree to do this at a loss.  We'll be getting money from the Premier League clubs to do it.

If we're making money out of it and can play who we want, I don't have a massive issue with it.  We used to play in the Pontins League with a smaller squad.  

The game time will be useful for quite a few.  They might pick up injuries, but they can easily pick up injuries in training..

Edited by JoeP

17 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I’d be very very surprised if we don’t have to play first team players. Prem care about prem, they are not going to be happy about playing our rejects and crap youth players.

Bit harsh on our youth team, but unlike you I haven't seen them play....................

8 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Bit harsh on our youth team, but unlike you I haven't seen them play....................

Given only two or three ever get taken in and very few have gone on to good careers in recent years it's a fair bet that the standards isn't great 

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

It's not even that they get crocked it's just a distraction not needed, it will disrupt training given those involved will probably be given a Wednesday or Thursday off, at the minute Mellon has a tight group on the training ground and that's obvious with the way he's got us playing, why would we disrupt that for meaningless fixtures, who would we actually play in the competition then player wise I see it as;

Norman

Maloney

Hogan

Doro

Sutton

Moore 

Reid

I literally wouldn't want anyone else involved, Moore is due back from Nantwich this week which makes sense but even he and any of those I've listed above would be better served by moving on or even going out on loan, we've no Academy as such now and our younger players would be way off this level and that's before you look at the fact they have their own fixtures to fulfil, we've got 20 outfield players at the minute with 16 needed for a matchday squad plus keepers, it's an ideal amount.

Other factor to consider is whose going to take the team Mellon/Brabin should be focusing 100% on the League and building towards the Saturday not preparing a team for this, last I looked Adams was still turning out for Radcliffe and Philliskirk is playing for Southport.

Finally morally this competition is so wrong not least because our own directors have come out and been so critical about losing our Academy status and given pretty valid reasoning behind that, to then go and support this idea just smacks of hypocrisy and stupidity.

Royle batting it off as a non event is exactly what he should have done sat round a table with his cronies at the NL executive, all those clubs represented and sat on the board have agreed to play in the competition barring Timothy Murphy from Sollihull who probably values his clubs ambition over feathering his nest, if I were Royle I'd suggest his time would be better served on the day job and doing what's best for Oldham Athletic which he appears to be losing sight of given we couldn't sell hospitality at the weekend despite sitting in the playoffs and unbeaten at home this season.

The fact he and the club have gone mute tells you all you need to know about this monumental fuck up and I would suggest in future he gauges the mood and feeling of the fanbase before pushing through these ludicrous proposals in his autocratic style, if he doesn't want to involve the customer and takes that for granted then fine but don't moan when many of them then start to feel disenfranchised and turn off which is obviously the case at the minute given the slump in corporate hospitality and crowds despite having our most successful start to a season for decades.

Maybe we can play Adams and Philliskirk on dual registrations?😄

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Given only two or three ever get taken in and very few have gone on to good careers in recent years it's a fair bet that the standards isn't great 

Didn't say they were good as I haven't seen them play, just hope they don't visit this forum as it won't boost their self esteem much !  👎