Premier league Bteam competition announced....

43 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

It might not outweigh other factors, but you can't dismiss the possibility it has improved the national sides just because you don't like the idea.

I don't think Dave_Og dismissed it as such but what he did do is actually pinpoint the reasons for the improvement.

The impact of the EFL on England's EURO 2024 squad: https://www.efl.com/news/2024/june/15/england-s-euro-2024-squad---a-look-at-the-efl-numbers/

A mix of League Cup, EFL Trophy, Loans, and simply career progression. Seems as though the EFL Trophy gave many of the players their "senior debut". To be honest, did not expect that many players to have made an appearance in the comp, but they have. 

Cole Palmer made three EFL trophy appearances, so highly doubt this really made much of a difference. Then you have Marc Guehi, who made seven appearances before he went on loan to Swansea for a season and a half. When he made nearly 59 appearances for them. So it could've helped him secure that next step. 

The improvement of the England team has also coincided with the development of St George's Park, and better coaching, different philosophy etc. So I personally believe this has more relevance. 

At the end of the day, the EFL Trophy and now this competition is basically saying our club is equal to that of an U23 team. If you are happy with that, so be it. I doubt the football league/national league would unanimously vote to allow "b teams" to compete directly in the league, but these competitions leave me feeling as though this is the end goal of the PL. I guess it is up to if you think that is good for football and the English pyramid system. Personally, I do not. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Number of finals reached by England senior sides before U21/3 teams entered the Football League Trophy = 0

Number of finals reached by England senior sides since U21/3 teams entered the Football League Trophy -4.

By “senior sides” most people would understand the England first XI, as opposed to the junior age teams. Ergo, the answer to your first question should maybe be 1, and the answer to your second question, 2. 

The recent success of the senior team on the world stage can be attributed to a number of factors, albeit a question remains as to why the actual trophy wins at junior level are yet to be repeated at senior level. What cannot be denied is that anyone arguing that allowing PL U21 teams to compete against lower league sides in knockout comps is a contributory factor to the improved performances of the senior England team needs their head examined.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

By “senior sides” most people would understand the England first XI, as opposed to the junior age teams. Ergo, the answer to your first question should maybe be 1, and the answer to your second question, 2. 

The recent success of the senior team on the world stage can be attributed to a number of factors, albeit a question remains as to why the actual trophy wins at junior level are yet to be repeated at senior level. What cannot be denied is that anyone arguing that allowing PL U21 teams to compete against lower league sides in knockout comps is a contributory factor to the improved performances of the senior England team needs their head examined.

Er, I think you are forgetting the fantastic recent successes of the women's senior team...

15 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

There's always been former non league players in the England team like Jamie Vardy and Chris Waddle so if they have the ability and desire they can come from any background. 

Edited by BP1960

I was listening to the Ebbsfleet manager’s post match presser. It highlighted to ne how much of a hindrance to smaller squads this will be, as they greedily ate up the bit of pocket change on offer. Two more injuries last night means he’s forced to play basically the majority of his first team when they play West Brom kids this week. Four+ matches like this on a lot of the teams may just contribute to the fine margins when we’re facing more tired teams later in in the campaign. I couldn’t help noticing how much fitter we looked against that rabble last night. Could be the way our  board are viewing this competition, expecting it won’t affect us as soon as we go up anyway. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Rules clarified in today's non league paper. 

NL clubs have to start 4 players who played in the previous league match league or in the next match. 

So what team would you pick? 

Moloney, Sutton, Raglan, Hobson, Doro, Gardner, Moore, Hammond, Dolan, Kay, Garner

Hobson, Gardner & Garner played at Ebbsfleet, Raglan will play against Solihull 😃

34 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Moloney, Sutton, Raglan, Hobson, Doro, Gardner, Moore, Hammond, Dolan, Kay, Garner

Hobson, Gardner & Garner played at Ebbsfleet, Raglan will play against Solihull 😃

Charsley might be in contention for a run out?

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Rules clarified in today's non league paper. 

NL clubs have to start 4 players who played in the previous league match league or in the next match. 

So what team would you pick? 

I'd just pick all the youth team and sod the rules, what are they going to do to us? Kick us out of the competition?! 😅

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

56 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Charsley might be in contention for a run out?

Charsley maybe but probably still a week or two away - but if you add Stretton and Uchegbulam to the eleven we’ve got it covered 👍

23 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Charsley maybe but probably still a week or two away - but if you add Stretton and Uchegbulam to the eleven we’ve got it covered 👍

Charsley travelled with the squad and took part in the warm ups, and MM said he was now fit. I wouldn’t risk him for this competition personally, as he’d be straight back in the 11 next Saturday for me. I can understand the argument to get him some minutes but not for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, daniel said:

Charsley travelled with the squad and took part in the warm ups, and MM said he was now fit. I wouldn’t risk him for this competition personally, as he’d be straight back in the 11 next Saturday for me. I can understand the argument to get him some minutes but not for me. 

Who gets dropped?

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Who gets dropped?

Khan. 
Charsley is 1 of the 1st on the team sheet for me. I can make a case for him being our best player so far this season, along with the likes of Raglan, Monthe and Fondop. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

Khan. 
Charsley is 1 of the 1st on the team sheet for me. I can make a case for him being our best player so far this season, along with the likes of Raglan, Monthe and Fondop. 

Yep Conlon, Charsley and Lundstram isn't half bad for a midfield.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, daniel said:

Khan. 

Great news about Charsley, agree he was one of our best and most important players before the injury.