MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

33 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Was working tonight, so missed the game. 

How did Norwood play? Someone on Twitter saying Garner showed more in ten minutes than Nors did all game? 

Norwood headed on for Fondop's brilliantly taken goal, he was caught in possession far too often and made little impact. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Finally, we're on to something 

A winning run

One thing I’ve taken from the last couple of games is we actually look organised. The defence today were superb. Although all over the pitch we looked decent. 

4 minutes ago, True Tic said:

One thing I’ve taken from the last couple of games is we actually look organised. The defence today were superb. Although all over the pitch we looked decent. 

It's all falling into place and it's beautiful to see

9 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Absolute colossus performance down the defence. Mellon got his team selection spot. Hobson came in an won everything. Forest green were a really good passing team and loved it around well.

Cracking goal from Fondop. Mellon reacted and made changes and went 4-4-2 which helped our shape. Despite all their possession they rarely threatened Hudson. 

Big three points, let’s not do a typical Latics and get beat off the bottom of the league. 

Yep, credit Mellon for change of personnel and formation when it looked like we might get overrun  for 20-odd minutes of 2nd half. Tremendous effort from the squad and an enjoyable game between two good sides. 

Think you can tell that Norwood, Garner  and Dolan missed our pre-season and they will improve as the weeks go on. Charsley and  Kay will add depth when they return.

There are things we can do better, but I  like the  dogged determination after some of the weak-willed stuff we've had to endure in the past.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Might go against the grain on here but I thought Norwood had his best game for some time, that win was built from the front tonight with a terrific press, thought we were the better team first half and the last 20 minutes, saying that FG look tidy and will definitely be in the mix but take nothing away from the lads who showed immense character. 

Hudson made a couple of neat saves but is reluctant to come for the high ball, may have been the tactic to let the big lads contest the headers but a couple of times I'd have liked him to clean the lot out and claim one.

Raglan, Hobson and Monthe all stood up well to the battle, Kitching back to his best and offering a bit more than Jez at the minute, Ogle what can I say, Fondop voted MOM but this man is something else and someone we've been desperate for he was my MOM tonight.

Conlon a lot more involved alongside Lundstrum who put himself about a bit tonight so fair play to him for that, Dolan again showed glimpses of what's to come, he just seems to have that touch of class about him and he'll get better, still leaning back on the shot mind.

Norwood had a good game and Mikey was immense, particularly in our box defending corners, that finish though was sweet and rounded off a great team move.

Last but not least Mellon who without trying to sound patronising went for it, Garner and Jez for Hobson and Norwood was a brave shout but it was tactically astute and took the pressure right off us, all our subs improved us which is a sign of a strong squad with still a couple to come back in.

Great atmosphere, Tuesday night under the lights you can't beat it, let's hope it's the start of something special, it's certainly starting to feel that way, crowd played a big part last 10 getting that over the line.

Spot on, Yarddog73 👍

Phycologically that feels like a big win. You can tell by the way the players and the fans celebrated at the end it feels like its a hurdle crossed. We worked really hard all the defenders were excellent today but everyone put in a shift it was a real team effort.

Credit to Mellon aswell mid way through the second half it felt like the game was slipping away from us and it felt like an equaliser was coming but the switch to 4-4-2 and bringing in Garner for Norwood (who I thought looked alot more like his old self 1st half but tired 2nd half) stemmed the flow.

Finally I thought the atmosphere in the 2nd half was excellent their is something special about  Boundary Park under the lights in games like that and I think the crowd particularly in the RRE helped get the team over the line.

Proper chuffed with that everyone played their part 3 wins on the bounce for the thunderbastard promotion chasing blues. 

I'm getting a stiffy

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 7

Important result. Really solid performance. Interesting how many different players have been picked out by posters as having good games. An indicator of how good the performance was. For me it was Raglan, Fondop and Ogle who stood out. Special mention to Hudson for developing that life threatening ankle injury when we were under the cosh which coincidentally allowed us to have a breather and a regroup. Also to Mellon. As soon as he went 442 their no 7 was covered by Kitching and they ran into the buffers. Good night all round.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Might go against the grain on here but I thought Norwood had his best game for some time, that win was built from the front tonight with a terrific press, thought we were the better team first half and the last 20 minutes, saying that FG look tidy and will definitely be in the mix but take nothing away from the lads who showed immense character. 

Hudson made a couple of neat saves but is reluctant to come for the high ball, may have been the tactic to let the big lads contest the headers but a couple of times I'd have liked him to clean the lot out and claim one.

Raglan, Hobson and Monthe all stood up well to the battle, Kitching back to his best and offering a bit more than Jez at the minute, Ogle what can I say, Fondop voted MOM but this man is something else and someone we've been desperate for he was my MOM tonight.

Conlon a lot more involved alongside Lundstrum who put himself about a bit tonight so fair play to him for that, Dolan again showed glimpses of what's to come, he just seems to have that touch of class about him and he'll get better, still leaning back on the shot mind.

Norwood had a good game and Mikey was immense, particularly in our box defending corners, that finish though was sweet and rounded off a great team move.

Last but not least Mellon who without trying to sound patronising went for it, Garner and Jez for Hobson and Norwood was a brave shout but it was tactically astute and took the pressure right off us, all our subs improved us which is a sign of a strong squad with still a couple to come back in.

Great atmosphere, Tuesday night under the lights you can't beat it, let's hope it's the start of something special, it's certainly starting to feel that way, crowd played a big part last 10 getting that over the line.

Not going against the grain at all. Spot on. Anyone saying Norwood was crap is watching with their eyes closed and basing their opinions with a minority who think he cannot be arsed and doesn’t want to be here. They’ll never give him any credit. It wasn’t a perfect performance from him but he gave the ball away as much as Fondop, who slipped in possession 3 times in the 1st half, which hasn’t once been mentioned! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, astottie said:

Important result. Really solid performance. Interesting how many different players have been picked out by posters as having good games. An indicator of how good the performance was. For me it was Raglan, Fondop and Ogle who stood out. Special mention to Hudson for developing that life threatening ankle injury when we were under the cosh which coincidentally allowed us to have a breather and a regroup. Also to Mellon. As soon as he went 442 their no 7 was covered by Kitching and they ran into the buffers. Good night all round.

We did the exact same with Hudson going down injured at Woking….. It was even more obvious down there as Maloney stay seated and didn’t even attempt a warm up, at least tonight he jogged up the touchline once or twice 😂

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

Not going against the grain at all. Spot on. Anyone saying Norwood was crap is watching with their eyes closed and basing their opinions with a minority who think he cannot be arsed and doesn’t want to be here. They’ll never give him any credit. It wasn’t a perfect performance from him but he gave the ball away as much as Fondop, who slipped in possession 3 times in the 1st half, which hasn’t once been mentioned! 

Norwood chased well but lost the ball too many times.....defensively we're sound only conceded 1 in the last 3 which was a worldy, we need that bit more in the final 3rd to put teams away

• Like 4

1 minute ago, oldham57 said:

Norwood chased well but lost the ball too many times.....defensively we're sound only conceded 1 in the last 3 which was a worldy, we need that bit more in the final 3rd to put teams away

No better time to get our goal difference supercharged than Saturday, playing bottom of the league, minus 15 GD Ebbsfleet on’t telly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daniel said:

Works both ways Dan- some will never criticise him. He’s above it for some bizarre reason. Always some reason why he hasn’t been at his best, but it’s never about his own game. 

It’s a minority in your opinion. Yet on here tonight, a few have said he did well, a few have said he didn’t. I’d say everyone is in universal agreement on his quality. It’s very split on whether he gets the most of out of his ability for us. 

If he’s played well tonight- fair enough.  We need his quality, and long maybit continue. 

Plenty of times he’s been a passenger. 

By way of comparison. Mikey is nowhere near as good a player but has and is contributing more to the team. If Nors consistently matches Mikey’s desire we’ve got the best striker in the league. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I should acknowledge that my post a few minutes after this one wasn't just copying this, it's just that you got there first and covered everything I said and more but you are spot on here.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 minute ago, ghost of Leonard said:

Thats a great win against a decent side.

There is a team spirit beginning to show and that's a real positive now.

Not getting carried away but feel much better than 3 weeks ago.

It's still early days with three-quarters of the season to go but I  think we can see what Mellon has been on about for almost 12 months.

He wanted to start building a squad which would battle and which fans could identify with and support "through all the good and bad times".

He has warned that there will still be ups and downs but I think we are beginning to see that MM really does know what good looks like..... and that support in the last 10-15 minutes tonight was crucial. 

Not getting carried away, but I  hope there is a bond developing with this squad. 

Performances,  individually and collectively, can/must improve--and there will undoubtedly be disappointments along the way -- but do we sense this sleeping giant is slowly waking up?

• Like 1