MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

This keeps getting mentioned. 

He has been injured twice. 

Once last season and was out about six weeks. Came back and played every game. 

Then again in pre- season.

Against Alty he was subbed (I think his second game back) after 60 minutes and he wasn’t happy. Micky said in post match presser, James is a fit lad and wasn’t happy at coming off but we need to be careful. 

For a 34 year old his appearance and fitness record is actually good. 

but deteriorating

30 minutes ago, daniel said:

I don’t personally know MM but I believe he rates a fit Norwood and Garner ahead of Fondop, and then if another comes in would also be ahead (as otherwise whats the point in signing them). 

Mellon might rate Norwood and Garner above Fondop on ability, a lot of people probably would. But I don't think that would extend to dropping Fondop on a regular basis in favour of the others if that negatively affects the team and our form. 

I think we have 3 strikers competing now which is a good thing. We'll probably sign another. But Fondop is earning the right to start and to play a key role in our winning run. I just don't think Mellon would bin him off if the others couldn't do the same.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Mellon knows he is the only one capable of scoring consistently. 

Mikey is currently 1 in 2. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The lad missed pre season completely, you can’t just recover from that at his age. He won’t get up to speed for a fair few months, only way is to give him minutes. 

That contradicts your first point. How will he be only one we can consistently rely on, if it takes him months to get up-to speed? 

25 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm sure he was talking in the plural. Irrelevant as they never looked like scoring in the second half 

Yes I think he did. I just put that into the half of the interview where he was talking nonsense,  along with they totally dominated the game.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, daniel said:

Fully agree with you here, which i’ve stated already in this thread. Norwood hasn’t been the signing I thought he’d be, but the fact is he had no pre-season at all, and as soon as he was fit enough to play any part MM has started him in every game but 1. Suggesting he is our number 1 striker. 

Apart from his flick on to Fondop for the goal, he wasn't really affecting the game yet when Garner was given his chance, you could see the complete opposite.

No doubting Norwoods ability but we can't get over sentimental about his glorious past, we need whatever best he's got left to make an appearance 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Mikey is currently 1 in 2. 

That contradicts your first point. How will he be only one we can consistently rely on, if it takes him months to get up-to speed? 

Mikey has never scored more than 11 goals in a season ? So we are relying on him having his best ever season, which is possible. 

If we can get Norwood firing, we will be in a much better position. Mellon knows this. In the meantime, we have to be patient with him. 

3 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Apart from his flick on to Fondop for the goal, he wasn't really affecting the game yet when Garner was given his chance, you could see the complete opposite.

No doubting Norwoods ability but we can't get over sentimental about his glorious past, we need whatever best he's got left to make an appearance 

I disagree. You could see FGR wanted to play out from the back, but Norwood (and the wide men) worked his bollocks off to prevent that, resulting in their keeper or centre back having to go long, particularly first half. Second half they changed their approach and doubled up out wide, giving them more options. Micky changed our shape to 442, which looked like it'd leave us vulnerable in the middle, but meant we had extra cover on the flanks - this necessitated us going a bit more direct, which suited Garner more than Norwood, partly explaining the switch. We had a game plan, and adapted it to the situation. A good night's work all round.

• Like 8

Norwood and Fondop linked up well last night. Both gave the ball away at times, but both worked hard for the team. 

Garner came on and took a lot of pressure away from the team by winning free kicks and the ball stuck to him more. There was a 20/25min period in the second half when we couldn’t keep the ball or string a pass together. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

I disagree. You could see FGR wanted to play out from the back, but Norwood (and the wide men) worked his bollocks off to prevent that, resulting in their keeper or centre back having to go long, particularly first half. Second half they changed their approach and doubled up out wide, giving them more options. Micky changed our shape to 442, which looked like it'd leave us vulnerable in the middle, but meant we had extra cover on the flanks - this necessitated us going a bit more direct, which suited Garner more than Norwood, partly explaining the switch. We had a game plan, and adapted it to the situation. A good night's work all round.

Completely agree. Unsure why people are insisting Norwood didn’t put effort in, he ran a lot. 

Dolan had a prime opportunity to play Norwood in, but decided to shoot wide, again. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Completely agree. Unsure why people are insisting Norwood didn’t put effort in, he ran a lot. 

Dolan had a prime opportunity to play Norwood in, but decided to shoot wide, again. 

Ha I was sat in front of a mate of his, who spent the whole half time break talking his dad (I assume  - @Pauld2019?) through how it'd gone. Think he gave quite a rosy view... 

35 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This keeps getting mentioned. 

He has been injured twice. 

Once last season and was out about six weeks. Came back and played every game. 

Then again in pre- season.

Against Alty he was subbed (I think his second game back) after 60 minutes and he wasn’t happy. Micky said in post match presser, James is a fit lad and wasn’t happy at coming off but we need to be careful. 

For a 34 year old his appearance and fitness record is actually good. 

Doesnt really look after himself off the pitch though does he?

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Mikey has never scored more than 11 goals in a season ? So we are relying on him having his best ever season, which is possible. 

I don’t know how he was used at other clubs. But with us, I feel like he’s always been seen as a last resort or needs must. We’ve signed and let go several strikers and he’s still here. Last season was the most he was used (which still wasn’t every game by any jeans)  and he got 9. Again this season, the feeling he’s playing as a needs must is there, but in his most most consistent starting period he’s scored 1 in 2. Amazing what happens when he’s given consistent starts. . . 

13 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If we can get Norwood firing, we will be in a much better position. Mellon knows this. In the meantime, we have to be patient with him. 

Agreed. No debate that if he’s firing we’ll be much better for it. The question is- if. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

I don’t know how he was used at other clubs. But with us, I feel like he’s always been seen as a last resort or needs must. We’ve signed and let go several strikers and he’s still here. Last season was the most he was used (which still wasn’t every game by any jeans)  and he got 9. Again this season, the feeling he’s playing as a needs must is there, but in his most most consistent starting period he’s scored 1 in 2. Amazing what happens when he’s given consistent starts. . . 

Agreed. No debate that if he’s firing we’ll be much better for it. The question is- if. 

I hope Mikey keeps scoring, he also made some crucial headers in the box and battled very well last night. I believe we wanted Quigley as his replacement and I’m glad we stuck with Mikey based on last night alone. 

On Norwood, I think you are slightly underestimating the impact of missing a pre season. In a recent discussion on stick it to football the subject was brought up. All the former players commented on the fact, if you miss a pre season it can impact you for the entire season and you never really get fully fit. This is further impacted by age. 

We all need to be patient with both Garner and Norwood. We will need them both. 

55 minutes ago, daniel said:

Playing devil’s advocate, we go and sign Stones (I wish the rumours would go away, but they aren’t, so it’s clear to me we still want to sign a striker), that’s likely to be Norwood and Stones 1 and 2, leaving Garner and Fondop for 3 and 4. Not everytime, and obviously game situation dependant but for me MM beings on Garner before Mikey as a substitute. 

If we need a goal its fondop

If we are defending a slender lead and need to see a game out its garner

25 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Doesnt really look after himself off the pitch though does he?

Really not sure how you can possibly say that as a factual statement without personally knowing him, which I presume you do not? 

Can't complain about Norwood's effort closing down or his flick on for the goal but thought his touch and decision making was poor. He lost the ball many times and failed to put Kitching? in with the simplest of passes.

Obviously the lack of a pre-season isn't helping ( he seems fit enough ) but he needs to find top form pretty quickly if we are to continue progressing. 

17 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Cotterill  comes across as a right knob in that interview regardless of the fact that some of his observations were correct. 

He was hurting and he was correct about the second half in particular - FG came out much faster and stronger than us - they moved the ball around quickly and did dominate… but for all their dominance, they did not really hurt us and Latics defended the lead very well.

Not our greatest performance but it shows how strong our teamwork ethic is right now.

I was mightily relieved when only five minutes were added and even more so when the final whistle went 😮

Anyway I'm not getting the deserved credit for our 3 wins after putting us to lose all 3 in the prediction league!!! Talk about taking one for the team. Not superstitious or anything but fingers crossed I can take us to promotion even if I get relegated 🤣.

• Like 3