MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

Pre season probably mattered 40 years ago when they were all eating fry ups and pies and chugging 10 pints a day, these days there's no way the bit of extra fitness work you did in June makes any difference come November let alone the second half of the season.

Fondop is one of the first names at the team sheet at the moment.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Punce said:

Enjoyed the game,  thought I could not be happier.   But Cotterill has put the icing on the cake for me.   Brilliant.   😊

I’ve always thought he has come across as a prick! This cements my opinion of him. 

• Like 1

Really enjoyable game to watch. It had that top of the table feel to it, played at an intense level. FGR are the best footballing side I’ve seen for a while, though that doesn’t guarantee you the points. 
Loved the high press from ours, especially first half, giving them no time to settle, and again when Khan and Garner came on.

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Pre season probably mattered 40 years ago when they were all eating fry ups and pies and chugging 10 pints a day, these days there's no way the bit of extra fitness work you did in June makes any difference come November let alone the second half of the season.

Fondop is one of the first names at the team sheet at the moment.

Probably one of the most incorrect things you have ever said. Well done. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Just a side thought, we bear the hallmarks of a side that could go on a cup run..

4th qualifying round draw will be this Monday

Regionalised draw so could be drawn against the likes of Wythenshaw, Buxton, Macclesfield, Scunthorpe etc

31 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Regionalised draw so could be drawn against the likes of Wythenshaw, Buxton, Macclesfield, Scunthorpe etc

Home draw please, a team from outside the Conference for a bit of variety, so not Chester, Radcliffe or the Warringtons either (if still in the comp)

27 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't cry cos your boy is being shown up by a Conference player.

I don’t care who misses pre season. 

Your statement that pre season makes no difference to a players fitness is just incorrect. You are just making rubbish up. 

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not really Ste given it is something that cannot be proven with facts.

So you, a random bloke on a football forum have a more informed opinion than the entirety of football. 

You can’t genuinely believe what you are saying 😂.

We must be winning games. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

So you, a random bloke on a football forum have a more informed opinion than the entirety of football. 

You can’t genuinely believe what you are saying 😂.

We must be winning games. 

The fitness blag is big business these days, lots of money to be made trading on the naivety of others.

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

We all need to be patient with both Garner and Norwood. We will need them both.

It is OK saying this when we are winning by comfortable margins-but 1-0 wins mean patience is a commodity we don't have.

To continue this talk about fitness. How about a shout out for the improvement in Fondops fitness? Many times last year there were comments about him blowing early in games-not this season and he is certainly putting in the miles.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Dolan looks "tidy" but we need him to be abit more than that we need him to be a magic man who creates and scores fairly regularly if hes going to play the number 10 role in the team. You could say that some of the others aren't magic men either but the likes of Charsley and Hammond give us abit more off the ball interms of runs and pressing.

I said yesterday he gets himself into some great positions but when he goes to shoot he leans far back causing his shots to fly over 

2 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I said yesterday he gets himself into some great positions but when he goes to shoot he leans far back causing his shots to fly over 

A very odd fault for a professional player at any level to have.  And they're not flying over by a foot, more like twenty yards!

4 hours ago, daniel said:

I’m not totally disagreeing with you, but football and life in general can be unfair. Rightly or wrongly you’re not having Fondop in ahead of a fit James Norwood, that is my opinion, but I also think it would be MM’s opinion too. 
Lets not forget Fondop has it in him to be as awful as anybody. He is very hit and miss.

Think we're often coloured by how wholesome and heart warming Fondop is. It's a bit like the Ernie Cooksey situation in that he's a player who gives his all, runs through brick walls, wins hearts and minds which counterbalances his lack of positional awareness, composure when given time / space and discipline. 

To be fair, Fondop is improving on some of these elements of his game. He's clearly taken on board what the management are giving him. But I tend to agree a little with you in that I don't think MM will use him to spearhead our attack once we bring a new striker in (possibly Stones) to partner Norwood.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

He often just hits them too hard too when the correct option is a side-footed firm pass into the goal. I like his tenacity though.

22 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

To continue this talk about fitness. How about a shout out for the improvement in Fondops fitness? Many times last year there were comments about him blowing early in games-not this season and he is certainly putting in the miles.

Totally. He could be in line for the best season of his career which would be brilliant for us and a credit to him and the coaching staff.

Plus, you might also say he's had the benefit of a full and rigorous pre season! 😀

• Like 4