MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

1 hour ago, Hometownclub said:

Jeez, what a bitter outburst. Reminds me of Karl Robinson after we beat MK Dons a few years ago, brilliant 😀

Hopefully it's not the last bitter outburst that we here either from opposition managers fans or players. I want to here it as much as possible this season.

Interesting he acknowledges the crowd aspect here. I've not been to Forest Green but they give off the vibe of a nice friendly club you wouldn't have it down as an intimidating place to go which Boundary Park can be when our 12th man is in the mood. 

Edited by GlossopLatic

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Watching that really is the icing on the cake. I’ve complained about your negative posts in the past so it’s only fair to say I’d double upvote you for posting that interview if I could.

I remember Cotterill down here when he was Cheltenham manager as a young, forward thinking and generally likeable bloke. What a miserable old git and bad loser he’s turned into! 🤣

8 years older than our manager. He's been outdone by a comparative whippersnapper!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Based on what he's shown here so far or what you've seen him do elsewhere?

We've not seen the best of him yet, I watched some stuff on YouTube from his spell at Torquay where he looked much more settled  and he appeared to influence games more, granted it was a step below but he has that ability, he's shown glimpses here and is brave on the ball which we lack.

I think he can be an important player but will need time to gel with the group, for me he just needs to play and he can play a variety of positions in a two or three in the middle.

Without wanting to offend anyone I'd like to see him in a three with Conlon and Charsley.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Hopefully it's not the last bitter outburst that we here either from opposition managers fans or players. I want to here it as much as possible this season.

Interesting he acknowledges the crowd aspect here. I've not been to Forest Green but they give off the vibe of a nice friendly club you wouldn't have it down as an intimidating place to go which Boundary Park can be when our 12th man is in the mood. 

Shittest away day in this division for me,  open end that runs down the touchline, impossible to create an atmosphere, train station is miles away, not a pub for miles, ironically I didn't find the food too bad but that's about it.

5 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Not really Ste given it is something that cannot be proven with facts.

You’re the one saying it doesn’t matter. The onus is on you.

But let’s look at Rodri for example - top 3 player in the world. The elite level of fitness you’d say. No pre season after the Euros. Back in training a month back, makes his first appearance against Arsenal and does his ACL.

Now of course it could be coincidence, but he would for sure have been short on match fitness.

Now we have a 32+ lower league forward who’s had no pre season whatsoever, and we expect him to be bang up to speed from minute 1.

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Shittest away day in this division for me,  open end that runs down the touchline, impossible to create an atmosphere, train station is miles away, not a pub for miles, ironically I didn't find the food too bad but that's about it.

Absolutely.

Unless the title is riding on it, I won’t be going that’s for sure.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Based on what he's shown here so far or what you've seen him do elsewhere?

I saw him play for Ashton United in a friendly against Latics divison 2 team when he scored a cracking goal from 25 yards and was the best player on the field. He was signed by us after that game, but ruined his progress with the car incident. Otherwise I think he would have remained have here. 

His background included 7 years at Manchester United. 

My current impression is the ability is there, but he's lacking in fitness and confidence. 

Edited by BP1960

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

And the hill up to the ground is a killer. Absolutely dreadful away day indeed. 

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I saw him play for Ashton United in a friendly against Latics divison 2 team when he scored a cracking goal from 25 yards and was the best player on the field. He was signed by us after that game, but ruined his progress with the car incident. Otherwise I think he'd remained have here. 

His background included 7 years at Manchester United. 

My current impression is the ability is there, but he's lacking in  fitness and confidence. 

Hope you're right. How long is he on loan for?

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Think we're often coloured by how wholesome and heart warming Fondop is. It's a bit like the Ernie Cooksey situation in that he's a player who gives his all, runs through brick walls, wins hearts and minds which counterbalances his lack of positional awareness, composure when given time / space and discipline. 

To be fair, Fondop is improving on some of these elements of his game. He's clearly taken on board what the management are giving him. But I tend to agree a little with you in that I don't think MM will use him to spearhead our attack once we bring a new striker in (possibly Stones) to partner Norwood.

He's scored under every manager he's had here during this transition/free-hit period the club has been through and survived any player cull.

The fact he's a nice bloke has probably raised him to cult status amongst the fans which might not have happened had he been a twat , but the fact he's still here and Shez, Unsworth, Thompson and Mellon have continued to pick him is a sign it's not just about any romantic background story (there's no sentiment in football!) they rate his ability too.

He's worked on his faults and is central to us at the moment - you couldn't ask for much more from any striker, the way he's started this season.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He's scored under every manager he's had here during this transition/free-hit period the club has been through and survived any player cull.

The fact he's a nice bloke has probably raised him to cult status amongst the fans which might not have happened had he been a twat , but the fact he's still here and Shez, Unsworth, Thompson and Mellon have continued to pick him is a sign it's not just about any romantic background story (there's no sentiment in football!) they rate his ability too.

He's worked on his faults and is central to us at the moment - you couldn't ask for much more from any striker, the way he's started this season.

There is also a pattern that all of those managers have dropped him at the 1st opportunity to do so, and of course he still gets plenty of game time off the bench but has always seemed to me to be a reliable squad player. He’s playing well at the moment and without those 2 goals we’d of course be much lower but we can all agree that his overall best football at the club in his 4th season has generally been off the bench. Major credit to him, and he deserves his place at the moment, but throughout his career he has seemed to be a very hit and miss and unpredictable player. Said it previously in this thread but there was a vast majority complaining he was offered a contract after the Altrincham game, and some of the abuse he got after that game on the terraces was uncalled for. Shows how quickly things can change in football, and I hope he continues in this form, as it means we’re doing well but I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if his hit and miss form comes back which is a pattern of his career. 

1 minute ago, daniel said:

There is also a pattern that all of those managers have dropped him at the 1st opportunity to do so, and of course he still gets plenty of game time off the bench but has always seemed to me to be a reliable squad player. He’s playing well at the moment and without those 2 goals we’d of course be much lower but we can all agree that his overall best football at the club in his 4th season has generally been off the bench. Major credit to him, and he deserves his place at the moment, but throughout his career he has seemed to be a very hit and miss and unpredictable player. Said it previously in this thread but there was a vast majority complaining he was offered a contract after the Altrincham game, and some of the abuse he got after that game on the terraces was uncalled for. Shows how quickly things can change in football, and I hope he continues in this form, as it means we’re doing well but I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if his hit and miss form comes back which is a pattern of his career. 

🙄

Well Mellon hasn't dropped him at the first opportunity, hence his heavy involvement this season.

People were moaning well before the Alty game about his contract - they then felt their opinion was vindicated based on his missing that chance.

Think we all (myself included) might need to accept there's some opinions just not for changing! 

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

🙄

Well Mellon hasn't dropped him at the first opportunity, hence his heavy involvement this season.

People were moaning well before the Alty game about his contract - they then felt their opinion was vindicated based on his missing that chance.

Think we all (myself included) might need to accept there's some opinions just not for changing! 

He did drop him though. Norwood had no pre-season and started on his 1st game back fit against Gateshead, followed by Altrincham and then Southend. Fondop was on the bench for all 3 of those. Norwood picked up the knock against Southend and then Fondop has come back in to the fold and started the next 2 as Norwood wasn’t fit enough to start (MM’s words), and then of course we appear to have reverted to 2 up front for the last 2 home games. 

I thought Dolan was the one negative from last nights performance. Didn’t show any of the willingness to get on the ball like he did against Yeovil. He didn’t offer any sort of press, which is fine if you are contributing with something creative. But he didn’t and was rightly hooked.

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

You’re the one saying it doesn’t matter. The onus is on you.

But let’s look at Rodri for example - top 3 player in the world. The elite level of fitness you’d say. No pre season after the Euros. Back in training a month back, makes his first appearance against Arsenal and does his ACL.

Now of course it could be coincidence, but he would for sure have been short on match fitness.

Now we have a 32+ lower league forward who’s had no pre season whatsoever, and we expect him to be bang up to speed from minute 1.

Again I don't really go along with the idea of match fitness.

I can understand the notion of match sharpness and maybe lacking it if you haven't played for a while.

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I don’t think it’s been mentioned, but the ball hitting Jez on the back when he had no idea was a funny moment. 

He needs to improve as he was very poor yesterday. 

He looked like a complete lottery winner last night. Hindered stuff in attack last night.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

The food aspect does intrigue me about FGR but everything else sounds pretty crap.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

The George Inn is 0.8 miles away and there was a beer tent at the ground for supporters last time I went 👍

I managed to park close to the top of the hill but if you don’t, it’s a steep walk up!

4 hours ago, daniel said:

And the hill up to the ground is a killer. Absolutely dreadful away day indeed. 

It’s certainly in an unusual location. You come up from Nailsworth or Stroud and find yourself in some v nice Cotswold countryside, then suddenly find a football ground where you least expect it. I saw us in our opening game there a few years back. As @yarddog73 says that open terrace isn’t great (especially that day when it started raining - and we lost 1-0!). I rarely eat vegan food but tbf their vegan samosas were good, as was their vegan beer. Don’t like their owner though.

4 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

He looked like a complete lottery winner last night. Hindered stuff in attack last night.

Looks to me like a player who'll do well against piss poor opposition, staggered we signed him when there was much better out there, he's a NPL player at best. Still only young but he cruises through games at times and positionally woeful. Be one for this National League Cup we are in.

• Bender unfeatured this topic

Re Fondop: I think Fondop realised that he could progress as a footballer if he stayed at Oldham under the current management. I think that's why he hung around during the close season, rather than take another offer. Hanging around paid off with a contract and he seems to me to be slowly progressing as a footballer. He is going to be left out of the team at sometime, but I feel MM has assembled a squad that can do limited rotation, and Mikey is one of these.

Re FGR/Cottrell. They/he have lost 2, Barnet and us. Other teams that have to face FGR will know it's going to be tough to get a result against FGR, but will view the Oldham match as a "how to take points off FGR". I wonder if Cottrell is concerned that an "inferior team" has shown how to defeat FGR and that other teams may look at the Oldham game and try to use similar tactics against FGR (and a reason for his anger).

Of the games FGR have played, if they scored first they won. 4 games they have not scored first (Barnet, Rochdale, Wealdstone and Oldham) they have only taken 2 points.