MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

Cotterell is a west country bumpkin who's lost 2 already and wants to keep his job. 

Eyesey is a clickbait merchant who i can't take seriously. That said there's room in society and message boards for his like and comedy. 

As for the match,  Ogle and Monty stood out again.  Raglan and Hobson played their part in a solid defensive display. The midfield did their job without completely nullifying FGR, whilst Fondop bagged. A deserved 3 points Mr Cottrell.

Edited by Lags

17 hours ago, daniel said:

There is also a pattern that all of those managers have dropped him at the 1st opportunity to do so, and of course he still gets plenty of game time off the bench but has always seemed to me to be a reliable squad player. He’s playing well at the moment and without those 2 goals we’d of course be much lower but we can all agree that his overall best football at the club in his 4th season has generally been off the bench. Major credit to him, and he deserves his place at the moment, but throughout his career he has seemed to be a very hit and miss and unpredictable player. Said it previously in this thread but there was a vast majority complaining he was offered a contract after the Altrincham game, and some of the abuse he got after that game on the terraces was uncalled for. Shows how quickly things can change in football, and I hope he continues in this form, as it means we’re doing well but I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if his hit and miss form comes back which is a pattern of his career. 

I do wonder if the idea of Mike Fondop as an impact sub is a bit of a myth. 16 sub appearances last season, one goal. 

Alex Reid however, with his extra pace, two goals from 7 sub appearances.

A few weeks ago I watched a few FGR games and listened to the subsequent Cotterell interviews . The number of times he corrects the interviewer to put his own opinion across was staggering, the guys is something else .

Hopefully by the time we go to their place our forward line will be fully fit and firing on all cylinders. I thought our defence was brilliant . Their sustained bit of pressure after 50 or so minutes didnt really create any clear cut chances or shots on target . For all Cotterills claimed dominance I dont recall Hudson having to make one save . When we adjusted I thought we saw out the game quite confortably and professionally.

There succession of corners was instigated by a bad refereeing decision were Ogle was clearly pulled back in his own box and should have been awarded a free kick. All that said they do look a good side and moved the ball very quickly , and pressed our midfield faster in the second half . But we dealt with it, I can see that there is more to come from us maybe one or two more gears when players bed in and some get fitter .

I am sure we have a couple of targets which would improve us even more but we will have to move on a couple more . Great  overall team performance without any nervous 90 's.

Edited by penrhyn
typo

9 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I do wonder if the idea of Mike Fondop as an impact sub is a bit of a myth. 16 sub appearances last season, one goal. 

Alex Reid however, with his extra pace, two goals from 7 sub appearances.

At the moment Fondop should be starting he's on his hot streak when he's hot he's a handful for any centre back at this level. Will he keep this up for the rest of the season probably not but if he's on form then he gets in.

Their was one moment late in the second half when FGR where on the attack Garner was telling Fondop to get goal side of the defensive midfielder he just ignored him as you can imagine Garner wasn't happy with him for that and let him know as he needed to be there to stop the ball coming back at us. I imagine it's little things like this that frustrate his manager and his team mates at times and have probably stopped him being a regular starter. 

Alex Reid on the otherhand shouldn't even be at the club nevermind the bench.

22 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I'll make it two words

Stick this infront of it

MASSIVELY 

Facts are since he came back from Injury he has started 5/7 games and come on in the other 2.

We are unbeaten in these 7 games. Hes getting fitter week by week.

Maybe Norwood is offering something to the team other than goals that some are missing...??

Mellon will stick with him and rightly so.

Edited by Londonboy

I think we should start the same eleven, if it ain't broke don't fix it, he may bring back Caprice for Hobson or Hammond for Dolan but other than that the team can pick itself, it's good to have options though formation wise as it keeps the opposition guessing, we could even give 4-4-2  a try as that was very effective for the last 20 on Tuesday.

5 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Facts are since he came back from Injury he has started 5/7 games and come on in the other 2.

We are unbeaten in these 7 games. Hes getting fitter week by week.

Maybe Norwood is offering something to the team other than goals that some are missing...??

Mellon will stick with him and rightly so.

There's far better in this league and no doubts on half what he's getting 

Check the list which he isn't even on 😲

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/stats/_/league/eng.5

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Can't believe that Gus Scott-Morriss, who's a full back is 2nd with 8 goals in 11 matches. Doesn't like our family stand either.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Slightly unfair comparison...and Fylde are doing great arnt they!! 

No point scoring if you can't defend...

And had Gardner really had 9 assists for this season??

On 9/25/2024 at 9:41 AM, oafcmetty said:

Ha I was sat in front of a mate of his, who spent the whole half time break talking his dad (I assume  - @Pauld2019?) through how it'd gone. Think he gave quite a rosy view... 

Musta been an imposter haha,i was sat with callums partner 

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Slightly unfair comparison...and Fylde are doing great arnt they!! 

No point scoring if you can't defend...

And had Gardner really had 9 assists for this season??

I think you're reading it wrong

9 games and 4 assists 

I'd swap Norwood in a heartbeat for either Haughton or McCallum