MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

21 minutes ago, JumpingJoshLundstram said:

Think they were both 2/3 weeks away around a week ago. 12th October is FA Cup Qualifying, given a good draw might be the perfect chance to reintroduce them. Also have that 'cup' game on the 1st October. Not sure if that'll be too soon for the pair but they might see half an hour.

Think Charsley will add a few once he's back. Hoping Kay & Otis can add a couple. Think Dolan will bag a few if given the minutes too. 

Dolan looks to have a few nice touches but his shooting?  Well...

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

It's statements like this that are just bizarre. The man's never going to be able to do enough for some people, is he?

But yeah, let's STILL worry about how we need to build the team around Norwood (who gave the ball away plenty of times last night, once on the edge of his own box which could've been interesting... probably someone else's fault, though).

Well you could say the same about Norwood couldn’t you? You say the statement is bizarre made against Fondop and then go on a tirade against Norwood, contradicting yourself. Everyone wanted Fondop gone 3 weeks ago after the Altrincham game ffs! 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

It's quite something to expect him to be 4th choice when we currently only have 3!

As for him being 4th choice, it’s very clear we are still in the market for a striker, and you know exactly what was meant by me saying he will eventually (not now clearly) be 4th choice. Our fans may not like it right now as he is flavour of the month (rightly so) but they’ll be calling for his head again if he has another spell similar to 3 weeks ago. I don’t personally know MM but I believe he rates a fit Norwood and Garner ahead of Fondop, and then if another comes in would also be ahead (as otherwise whats the point in signing them). 

• Like 1

Dolan looks "tidy" but we need him to be abit more than that we need him to be a magic man who creates and scores fairly regularly if hes going to play the number 10 role in the team. You could say that some of the others aren't magic men either but the likes of Charsley and Hammond give us abit more off the ball interms of runs and pressing.

11 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Dominate? You lost!

Get over yourself

Ha ha.

love this interview

If you say ‘we dominated’ enough times maybe you and everyone else will start to believe it’s true. 

This is trump-esq interviewing 

• Like 1

Enjoyed that win last night. Good team performance especially from the defence. Second half FGR played and passed well but were unable to breach our defnce.

Great goal from Fondop and a good assist from Norwood. Felt Norwood had a mixed game wth some nice touches at times but also lost the ball a few times, particularly that one in our on box.

Garner and Kahn did well when they came on and disrupted the passing game FGR were doing in second half.

Cotteril is an angry man. He speaks about them dominating. They did have 20 to 25 minutes in seond half where they played well but did not dominate the game.  

3 minutes ago, daniel said:

Well you could say the same about Norwood couldn’t you? You say the statement is bizarre made against Fondop and then go on a tirade against Norwood, contradicting yourself. Everyone wanted Fondop gone 3 weeks ago after the Altrincham game ffs! 

Well no - it seems Fondop can be outstanding, but we still deem him a "fourth choice striker" whereas Norwood can be as woeful (in performance and attitude) as he chooses, yet it's him who remains the player crucial to the entire thing.  That's not the same.  It's unfair.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, daniel said:

As for him being 4th choice, it’s very clear we are still in the market for a striker, and you know exactly what was meant by me saying he will eventually (not now clearly) be 4th choice. Our fans may not like it right now as he is flavour of the month (rightly so) but they’ll be calling for his head again if he has another spell similar to 3 weeks ago. I don’t personally know MM but I believe he rates a fit Norwood and Garner ahead of Fondop, and then if another comes in would also be ahead (as otherwise whats the point in signing them). 

Sorry, but I can't have a 36yo Garner ahead of Fondop on any realistic measure.  if Norwood gets back to his best (that's very unlikely isn't it?) then yes fair enough.  If he's say 80% of his best, then he's probably still first choice but the jury is well and truly out.  If Fondop does end up as 4th choice then we have either made a monumental cock up or we are blessed to a degree which seems unlikely.  If everybody really did want Fondop gone a few weeks ago then that just demonstrates what a fickle bunch we are!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GKing521 said:

😂

Love it!

Looks like the fans have taken Mellon's words on board about getting on the players backs if they're now influencing the referee in our favour!  We're all playing our part!  Keep it going!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well no - it seems Fondop can be outstanding, but we still deem him a "fourth choice striker" whereas Norwood can be as woeful (in performance and attitude) as he chooses, yet it's him who remains the player crucial to the entire thing.  That's not the same.  It's unfair.

I’m not totally disagreeing with you, but football and life in general can be unfair. Rightly or wrongly you’re not having Fondop in ahead of a fit James Norwood, that is my opinion, but I also think it would be MM’s opinion too. 
Lets not forget Fondop has it in him to be as awful as anybody. He is very hit and miss.

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Sorry, but I can't have a 36yo Garner ahead of Fondop on any realistic measure.  if Norwood gets back to his best (that's very unlikely isn't it?) then yes fair enough.  If he's say 80% of his best, then he's probably still first choice but the jury is well and truly out.  If Fondop does end up as 4th choice then we have either made a monumental cock up or we are blessed to a degree which seems unlikely.  If everybody really did want Fondop gone a few weeks ago then that just demonstrates what a fickle bunch we are!

Playing devil’s advocate, we go and sign Stones (I wish the rumours would go away, but they aren’t, so it’s clear to me we still want to sign a striker), that’s likely to be Norwood and Stones 1 and 2, leaving Garner and Fondop for 3 and 4. Not everytime, and obviously game situation dependant but for me MM beings on Garner before Mikey as a substitute. 

7 minutes ago, astottie said:

I thought he meant added time which I agree with. I was amazed he only added 5 minutes. 

I'm sure he was talking in the plural. Irrelevant as they never looked like scoring in the second half 

15 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Saw the two sides of Hobson on those highlights. Lovely ping up to Norwood which led to the goal. Then a fucking terrible "clearance" which led to them hitting the post. More of the former please!

All in about a minute, saying that some of his defending particularly covering tackles were outstanding, plus he added a bit of height to the backline, thought he looked nervy but grew in to the game.

3 minutes ago, daniel said:

Playing devil’s advocate, we go and sign Stones (I wish the rumours would go away, but they aren’t, so it’s clear to me we still want to sign a striker), that’s likely to be Norwood and Stones 1 and 2, leaving Garner and Fondop for 3 and 4. Not everytime, and obviously game situation dependant but for me MM beings on Garner before Mikey as a substitute. 

I'm still not sure if we're talking about peak Norwood's. Because it a long time since we saw that. He's had two significant injury breaks this year, is he what we thought we'd brought in 15 months ago?

54 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You couldn’t give a shit about goals as long as he plays an active part.

Fair enough.

I’d like a lot more for our marquee signing. 

I can’t be arsed doing this again because I want to be positive. But Norwoods main game is people creating chances in the box for him, it was before he came here. 

So you can’t use the fact he is a marquee signing to suggest he should be a changed player. He is what he is and is not changing at 34. 

How many times did we get him the ball in the box last night ? I can think of one that fell to him with his back to goal. 

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm still not sure if we're talking about peak Norwood's. Because it a long time since we saw that. He's had two significant injury breaks this year, is he what we thought we'd brought in 15 months ago?

Fully agree with you here, which i’ve stated already in this thread. Norwood hasn’t been the signing I thought he’d be, but the fact is he had no pre-season at all, and as soon as he was fit enough to play any part MM has started him in every game but 1. Suggesting he is our number 1 striker. 

7 minutes ago, daniel said:

a fit James Norwood

This keeps getting mentioned. 

He has been injured twice. 

Once last season and was out about six weeks. Came back and played every game. 

Then again in pre- season.

Against Alty he was subbed (I think his second game back) after 60 minutes and he wasn’t happy. Micky said in post match presser, James is a fit lad and wasn’t happy at coming off but we need to be careful. 

For a 34 year old his appearance and fitness record is actually good. 

1 minute ago, daniel said:

Fully agree with you here, which i’ve stated already in this thread. Norwood hasn’t been the signing I thought he’d be, but the fact is he had no pre-season at all, and as soon as he was fit enough to play any part MM has started him in every game but 1. Suggesting he is our number 1 striker. 

Yep agreed.  But Mellon doesn't seem to be the sentimental type and I can't see him retaining that status unless he delivers consistently on the manager's expectations

Norwood is an important player and Mellon knows he is the only one capable of scoring consistently. 

The lad missed pre season completely, you can’t just recover from that at his age. He won’t get up to speed for a fair few months, only way is to give him minutes. 

• Like 2