MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

11 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Think we're often coloured by how wholesome and heart warming Fondop is. It's a bit like the Ernie Cooksey situation in that he's a player who gives his all, runs through brick walls, wins hearts and minds which counterbalances his lack of positional awareness, composure when given time / space and discipline. 

To be fair, Fondop is improving on some of these elements of his game. He's clearly taken on board what the management are giving him. But I tend to agree a little with you in that I don't think MM will use him to spearhead our attack once we bring a new striker in (possibly Stones) to partner Norwood.

5 of 12 already in the bag. 

Needs 7 in 35 from here. . 😬😉

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Totally. He could be in line for the best season of his career which would be brilliant for us and a credit to him and the coaching staff.

Plus, you might also say he's had the benefit of a full and rigorous pre season! 😀

Look at his career and he moved clubs every single season until he came here. Unless you count time with Shez at Chesterfield and here, then this is the longest spell he's had not just with one club but with one manager and that consistency has to be of benefit to any player.  How long was his new contract for?

• Like 3

The decisions to give both Fondop and Gardner 12 month contracts after their initial release has been vindicated thus far.

Gardner hasn't featured in the last two but showed well in most of his previous games and Fondop is probably in credit, even if he doesn't play another minute all season (which seems unlikely).  

4 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I hope Mikey keeps scoring, he also made some crucial headers in the box and battled very well last night. I believe we wanted Quigley as his replacement and I’m glad we stuck with Mikey based on last night alone. 

On Norwood, I think you are slightly underestimating the impact of missing a pre season. In a recent discussion on stick it to football the subject was brought up. All the former players commented on the fact, if you miss a pre season it can impact you for the entire season and you never really get fully fit. This is further impacted by age. 

We all need to be patient with both Garner and Norwood. We will need them both. 

Right idea, wrong Quigley!

It was Scott who left Barrow to join Eastleigh.

4 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I disagree. You could see FGR wanted to play out from the back, but Norwood (and the wide men) worked his bollocks off to prevent that, resulting in their keeper or centre back having to go long, particularly first half. Second half they changed their approach and doubled up out wide, giving them more options. Micky changed our shape to 442, which looked like it'd leave us vulnerable in the middle, but meant we had extra cover on the flanks - this necessitated us going a bit more direct, which suited Garner more than Norwood, partly explaining the switch. We had a game plan, and adapted it to the situation. A good night's work all round.

Only one word springs to mind as goes Norwood

OVERRATED 

1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

🥱

I'm sure that he can do a job for us and he put in a good shift last night but I'd put the the chances of him performing like a striker playing two levels below his natural home. which is what we thought we were getting as being, precisely, nil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

A very odd fault for a professional player at any level to have.  And they're not flying over by a foot, more like twenty yards!.. 

He hit the croosbar with one and had another well saved by the goalkeeper in recent matches. 

Looks over anxious to impress IMO. 

Just now, BP1960 said:

He hit the croosbar with one and had another well saved by the goalkeeper in recent matches. 

Looks over anxious to impress IMO. 

I can only comment on what I've seen; a few nice touches but not much else.  As always I respect the views of those that have seen more than I have

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I can only comment on what I've seen; a few nice touches but not much else.  As always I respect the views of those that have seen more than I have

Dolan's a clever footballer has a great ability to switch play, technically he's way in front of a number of our players.

Given he looks like he has the ball on string at times and his excellent  close control it's surprising how poor he is in front of goal.

He does have the ability of a Haughton to find that extra yard at distance but prefers to try and lash it rather than put his foot round it Haughton style.

Dolan, Lundstrum, Hammond, Uchegbulam and even though he's playing as an holding midfielder Conlon are all poor in front of goal and it's definitely something that needs to be worked on, as has been pointed out by BP a lot of it could be put down to over exuberance and a desperation to impress but technically there's room for improvement. 

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Dolan's a clever footballer has a great ability to switch play, technically he's way in front of a number of our players.

Given he looks like he has the ball on string at times and his excellent  close control it's surprising how poor he is in front of goal.

He does have the ability of a Haughton to find that extra yard at distance but prefers to try and lash it rather than put his foot round it Haughton style.

Dolan, Lundstrum, Hammond, Uchegbulam and even though he's playing as an holding midfielder Conlon are all poor in front of goal and it's definitely something that needs to be worked on, as has been pointed out by BP a lot of it could be put down to over exuberance and a desperation to impress but technically there's room for improvement. 

Based on what he's shown here so far or what you've seen him do elsewhere?

12 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Watching that really is the icing on the cake. I’ve complained about your negative posts in the past so it’s only fair to say I’d double upvote you for posting that interview if I could.

I remember Cotterill down here when he was Cheltenham manager as a young, forward thinking and generally likeable bloke. What a miserable old git and bad loser he’s turned into! 🤣

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Watching that really is the icing on the cake. I’ve complained about your negative posts in the past so it’s only fair to say I’d double upvote you for posting that interview if I could.

I remember Cotterill down here when he was Cheltenham manager as a young, forward thinking and generally likeable bloke. What a miserable old git and bad loser he’s turned into! 🤣

It reminded me of when Mourinho would lose, just the utter bafflement stroke anger that they had somehow been cheated out of winning. . 

Love it. 😂

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Jeez, what a bitter outburst. Reminds me of Karl Robinson after we beat MK Dons a few years ago, brilliant 😀

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Obviously thought it was going to be plain sailing and wasn't banking on us coming at them like we did

Atleast he unwillingly acknowledged us as a big club in comparison to his miniscule green lot

• Like 1