MATCH: Forest Green Rovers (H) 24/09/24

3 hours ago, True Tic said:

They are a decent side but only 4 points ahead of us. We should always respect a decent team coming to play us but not overly and we should definitely be looking to win. 

Looking to win. Yes. 

but probably won’t

thats not doom and gloom. 

20 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Looking to win. Yes. 

but probably won’t

I agree, realistic. I just don’t want us to be too cautious and defensive because that never seems to work for us. 

Don't want to overdo it but this is the most excited/nervous about a game for a while

I know there will (hopefully) be much bigger ones to come but I really feel this is an important one. Lose it and we're 7 behind, lose it in an awful fashion and belief will be lowered. On the flip side, if we can go out and take the game to win, win by a couple of goals, the excitement will only rise.

Big game!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Looking to win. Yes. 

but probably won’t

Bookies have us as favourites if that's anything to go by, I thought it could go any of the three ways.

For me I'm more bothered about how we play than the actual result, if we have a go and are brave I'm happy. Let's see if we finally have a team for the occasion and our big players turn up.

Keep it tight early is crucial, FG have a tendency to start off quickly so we can't afford our usual sloppy start as an early goal for them could make it difficult.

I wouldn't be averse to going with one upfront with Dolan in behind as we looked short in the middle at times on Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Bookies have us as favourites if that's anything to go by, I thought it could go any of the three ways.

For me I'm more bothered about how we play than the actual result, if we have a go and are brave I'm happy. Let's see if we finally have a team for the occasion and our big players turn up.

Keep it tight early is crucial, FG have a tendency to start off quickly so we can't afford our usual sloppy start as an early goal for them could make it difficult.

I wouldn't be averse to going with one upfront with Dolan in behind as we looked short in the middle at times on Saturday. 

It’s a really big game isn’t it. We feel like there is progress but we don’t know how much yet - as in are we are top 6 team or are we a top 3 team? 

obvious answer is the former unless we address our issues upfront but we don’t know that yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

It’s a really big game isn’t it. We feel like there is progress but we don’t know how much yet - as in are we are top 6 team or are we a top 3 team? 

Spot on. 

One might think it’s a not a big difference as both are still an improvement. But the difference between 3rd and 6th is massive. 

3rd demonstrates a consistency and gives you one home game then Wembley. 

6th is a bit also ran in this division. We had two spells last last season were we won 2 games in 23. Yet we still could’ve made the playoffs with about 3 games to go. Plus it’s two away games than Wembley. 

I’d take 6th after the last two seasons, but it would be great if we could kick on into top 3. Tonight is an acid test for that. 

Interesting line up that. Hobson coming in to make it a little more defensive down the right, but Dolan makes us more attacking centrally. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. A bit worried to see Hammond on the bench given his results so far this season!

My main concern is Hudson under the Tozer long throw but each to their own, we can't accuse Mellon of playing it safe that's for sure.

I personally like the look of that team tonight it remains to be seen whether it's good enough.

Notice Hogan hasn't made the bench tonight with Mellon favouring the attacking option from Khan.

I'm confident tonight, under the lights it feels like a proper game, shame the crowd looks poor so far.

9 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Have people forgotten there’s a game on tonight. Shockingly low this 

2 games in 4 days…people are struggling financially and after all this is the National League!